Register now to get rid of these ads!

Empty Oil Filter Chamber? International

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Oct 30, 2013.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Went to change oil and filer on my new '52 International 6 gun. Pulled the filter out and it looked just like this, couple drops in the bottom of the chamber, not a drop off the filter. Engine runs great, good oil pressure. What the heck?

[​IMG]

2. You have a plumbing problem

3. waterhorse

waterhorse

Yep, or a plugged line. Still a plumbing prob.
    This is a new to you truck?
    Is there a shut off on any of the oil lines?

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yes, new to me. I'll check for a shutoff. I don't know if this is stock part or aftermarket. It's bolted right to the block I'm pretty sure.

Thanks.

5. I had something similar happen to me with an off topic V6 Dodge Dakota! I had the truck for several years and done many "normal" oil changes. One time I drained the oil and unscrewed the oil filter and it was noticeably light. I looked it over and it had never had oil in it. I screwed on a new filter, added oil, ran it, shut it off, checked filter and it was full of oil, screwed it back on, never did figure out what had happened.

Does that 13 lettered manure spreader have a bypassing valve that is stuck in the bypass mode?

6. Oil filters were rather late additions to motors, and most of the early ones weren't full flow, only partial flow. That's probably what you have, and if the 'feed' line to the filter is blocked, you would still have normal oil flow/pressure in the motor.

7. 1955IHC

1955IHC

This filter is not an addition it is original equipment. There is no plumbing from the engine to the filter as the filter bolts directly to the engine. With that said. Blowby I'm a bit puzzled by your problem since the engine is pulled out of my truck at the moment I'm gonna pull a few things apart and see what I can find for you. I will also check my manuals.

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  8. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

Looks to me like the only thing that could be wrong besides the pump not turning, broken pump or shaft, would be a malfunctioning by-pass in the filter mount.

My other observation would be that the oil drains back into the pan when the engine is stopped.

Evan some new cars filters drain out when not running. Chevy Cobalt 4 cyl for example.

How much pressure does the oil gauge show?

cb1

Attached Files:

9. 1955IHC

1955IHC

I would have to say off hand you have blocked oil passages to the filter housing.

Attached Files:

10. The filter base most likely has a by-pass should the filter become completely blocked, the relief valve is probably in there too.

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

So I crawled under there today and sure enough, there appears to be a relief valve on the mount. I put some MMO in the chamber, fired it up and held some heat to it, no dice. 40 psi cold at idle. Unfortunately won't be able to get it apart until next week. 1955IHC, do you know if I can get that big nut and the guts out with the mount still on the block?

In the mean time, soaking in MMO...thanks again guys.

[​IMG]

12. I'd pull the mount/filter canister off for cleaning. It would be a bad thing to dislodge a gob of crud that may go on to plug some other passage....

With modern sealers, reinstalling it shouldn't be a problem.

13. TexasJohn55

TexasJohn55
    from Texas

Hello blowby,

Break that big nut loose while the housing is still anchored then unbolt the assembly from the block. You need to pull it to free up the plunger and also to check the mounting gasket. You may have a home-made gasket that is cut wrong also and blocking filter flow but allowing flow back to engine galley. You need to look. TJ55

14. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Blowby I'm not sure. Sounds like TexasJohn55 knows I won't be able to get to that until Sat. I'll swing by the shop and grab my parts diagrams tomorrow and see what I can send you.

15. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Attached Files:

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks guys. That looks just like mine. Coming apart tomorrow, let you know what I find.

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Some filters will drain back to the pan if you wait long enough after the oil is drained out of the pan uncovering the oil pump pickup. Air works it's way through the oil pump. We try to get equipment at the end of the day when the oil is hot and drain the pan. Then change filters the following morning and there won't be any oil leaking when the filter is removed.

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Got it off and apart. The spring loaded valve wasn't stuck. The problem turned out to be this little dingus was plugged. It sits in the filter chamber, I could have pulled it right out without taking anything else off. At least it gave me a chance to clean everything. I think the spring loaded plunger is actually on the return side. Oil enters the chamber through this metered screw, and if the filter becomes plugged oil bypasses it through the plunger. Something like that. Thanks all for the help.

[​IMG]