Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need Help Finding Shocks For 51 Chevy!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KarKrazy56, Oct 30, 2013.

1. KarKrazy56

KarKrazy56
    from NJ

I have a 1951 Chevy sport coupe and the back shocks on there now are Monroe shocks. I need new ones because every time someone sits in the backseat the tires start to rub. I need something to be strong enough so the tires don't rub and I have no idea what size shocks or brand to get so please help me.
    Thanks

2. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

You are going to need air shocks, regular shocks aren't going to do a thing. You would have to find a real parts store and give them the length at ride height and what the sizes of the ends are.

3. Shocks are NOT the problem. All shock absorbers do is control axle movement. They do not, in any way, restrict movement.

Air shocks are usually a band-aid, and have often lead to broken shock mounts, as you are now asking the shock mounts to be suspension mounts, too. And they're not designed to do that (Cadillac aside).

Your proper solution?? a couple things:
    Narrower tires. You just don't have room for what you have in those fenders.
    Stronger springs. If 350 lbs causes rubbing, your rear springs are sacked and in need of replacement, or, at the very least, one additional leaf.

Easy to solve?? No, but so little is, that's why there are so many half-assed cars out there...

Cosmo

4. todztoyz

todztoyz

Cosmo's answer is spot on.

5. KarKrazy56

KarKrazy56
    from NJ

6. 1030

from so cal