Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 chevy 4cyl motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RedRodder, Apr 7, 2010.

1. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I saw that thing at Hershey a few years ago. The sign next to it stated that it was built by a farmer in the off season, from Kansas if I remember correctly.

2. Hmmm,

If it shows up again this week, someone get some pics, please- that thing is pretty cool!

3. Kume

Kume

Neal Jern Parts

Has anyone used a Neal Jern inlet manifold on there chev 4. The very small photos on his web site appear to show a mounting plate for a later ford carb?
    I am wanting to mount a winfiled on mine and was thinking perhaps he produces a blank mounting flange that could be drilled to suit.

I would contact him directly but his email address doesn't seem to work.

Kume

Attached Files:

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Sorry, didn't see it yesterday.

5. You just didn't LOOK hard enough- Slacker... :D

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Believe me, after walking through rows of parts starting at 7:00a.m., by 5:30, they were all starting to smear together.

7. You have no idea how much I miss that!

Grew up 20 min out of Philly- Hershey and Macungie were annual rites of passage with my dad and his buddies :)

8. henry roberts

henry roberts
    from australia

wow, what an awesome thread.

i'm more of a thinker than a doer, but here are some ideas for you keen guys to try.

firstly I spotted these cnc 28 rockers: http://www.1928chevrolet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=191

or for those on a budget, could an additional spine be welded along the back of or underneath the stock rocker to beef it up?

another piston thought. you would need custom rods as the pin height is a lot less (1.56" or 1.38"), but 94mm is a common oversize for vw type 1 motors. they come with a 22mm wrist pin, flat tops and there are a whole variety available, some forged, some slipper skirt, with various ring thicknesses. for you non metric guys that's 3.701" with a 0.866" pin.

for making power, would a dished piston with a fair sized ring around the edge, on a tight deck, create the squish/turbulence that someone early in the thread said these engines were lacking?

as far as vw distributors go, the rule of thumb is, for a type 1 engine, if it has a cast iron body all the lobes are at 90 degrees, if it has a aluminium body the 3rd lobe is retarded about 3deg (or so). not sure if the "009" (being aftermarket) fits this pattern though. distributors to suit type 4 engines don't have the retarded lobe.

all of the cast iron bodied mechanical advance only distributors are quite sort after by vw guys as a performance mod so are getting more expensive. the standard 50's beetle distributor (Bosch VJU4 BR8) is a mech/vacuum advance unit. the advance weights are the same as the "019" dist, so you can weld/braze the two plates in the top of the dist together and remove the vacuum unit.

there are also some Porsche 356 distributors that may be suitable, most of these have the advance all in earlier than their vw counterparts.

I hope this is of some use to you guys.

9. ebtm3

ebtm3

Henry
    Lots of good info there. In particular, I wasn't aware of the 28chevy site--joined up.

I have used B16 and B18 Volvo distributors on various 4 cylinder engines--they are the same cast iron housing as the VW, but as I recall the main difference between the two is that the direction of rotation differs. Even put them on Indian Chief motorcycle engines, after making a custom cam.

Herb Kephart

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

2000cc Pinto distributors are pretty much the same as VW. Here are two that I had the one with the blade drive is Pinto modified to work in a Plymouth banger. The one with a gear drive is VW modified to use in a Dodge Bros. banger.

Attached Files:

11. Kume

Kume

Those Neal Jern rockers sound interesting - the forum discussion was 12 months ago and I don't see them on his web site - Anybody know any more about them?
    Kume

12. Looks like he makes the adapter to put the Chevy head on A's and T's. Sells adapters for exhaust and intakes as well...and a valve kit for the Chevy head.

13. ebtm3

ebtm3

Stevie-

What about that project that you and the kids were working on???

Herb

14. Herb,

Something tells me that this will be par of the discussion on the way to Moultrie tomorrow :D!

I also picked up a Zenith 8810 sidedraft carb the other day, and have a line on another for the '28 engine, so as soon as the new daily driver (56 Chevy pickup) gets on the road, the engine project will "re-commence" :)

Lastly (Herb), you need to make some space for another orphan in your shop- I'll be bringing it up at Christmas!

15. noboD

noboD

IS William able to RIDE in the DB yet? If not, why not?

16. Oh, that's right... AFTER the daily driver AND the Dodge are running... :D

17. Went to follow up on the second Zenith carb, but it was a little marvel/schebler for a fork lift...

Sooo, if anyone has a spare Zenith 8810, I'm still looking for a partner for the one I have :D!

18. SimonSez

SimonSez

I am also a late-comer to this thread and haven't read it all, but my first thought when the lack of turbulence was mentioned up thread was the way that the Ford Kent (1300 and 1600) engines are setup with a flat cylinder head and dished pistons to promote squish.

Some more info here on other engines using the same sort of setup ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heron_cylinder_head

19. Thanks for the info and the bump SimonSez!

20. ebtm3

ebtm3

The engines with dished pistons get squish (incidentally good for power, bad for emissions) by the piston band coming close to the flat head.

To do this with a C4 would take rods almost an inch longer, or pistons the same amount higher from the wrist pin up.

I have used pistons from other engines, and even made my own--but the closest that I got to creating squish was a converted (and a lot of work) GMC 270 piston--and even then the bump on top of the piston wasn't the ideal shape.

Herb K

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I sent my rods to Egge for babbiting. They modified model A rods and sent them back. So now the old cast Jhans pistons are .420 down the hole at TDC. Is this right. Compared to my old GMC with a Howard head that's kind of deep. The GMC was .300 down. But it was about 13 to 1 as I did the math. What is stock for the Chevy?

22. Rich, TDC for a stock C4 is about 3/4" from the top of the piston to the deck...

23. Kume

Kume

Attached Files:

24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

.750. That's a lot. Thank you. RF

25. Rich, that's why a popular early hop up was to screw 1/4' plates to the top of the pistons :)

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well I guess .420 is pretty reasonable. Now I need some lifters.

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Do you have pictures of the pistons and rods?

28. Rich,

Which had do you have- 28 2 port, or Olds 3 port?

Stevie G had started putting ideas together for a 1:5 to 1 rockers, using modern roller components... he was pretty close to production... :D

29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have one of each head. But the Olds has new valves, springs and guides. So that is my plan. I need to resize the pictures. Be back.

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

OK that's done. One piston on the rod. One of the crank.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      218.7 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      210.3 KB
      Views:
    Outback likes this.