Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. YES, I agree with Tio on both issues.........
    cw.

2. I think you should turn Jimmy loose on a new E&B shirt design. I've seen the stuff that he has on files and on paper in his office, and it's amazing. So much cool stuff that no one has ever seen. I'm a huge fan of his style.

By the way, my new Rodder's Journal finally showed up last night. GREAT article on the '32. Geoff Miles hit it out of the park on the photography. They should use the '32 for this year's poster that they mail out to the subscribers (hint hint, Mr. Coonan)

3. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

i agree with tio also. i have enjoyed this thread more than any and would like periodic updates on the e&b 2dor myself! besides you can never post to many pictures...............

4. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Here are some pictures that Greg Stokes took the night he did the photo shoot with us.

Attached Files:

5. Rick
    Just a quick note.
    I took my Roadster up to Reno then up to Canada in September. I drove from Surrey BC to Insane Diego in 25.5 hours with a stop for lunch with a High School buddy for 1.5 hours. 1400 miles in 24 hours. Drove in the rain from Bellingham WA to just south of Seattle.
    Don't need no stinking side windows HAHAHA:D:D:D
    Fuzzy

6. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

rick those picks are what iam talkin bout!! they are rite on thanks for makin my monday!!!.....................

7. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Gee Rick, I can't remember when the last time I saw you do that but I think it was in a 56 Chev. Looks like you are still having fun:D:D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Fuzzy-
    I defer to your toughness!;)

Dale-
    Burnouts still get my heart pounding. I hope that feeling never goes away!:D

Can anyone explain to me the difference between Traditionally "Styled" Hot Rods and Traditional Hot Rods. What tradition are they referring to????

9. Traditionally styled - Kinda like my Roadster but with modern brakes, Late model engine, upgraded steering and radial tires for safety.
    Traditional Hot Rods - Old school, Drum brakes, hoaky steering, Flatty engine or Banger, Bias ply square tires.

10. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Then how is the sedan considered Traditionally "Styled"

11. Rick, may I remind you of the beginning of the phone conversation that you and I had about the front brake drums. ;-)

12. Don't ask me I did not make up the criteria:D

13. @Rick Barakat -

A Traditional Hot Rod ... as defined by @Ryan:

NOTE: See Guidelines: The Traditional Hot Rod Forum for more info & examples.

A Traditionally "Styled" Hot Rod ... as defined by @Ryan:

NOTE: See Guidelines: The Traditionally "Styled" Forum for more info.

So ... since the "Eastwood & Barakat" sedan was originally built in the early '80s ... and incorporates many post '64 components (four bar, tilt column, Mustang II seats, etc., etc.) ... it fits better in the HAMB's "Traditionally-Styled" category ... and yes, I do find this a bit ironic considering that in the '70s, Pete was one of the many individuals responsible for keeping the "Traditional" Hot Rod alive (when our hobby was dominated by "Resto-Rods").

The majority of HAMBers own (or are building) cars that fit into the HAMB's "Traditionally-Styled" category ... I am no exception ...

Even though my father started building our chopped & channeled Chrysler HEMI-powered Deuce 5wd in 1954, it has certainly "evolved" over the past 59 years ... the black & white tuck 'n roll interior (done by Halls Top Shop in 1957) is one of the few (pre '65) "period perfect" features that still remains in my coupe today.

In the '70s we swapped the '53 331ci HEMI (with lots of '50s era speed equipment including a CRAGAR intake & four Stromberg 97s) and the Cad-LaSalle manual tranny out in favor of a '58 392ci HEMI (with lots of '70s era speed equipment) and a '69 HEMI Torqueflite (with manual valve body and B&M floor shifter).

In the '80s, we swapped the four Stromberg 97s out in favor of a Holley 750 double-pumper ... and changed the tire & wheel combo [Front: 15x4 FISH (aluminum Halibrand look-a-like) rims mounted on 135/15 Michelin RADIALs :eek:; Rear: 15x8.5 FISH rims mounted on 7.20x11.80x15 Firestone Super Modified Dirt Trackers].

Although I do plan to someday return the "HEMI32" coupe to its early '60s configuration, its current configuration is not very "HAMB-friendly" ... so out of respect for the "rules" of this forum, I don't post many current pics of my "Traditionally-Styled" Hot Rod on the H.A.M.B. ... I figure if folks are curious, they can just checkout my HEMI32 album.

PS: Please don't kill the messenger! :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  14. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

HEMI32-

Now I get it.
    Thanks!

HEMI32 likes this.
  15. Just re-read the article in RJ on this Sedan. Great car and story. Just found this thread, been to busy building my Sedan and not paying attention. lol

16. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

As you might have guessed, I'm not much of a car show guy. But, I'm thinking of displaying the Sedan in the Suede Palace at the GNRS in January. I think it will be a great opportunity for people to see the Sedan in person.

What do you think?

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

HELL YES!!! I'm trying to convince my girlfriend that she needs to take a long cold ride in the 'bucket to go over this year for the outside stuff. She's generally much more intelligent than I am, so it's been a pretty hard sell to this point, but we'll see...

18. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

I don't know what "traaaaaaad" is, but I know what Bitchin' is. This. Please continue the thread and have Jeem do a shirt, I'm in!

19. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Just park it in between the buildings! No knock to the Primer Pavillion, but the sedan fits in better with the reacher cars you see parked outside. Hell, park it in ANY of the other buildings.

I've even caught myself using the term TRAD. STYLE HOT ROD. Phooie on that schitt! When you see a "traditional" hot rod, you know it. If you are wound so phukk'n tight that you need a black and white, stringent list of prerequisites to be a traditional hot rod, and a concession or twelve knock you outta that club(?), whatever...

20. I think you better hurry, registration ends Friday. :rolleyes:

21. I must agree. At a minimum, it should be out in front of the buildings. I would either try to get one of the cool parking spots around the fountain, or have it in the center of the main drag in front of the Suede Palace.

To have it tucked away inside of a building would almost detract from it's historical roots. It's a "hop in and go" driver that isn't afraid to smoke the tires and get dirty. It needs to be out in the open!

22. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

I got my copy of TRJ yesterday ... cover shot and excellent piece on the Eastwood & Barakat sedan story and well deserved. The sedan getting the star treatment in the Pete & Jake's ad in the same issue is icing on the cake. Most of us would be happy to build a car half as cool as the sedan ... you guys did it twice !! Well done.

Putting the car into the GNRS needs to be on your bucket list. But it should in be one of the "big rooms" with some of the million dollar "show poodles" ... I'm guessing the E & B sedan would get as much if not more attention. Show 'em what a real hot rod looks like!!

23. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I just sent in the application. It will be in one of the "other" rooms and not the suede palace. When I called them, they said the suede palace was for Rat Rods and our Sedan is definitely not that!

Now if only I could get Jeem to do the shirt for the display, THAT would be the frosting on the cake.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  24. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I don't know who the hell this Geem guy is, but I for one, would be honored!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think if you looked at most of the cars in the Suede Palace, you might question their description of a Rat Rod. To me and a lot of guys, a rat rod is a rusty piece of unsafe crap. But to a lot of outsiders, it's a hot rod that might just need a paint job or is a little rough or driven. There's a couple pics on the HAMB of cars shown at the Suede Palace. Look at them and decide. I think you may want to call them back.

26. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

What do you mean by "Geem"?:D:eek:

27. Per the Urban Dictionary:

1. geem
    Geem is a word used by geeks to describe something they are excited about.
    "I am Geeming over the new artist on Batman."

Seriously......Found this on Google.

28. I will be looking forward to seeing it there!!!!

We need to remember this one and all

If it's Bitchin it don't have to be Perfect !!!

29. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

I like your new Mission Statement, Fuzzy!

30. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Preach it!