Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the best insulation for heat AND sound?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

I want some good insulation that maximizes sound deadening AND heat shielding inside the car (my 59 Chevy). I'm actually more concerned with heat than sound.

Django used Fat Mat in his 36 and said it worked well, but their website talks all about it's sound-deadening qualities and hardly mentions heat, which makes me think that there's something better out there for heat shielding.

Thanks!

2. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Dynamat is the tits but it's retarted expensive. There was apost about Home Depot Insulation a while back...

3. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Not for heat, it isn't.

Montana1 likes this.
  4. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

made a huge difference on my friends full length header 63 impala... your feet & ankles don't get tans anymore driving

5. Hellfish

Hellfish

Fat Mat is supposed to be as good as Dynamat, only cheaper ($100/100 sq ft)

I want something REALLY good on heat, but also good on sound. 59 GMs are like ovens in the sun.

I saw the Home Depot post

6. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I used the Home Depot stuff in my truck, and it works great everywhere except the floor. After a while (I guess it's been almost five years....), some of the little air bubbles get popped, and the insulation properties are diminished somewhat. In all fairness, I had no carpet over the insulation; I'm sure if I had, it would have been easier on the stuff. But, for the price, it is a hell of a deal.

7. CaseyK

CaseyK

Evil Emery likes this.
  8. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I used the different kinds of Insulshield in my 33 PU. It was pricey, but it's excellant for heat and sound.
    http://www.insulshield.net/

9. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Fat Mat sheilds against heat extremely well. I told you that!

For the money involved, if you go with anything else, you are crazy. Period.

Put some on your roof too.

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That's cause of the glass. Putting the Fat Mat in the roof will help alot, but all that glass is what makes it hot. That's why they call those cars "greenhouses".

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Dad JUST did the whole inside of his car with Lizard Skin, Nashman posted the link. He does not have his door panels on yet but took the car out for 2 hours on Saturday in 97 degree temp, no air, and was raving afterward that he can already tell the difference in heat and sound. He has dynamax before in same car. He was SSSHOCKED at the difference. He's giving me his leftovers for Big Olds :D

12. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF
    BANNED

Third party testing was done on every type of Sound proofing and heat shield made in the world. Dynamat was far ahead of second place. Its the best product for it. There were some products in that test that actually made heat worse... and didnt do anyhting for sound.

Spend the money and do it ONCE! Its worth it. you'll know it the first time you slam the door.

DILLIGAF

13. brandon

brandon

HEY ....WAIT A MINUTE......ISN'T THAT YOUR CAR IN THE DYNAMAT PAMPLET....???????? BEING ON THE CHEAP SIDE .....I HAVE BEEN USING "SEM'S" SPRAY IN BED LINER FOR SOUND DEADNER.....ITS CATALIZED.....AND SEEMS TO HOLD UP NICE ......USED IT ON THE FLOOR OF JACKS OLE 65 CHEV TRUCK ......ITS ALSO AVALIBLE TINTABLE.... BRANDON

14. CaseyK - I clicked your suggested link. Are you testing our sense of humor or our smarts?? They are beautiful little Lizards, but it would take hundreds to cover my truck's floor and lots of tape to try to keep the little fellas in place. How would you keep them from squirming away or starving or dying of thirst?? Got the wrong web site - maybe??

15. So, really guys, what is THE best for both heat and sound? OR would you guys suggest one brand for Heat and another brand for Sound? At 74 this is my 1st and quite probably my last street rod, so I wish to get it right this first time = retired pay, you know ! ! ! A local rod & custom shop recommends Dynamat. Thanks, Murf

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Holy 8-year old thread resurrection! Hah! Ok seriously, the best thing to combat noise is mass. So you want a heavy film. The Lowes peel-n-seal roof patch is pretty good for that, and cheap. 2 layers should help a lot. For insulation, you want air pockets. So maybe a combination of the peel-n-seal and the Home Depot insulation stuff will get yoiu where you wanna be. Cheap too!

17. For a real test- choose your seal of choice and lay it down=1 layer. Start your car,let it warm up,and sit inside. Put your hands to the floorboards....Too hot?:confused:
    Nothing say's you can't double up where the exhaust heat is the most profound......
    I did the same thing,although sat in my car with shorts on,and quickelly learned that I did'nt have enough insulation. Another layer was all it took,and deadened the heat AND sound that much more. It's a trial and error,but don't be shy to double up some.....
    That was sans carpet insullation. Now,with a rug,just a lil warmth is all that is felt if just a lil.....

18. And to answer your Q somewhat- I used the Eastwood stuff. Cheap and plentifull.....

19. I used the peel n seal from Lowe's and reflextix (foil bubble wrap) on top of that on the firewall. Spray contact adhesive to hold it. Still have to put the reflextix over the peel n seal on the roof and floor, but the results are worth it. The best cheap improvement I've done.

Sent by a Western Electric Dial-up Modem

reagen likes this.
  20. 5window

5window

Heat and sound insulation is not traditional! :)

21. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Jute is traditional ;)

22. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

my car is sealed up with dynamat, floor, top,side panels,works great

23. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Look on amazon for dynamat. Waaaaaay cheaper than ordering through a speed co. I got mine for about 135 shipped. It is really heavy so prepare for the shipping cost...

24. 2racer

2racer

25. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I bought mine from Summit Racing. They had it on sale for $125 for
    23"x12" 18 count sheets. Worked great.

26. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I have a flat floor on my 31 Essex so I placed Home Depot alum with the air bubbles, then acoustical ceiling tile face down followed by 1/8" Masonite and the carpet.

No heat, no sound and no big $$$

There is another BIG thing that affects the sound in a car. When I bought my new 2002 Mercury, I test drove a car with a velvet like interior. As I am a grease monkey, I chose leather for my ride.

There was a BIG difference in the noise level in the two cars; I wouldn’t think that they were even the same car!
    I had a pair of Cadillac’s, 88 and 89, same difference.

I also have a motor home that I installed carpet on the ceiling in the livening room. I never got around to doing the bed room and there is a big difference in even ambient sound and heat transfer from the sun in the two different rooms. I used the ceiling tile on the floors in the bed room that is over the 8V71 Detroit and it kept that quiet too.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  27. Gusaroo

Gusaroo

Does the Home Depot / Lowes stuff smell like asphalt when it warms up from the engine or sun? I know I've heard about this and asked on other similar threads...but never get a straight answer.

28. junk

junk

I just did a whole pickup in Lizard Skin. Still in parts so I can't say how it helped. It did really take the tinniness out of the panels when hit though. They have a Heat product and a Noise product.

I'll probably do fatmat over it also. And extra jute type stuff on the carpet and headliner. I hate noisy or hot vehicles.

29. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Years ago I had a big block nonAC Vette that you could fry an egg on the floor board. I wrapped the exhaust pipes with a heat wrap and bought some jet engine shields made from very thin stainless steel and mounted those between the exhaust and floor board and that combo dropped the temp inside at least 10 or 20 degrees.

Recently bought 2 rolls of Peel and Seal at Lowes for less than $40 and
    got a large roll of aluminum foil bubble insulation at the last swap meet for $20.
    Hope the combo will do a whole car.

Here's a Video on Peal&Seal:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSxeKNcnQg

30. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

If it does, I haven't noticed it.

reagen likes this.