Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I dont do em often!!! whats it worth thread Halibrand magnesium QC value

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by titus, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titus

titus

So i very very seldom do a Whats it worth thread but this one im not sure of and could use some help, only because of the extenuating circumstances, Im helping a buddy sell some stuff from his brothers Estate, so this is me helping out a freind sell some stuff to cover bills etc etc.

Its a halibrand 201 v8 quick change rear end center section, its magnesium, it looks likes it was all rebuild, it does not have a ring gear so it would need to be re-set up, it also comes with 6 sets of gears, it alos looks like it was all rebuilt, and or course it has a crack, i dont think the crack would hinder its use but im sure some will disagree, its in the upper web just above the the pinion gear but not where the inner pinnion bearing goes, its about 1" to 1-1/2 long. i tried to take a pic but it doesnt shop up but ill try again later.

So if anyone can help with a real world price that would help, i generally know it is gonna range from $1000 to $2000 but want to pin it down closer.

thanks everyone for your time.

jeff

Attached Files:

2. alchemy

alchemy

What is going on at the bottom bolt for the side housing? Is that area messed up too, or is it just a blotch of something else?

Welding magnesium scares lots of guys, so I'd think you need to find the "right" buyer. Usually that means a little lower price.

If the case or cover say Culver City on them, I'd start the price at $2,000 and you can always go down. If they are Torrance parts I'd think $1,500 would be the starting point. The new bearings have got to be worth a big chunk.

If you can find somebody who can weld the case you will definitely be many $$ ahead.

3. titus

titus

It is just a blurb and some minor corrosion.

The rear cover says culver cit and is aluminum

the body just says cali on it no torrence or culver

4. I traded one for a 31 pickup cab and bed and the guy got $1400. for it on egay.

BUT..... I just bought one with a Torrance rear cover, side covers and no shaft for $350, plus another $100 for a nos lower shaft.

The gear sets are worth $0-50 depending on the set number. Most are ratios not suitable for
    street.

Quit a range in values.

5. silent rick

silent rick

i had to pass on a nos 201 bare housing on ebay that went over 1500 bucks

6. I have no idea for pricing, but I am looking for one to install in my latest build. So when you come up with what you want for it let me know....
    Thanks

7. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I have mag quickee in my modified, got it with a ring and pinion, one set of change gears and it was setup for an open drive line. I bought it from Vern Tardel for $1200. I rebuilt it with all new bearings, put in ARP studs and have at least 15,000 miles on it by now. I also had it Dow 7 treated for corrosion resistance.

Rex

8. Still looking guys......I need a quickie...

9. uncle buck

uncle buck

I didn't realize this was the classifieds.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.