Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Axle shaft question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hoodprop, Oct 29, 2013.

1. hoodprop

hoodprop

So I am prepping my axle pull the axles out to replace bearings. Do these look OK to run still. Seem to be a bit worn.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

Can't really tell from the photo...how do they feel?

3. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

I just did the bearings and seals in my Olds.....If you "Think" they are worn, now would be the time to replace them, now that you've got the axles out, instead of having to worry about them at a later date.

HellRaiser

4. aaggie

aaggie

Wheel bearings are cheaper than replacing quarter panels that get ripped off when the axle breaks.

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you pulled them to do bearings, then I'm unsure why you'd question if they need bearings? If you wash out the bearings and then spin them, you should be able to feel if there are rough spots. Or if they fell out of the housing then they may be sloppy on the outside.

6. 54nomore

54nomore
    from illinois

I assume your asking about the seal area wear. It IS hard to tell from the picture, but a little shiny is OK as long as there isn't a considerable groove.

After enlarging the pic those seal areas look fine, but you might want to de-rust the top one in the picture

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013