Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to install lowering blocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mel Walters, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Mel Walters

Mel Walters

Needing help installing 3 inch lowering blocks on my 1950 Ford Custom. Installed driver side rear. Jacked up rear axle at the pumpkin, placed jack stands at the frame on both sides of the car. Cut u bolts off and pried them over the top of the axle housing. When I did this, the leaf spring dropped but the axle housing shot straight up nearly taking my head with it. Going to install the passenger side tomorrow. Am I forgetting a step or is this normal?

2. Lucky you didn't kill your self

The RIGHT way to do this is to put jack stands under the frame, Let the rear suspension hang so the wheels are off the ground. After you moreover the U Bolts, slowly jack the rear end up from the spring until the block will slip in. Let the jack back down. install the new ubolts and torque to spec.

3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Try jacking up the rear axle at the pumpkin, place the jack stands under the frame rails on both sides, then let the jack down. Now take the u-bolts off and gently jack the
    pumpkin up till you get the clearance you need to install the lowering block.

Here's what I think happened;
    The jack has pressure built to lift the back-end of the car as well as the rear axle and
    springs. When unbolting the axle you removed the weight of the car and the axle shot
    up.

Lucky you didn't get hurt.

4. Mel Walters

Mel Walters

Thanks to everyone for the help!!

5. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Just don't do this...

A guy I know sent me this picture..

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383083924.822380.jpg

6. chromeazone

chromeazone

Good luck with the 3" blocks on your Shoebox. I did that and I could not get a tire off or on unless I also unbolted the shock absorbers. Not a "road friendly" operation for a flat if you are concerned. The rear drum is now tucked up inside fender well.
    Anyway, the car looked GREAT in the back! However, after cruising around town and scrapping driveway dips and parking lot speed bumps, my pipes were getting flattened out on the bottom, and banging up who knows what.
    Long story, but I took out 3" blocks and went with 1 inchers. Thought I might have to sacrifice some cool for a little practicality for driving. I hope you have better luck.

7. just wondering if you still had the stock shocks on? I run a taller shock, I think they were meant for a 61 Ford

8. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

You gotta be shittin' me?:rolleyes::D

9. PackardV8

PackardV8

Just know lowering blocks are for cruisers only. They increase the leverage of the axle against the spring. With 3" lowering blocks, hard acceleration will twist the rear spring like a pretzel.

jack vines

10. badshifter

badshifter

That's a "shock block".....