Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Flames on a custom ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Hemi j, Sep 28, 2013.

1. killer-D

killer-D

some of my flame jobs

Attached Files:

2. McPhail

McPhail

i like em.....

Attached Files:

3. I like that,McPhail! Love the colors....

4. Frank32

Frank32

Great looking flames!

5. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Flames are just like any other custom paint, they need to compliment the lines of a car. some bodies look better with flames than others. Personally I can't say if I like them or not because it has to be on a car-to-car basis.

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Best response yet! :)

7. pitfarm

pitfarm
    from UK

Saw this at a race meeting.....nice A, note flame on door handle! Now the 32 beside needs a good roughing up and def some strong flameage......wassat you say??!!

Attached Files:

8. i personally think flames are WAAY overdone, and VERY stereotypical. I mean, when the average person thinks of "hot rod" the first thing that comes to mind is a 32 ford with, of course, flames. now when I cruise down the road I don't want to hear normal people say "oh wow, look at that hot rod" I want them to say "holy shit WTF is that? honey, hide the children!"

but of course my opinion is useless, as is everyone else's. but seeing something like that buick that larry Watson did, or the 55' chevy, will get me running like a four banger. when they move respectively with the curves of the said car there's nothing that beat them, leaving the normal people saying "I....uhhh, think.. it's a hot rod..... maybe."

9. During the 80's and 90's it seems like guys were flaming everything! Most traditional guys don't like flamejobs. You go to any Good Guys event,or Streetrod show,and there are flames on everything!
    One reason why I don't usually like flames on cars.
    Pick-ups,VW's,Musclecars,Bikes,Vans don't look good with flames to me.

10. I think flames look great! as long as they are on someone else's car.

11. I don't think it looks bad if done right. But personally I prefer scallops and other thing like paneling. I do like the true fire if done right. But that's because I can airbrush me some and know not everybody can do that. :p

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. I don't care for the "Real Fire" flames at all. Although,it takes "Real Talent" to do them! I watched Lavalle do them at a paint show once. Pretty amazing...

13. and that's why I don't go to goodguys. bad bob speaks the truth!

again!

if you guys wanna see how a REAL kool kustom is painted, check out his 60' ford pickup. best scallop job I ever seen.

14. I think mild custom = flames ok.

Full-on custom needs paint to show off the work, not hide it.

IMHO.

15. fordflambe

fordflambe

To me, flames are like tats.............some are beautiful, some are ugly, some people wear them well and some don't........some people like them and some don't......regardless of what you do with flames, there will be those that don't like them and those that do.............

16. xwing01

xwing01

Quite honestly, you can start with about anything... enough money and time invested and it can be cool. Same goes for flames, they have their ability to go either way, cool or not so much.

17. haha...thanks,but "BEST" is really a stretch! I was going more for the look,than the quality.

18. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

51 Chevy . . . Personally I think this car would be a bit of a yawner without the flames.

Attached Files:

19. Mercchev

Mercchev

I think they look great...As has been said: It's all personal taste

Attached Files:

20. seventeenseconds

seventeenseconds

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385752894.293857.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385753059.075846.jpg

Always loved the flames on this Pontiac, it's a shame they're not worked into more modern renditions of panel paint at this level. They add a ton of interest to an otherwise dull body panel. Perfect

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

That Pontiac is beautiful BUT I hate the flames ! The reason I started this thread was because when I went to Santa Maria this year there was a killer 59/60 pontiac that belongs to one of your members Seventeenseconds and the only things that looked like an after thought was the flames, less is more ! It's like a beautiful women with to much makeup or jewelry . More rounded customs like 49/51 mercs, shoeboxes look great with well done flames. But it seems to me that mid 50's to early 60's customs look better with panels, shading or scallops but not to many. Less in more !

22. TrampHammer

TrampHammer

<--- I had flames on mine for a little bit

23. 31SedanMan

31SedanMan

Well now...I'm a bit late to this thread. I'm not old and I'm certainly not young but if all our rods /customs looked alike this wouldn't be any fun would it. I often study what I see here and out at shows wherever I go and get ideas, inspiration, etc from other guys cars whether or not the overall look is for me. Vanilla is...just vanilla... That my take.

24. I wanna build a top like this for my '41 Ford convert. Do you have more pics to show?

25. chopt49

chopt49

how about this one, that was a lot of masking! Kinda dig it! Minus the goofy spider on the nose. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

26. What he said!

27. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

Now Bad Bobs Merc looks great but the chevy went way to far !

28. 'Mo

'Mo

Another one by Watson.

[​IMG]

29. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I've always been a flame guy.
    Customs- that's a bumpy road.
    Bad Bob's flames work for me. Kind of a modern traditional look that compliments the car.

Flames are a very personal choice & definitely make a statement.
    However- mixing flames w/ panel paint jobs or other styles conflict each other IMO.
    Sometimes, I see customs that look to have every paint concept known to man laid one one car! Really?
    Flames also hide perfectly flat sheet metal. My roadster, while it's not a custom is a perfect example & still applies. Before flames- it was simply gloss black & extremely flat. A car parked next to mine would be a perfect mirror image in the side of my car. Flame it & that went away. Instead, the focus was the flames instead of the extremely flat panels & the work it took to get there.
    Customs are all about body lines. The more mods, the better it will look w/o flames.

Flames are so overdone now. Everything is flamed now. New cars, trucks, mail boxes, toilet seats, phone cases, etc. Most cars today look like a vinyl flame overlay- no thought whatsoever.
    I thought I would never say this but I probably won't flame my current car.

30. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I like flames on kustoms!!! I feel they are one of those love em or hate em kind of things... heres the flames I did on my Packard a la Krylon, before I frenched the lights and put it half in primer...

[​IMG]