Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A Tudor - My 1st Hot Rod - it's Alive!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rgriesbeck, Oct 28, 2013.

1. rgriesbeck

rgriesbeck
    from Vancouver

Hi all,

First off I want to say thank you for all the information I've gained here over the past week! I just picked up my 1st hot rod last week - a 1929(?) Model A Sedan. I've recently become very interested/attracted to Model A's, I think because of Ratrods. So I've been hounding my Dad (who builds airplanes) to do a father/son project.

He has a 31 "Vicky" that he wouldn't let me hotrod , so I started putting out the feelers and found a partially done sedan. I have a friend that does Model A's and thanks to him, I scooped this up (before anyone else found it) for $1600.00. Most of the frame is done, it's got a merc flathead that is supposed to work, brakes are done, etc.

As I've spent time here looking, I'm really liking a traditional high boy, with a small chop.

Here's a few pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    cktasto, kiwijeff and mike bowling like this.
  2. rgriesbeck

rgriesbeck
    from Vancouver

I know it still needs a bunch of work, but for our 1st Model A, I think a lot of the "tough" work has been done already. My 1st priorities are:

1) check the engine and make sure it's good.
    2) swap out the 3 speed tranny for an S10 5 speed.
    3) put in a transverse leaf spring in the back (to replace the sketchy springs already in there)

I'm open to any and all advice on how to get started. I've started a parts list, but am open to anything help you can give.

3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That is a great start for your project. I think I would leave it fenderless and - if you're feeling brave - chop the top about three inches.

More advice: Save every receipt for everything you buy for the car, especially if you do not have a title for the car. Have fun. Good luck with your project.

4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

That looks like a great start. Welcome to the HAMB. Show us some chassis shots.

5. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

welcome aboard. before the forum police come down on you, post an intro in the new members section. Secondly this is not the place to speak of RR(r#t r#ds) traditional styled hot rods and customs. that said looks like a good starting point.

6. rgriesbeck

rgriesbeck
    from Vancouver

I should also say, the plan is a chopped high-boy sedan.

Here's a few more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jkeesey

jkeesey

Looks like a great start and for a great price. Around here that body alone would go for almost double that price.

8. rgriesbeck

rgriesbeck
    from Vancouver

thanks

9. F&J

F&J

Looks like a real Dago hammered 33-36 front axle. I see quite a few genuine old time traditional things to brag about. Nice start, at a steal of a price.

Carlus Rex likes this.
  10. xwing01

xwing01

you scored huge, please dont rat it out...

11. Model T1

Model T1

Projects My 1st Hot Rod, My 1st Post

New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!

And if you plan on being a ratrodder make this your last post. That's just my personal opinon as a groucy old bastard.

12. rgriesbeck

rgriesbeck
    from Vancouver

And if you plan on being a ratrodder make this your last post. That's just my personal opinon as a groucy old bastard.
    [/URL][/QUOTE]

Sorry, I meant to say that it was ratrods that got me interested in Model A's, but since I've got the car (and been spending a bunch of time here) I'm planning a more traditional Highboy with a 2-4 inch chop.

Thanks

13. rgriesbeck

rgriesbeck
    from Vancouver

Thanks! My friend was very excited to see the car, and hates me for the steal I got on it.

I've been told it has a lot of real traditional parts and was done right with a lot of traditional methods. I'll take a few more chassis pics too

Stogy likes this.
  14. Good luck with the project!

15. rgriesbeck

rgriesbeck
    from Vancouver

Here's a couple pics I found of the front frame and suspension:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy and Jerrybigbird like this.
  16. F&J

F&J

Yes, the builder had his shit together.:cool: The drilled lower shock stud in the axle, as well as the front tire size and tread, brakes etc...it's all mid to late 50s stuff.

take your time to plan it out right. Don't go buy a bunch of new magazines. Look at OLD pics of rods from back then, not modern pics of what is percieved to be traditional.

Stogy likes this.
  17. rgriesbeck

rgriesbeck
    from Vancouver

Thank You, as a newb - can you be a bit more specific? My friend has also said the same thing, and I'm counting on his guidance, but I'll take as much advice as I can get

Stogy likes this.
  18. F&J

F&J

19. Whole thing looks pretty sketchy. I would try to get rid of it.
    When's a good time to pick it up?

20. wicarnut

wicarnut

Welcome! & Congrats! Looks Like a great starting point. Good luck with your first Rod. John

21. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

That's a hell of a start, good price good find. Nice to see more local rods, I'm a young guy based in Fort Langley. If you need a hand sourcing parts or want to talk traditional rods PM me.

22. That's like starting a race half way to the finish line.
    Great package of parts at a great deal.
    Do it right, make us jealous.
    Welcome to the HAMB

23. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

Your flattie is worth atleast $800 or more. U got a great deal.

U can edit ur first post and remove the rat words or ull get a lot of grief from some not so pleasant people fyi.

Good luck with your build

24. rgriesbeck

rgriesbeck
    from Vancouver

This is the type of friends I have...

You can pick it up anytime, for $8500 :p

Stogy and Denns1989 like this.
  25. I'm so excited for you, and for the rest of us who are passing the torch of traditional hotrodding to the youngsters. You will enjoy and appreciate rodding this tudor. Having that Merc mill and so much of the chassis already set up traditionally is a great foundation, and the price - well, the hotrod gods are shining on you.

Do something on it every day, if nothing more than wire brush or sand off a little rust or corrosion, and don't ever let lack of money or time discourage you. Sit down and figure a plan, share it with us to get priceless experience and insight, and then set 'em up and knock 'em down until you reach your goal.

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. ty johnson

ty johnson

27. rgriesbeck

rgriesbeck
    from Vancouver

Thank You, that's very nice. I'm new to all this, but I'm reading a lot and treating my brain like it's a sponge

28. rgriesbeck

rgriesbeck
    from Vancouver

Here's a few rear chassis pics. I'm not sure what the previous guy was going for with the rear springs, their connection to the chassis seems kind of suspicious. I'm open to any and all advice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. I would put the rear of your frame on jackstands before those coilovers tear the crossmember out! You're right, that looks very sketch!

Good start on a great plan! Keep us posted.

I also have a new(er) Tudor...much more "stock" than yours!

Stogy likes this.
  30. rgriesbeck

rgriesbeck
    from Vancouver

So would I be better to fabricate something to attach the coils better to the crossmember, or rip them out and go with a transverse leaf spring? What would be the proper traditional way?

Thanks

Stogy and King ford like this.