Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest We lost a hot rod legend today - RIP Earl Wade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by innovative1, Aug 17, 2012.

1. innovative1

innovative1

We lost Earl Wade(Dyno Don crew chief and engine building genious) today. He was one of my best friends and by far the best engine builder I have ever known. All those that had the privilege of meeting him with miss him greatly.

Rest in peace my friend

larry short likes this.
  2. 65COMET

65COMET

WOW,what a shocker!!! He was out at the CHRR last year helping out the Ford Powered cars and just hanging out with the crew! He WILL be missed!!! ROY.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Our hobby is getting older, isn't it . :( Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Don

4. Deuces

Deuces

RIP Earl...:(

5. Earl was the "throttle" man for Don at Service Chevrolet in '61 when they tuned the engine in my RPU. Then, later Earl tuned it for me when he partnered with Dick Burgoise. Sad to hear we've lost another pioneer. RIP Earl.

6. SOHC427

SOHC427

Roy, got the 5 am call from Ken, hearing this news.
    Shocked isn't the word, because I talked to him Wednesday morning, after his VA visit. Earl said he was fine, and he would see us in Cali, at the CHRR.
    He will be missed.
    Eric

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear that, it's hard to loose a close mate. My condolences to the family. Stay strong.

Doc.

8. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Sad news.Met Earl couple times.Remember Dyno telling Racemad and me at York Reunion some years back that he was so happy Earl showed for his birthday that year.
    RIP Earl

9. Dean, in 1961 it was still C.S. Meade Chevrolet. I sat on the trunk of many cars on Don's dyno. Don was a good engine man in his own right' I always remember spending time at Don's house about the time he built a 450+ ci blown 283 sbc for a 4 door model A. he said it would twist that A in half if the power ever got to the ground.
    BURGOISE & WADE were true legends in their own time. happy sailing Earl

10. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Sad day indeed. Another legend lost.

11. frank spittle

frank spittle

What I will remember fondly was when Don and Earl were both in their 60s and still having fun with Dyno's Nostalgia '62 Bel Air Pro Mod racing Beswick and other geezers who had decided let's do it again. It was like back in the 60s.

12. 296ardun

296ardun

Great loss, he was a great builder, dyno guy, engineer, etc...a regular at Blair's when he and Bourgoise were racing, remember him well although it has been many decades...

13. Maybe you sat in the bed of my RPU. It was so light, it was tough hooking it up on the rollers. Wasn't sure when it became Service Chevrolet. I remember thinking how ballsy Don was leaning over an engine power timing it at 6 to 7 grand.

14. RIP my friend! Will never forget our memories together!

"Fast Eddie"

Still in SHOCK!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  15. PVTA Jay

PVTA Jay

RIP Earl

SS/S staging is growing a lot up there

16. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

I found out today the Enderle Bug Catcher we're going to run on our AA/FA was bought new by Earl Wade in 1974. So Earl Wade will live on. Its going back on a Ford also.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  17. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Sorry for your loss. I was thrilled to meet him and Dyno. A guy I know [Dave Mcgrain] called me and said Dyno and Earl were at his house working on the P/M 62? They were in Indy for the Super Chevy Show. Got a couple of t-shirts and had them autograph them for me. Still have one of them in a drawer. Tom.

18. 32 for me

32 for me
    from SO. CAL.

Since this came up again I thought I would share my time with Earl. In the late 80's Don Nickelson and I teamed up with my Pro Stocker with Earl doing the tuning. Don drove the car at National events and I drove it at match races, and Earl kept it running. He was amazing seeing things as the car whent down the track and making adjustments. I had so much respect for him.

Attached Files:

19. larry short

larry short

respect RIP I was serching earl wade and came across this forum . i had never herd of him befor i just purchased a barn find with a what looks to be a 351 sbf with a big plaque on it that says earl wade racing engines also has custom headers and alot of race parts .so i am starteing to learn about earl wade a legand starting to make me wonder about the whole car i purchased

20. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED