Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 49 Buick sedanette build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ausbuick, Oct 18, 2011.

1. ausbuick

ausbuick

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371118301.952048.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Just had a good read through this thread, nice one!

hope to see you around :cool:

3. ausbuick

ausbuick

Thanks Liam, All the best mate.

4. ausbuick

ausbuick

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371985691.351379.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371985643.601685.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371985671.318112.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371985710.118035.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Nice one, you getting ready to lift the body with the hoist?

6. nali

nali

7. ausbuick

ausbuick

Soon Liam got to get the chassis notch and floor sorted first when my mate is ready.

8. ausbuick

ausbuick

9. nali

nali

Good. I suppose he had the infos I was missing :)
    Nice to see you keep the Str8. Most of the Buick here have a swap to another engine.

10. ausbuick

ausbuick

He played around with Buick straight 8's a bit back in the day, and he's very knowledgeable, I think he said that the impeller was stainless as well.

11. nali

nali

On my 1951 263 engine, it s made of iron.
    Maybe there are differences with years.

12. Wow and I thought my Caddy was stripped! Nice work :)

13. ausbuick

ausbuick

Thanks Cam,
    Hey I think your caddy is about the same..... How's things?
    Cheers Darren

14. ausbuick

ausbuick

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375092446.882130.jpg

I really need to get some jobs out of the way to get the 49 moving in the right direction, (lucky the cash funds it)

15. One of the best shaped cars of all time. I have a photo somewhere of a black Caddy Sedanette we followed on our way to Melbourne after the 2003 Geelong Nationals during our honeymoon road trip. My 46 ford is off the chassis now and I used the chassis mount points to lift the body and the same points to bolt it to the rolling tilt-frame it's on now. I figured if that's where they mounted the body -if you lift it evenly then no probs. Yes it's hard to fit in with kids but better lookin at it than lookin for it.

16. ausbuick

ausbuick

Cheers Mate

17. ausbuick

ausbuick

Hi blokes,
    I just purchased a 1941-42 Buick dual carb set up, I could not help my self, not some thing I need but something very very COOL.....
    I found them locally on eBay on a random search of Buick eight parts, not something you would really find here in Australia, both carbs need to be rebuilt but what do you expect for a 72 year old part.
    Cheers

18. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Good score. A rare find anywhere these days!

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

20. ausbuick

ausbuick

21. ausbuick

ausbuick

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377692250.893547.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377692273.937998.jpg
    Here it is.

22. ausbuick

ausbuick

Just a Quick question if anyone knows anything about the 41 dual compound carbs and if they worked well with two of the front carb with a straight linkage?
    I'm tossing up the idea with them rather than 97's
    Cheers Darren

23. telekenfun

telekenfun

Darren, It's Kb here. We have a 49 Super sedanette. Two years ago I built up a 263 for it. I applied all the standard hop-up methods. Bored it, took .020 off the head and the deck. Carefully ported all the runners in the head and valve bowls. used 1.60 intake and 1.43 exhaust. Had Arias make us pistons that were machined to fit the chambers with 9.5:1 ratio. I modified the rockers for 1.66:1 ratio and had Dema Elgin cut a special cam. I used the 41 compound intake/exhaust that I port matched to the head. I stayed with Stromberg aerotype carbs run in unison. But I used AAUVB 267 carbs that Buick put on 320ci Roadmasters, on 1/2" tall 4 bolt adapters. Installed a 700R4 for a tranny with 3.08 Caprice rear end. The car runs STRONG and smooth with a 500 rpm idle. It won't pass for a muscle car but it has no trouble running away from nearly anything around me in traffic. The exhaust note when I step on it is something to hear. After getting it finished and getting a couple thousand miles on it, I'm happy with the way I did it and wouldn't do it any other way.The engine looks so right in the engine compartment, it WoWs people. I posted elsewhere on Hamb about my engine mods. If I can i'll try to post a picture or two of ours. Best regards and good luck with all your endeavors. KB aka telekenfun

Attached Files:

LONG likes this.
  24. ausbuick

ausbuick

That really sounds sweet KB, I plan in shaving the head down a bit to get the comp up, a little bit of head porting and same as you match port the manifolds.
    I'm interested on how it sounded at idle, I was thinking of running 2 97's but I still want to run the 41 air cleaner, if they don't work I will runn two front carbs.
    Thanks for the inspiration KB
    Cheers Darren

25. telekenfun

telekenfun

Darren, KB here aka telekenfun. While you have your front clip off, this is the perfect time to modify your drivers side motor mount. This is essential if you want to utilize the 41 compound int/exh manifolds. I will attempt to attach pictures of how I did it to our 49 sedanette with a 263 installed.
    To figure out where to start I dropped the engine mounts upper two holes to the lower two holes in the block. Then I welded a extention plate above with holes to match up with the upper two block holes. Next I lopped off the top of the frame piece and cut a vertical section from the remaining stand equal to the center to center distance between the upper and lower block bolt holes. Then I welded the top piece back on. I finished it by grinding smooth and painting both pieces. No one has yet noticed the mod while looking in the engine bay. Another recommendation while welding the frame top back on is: That You do this all while the motor is still in the frame (old or new) This way you can insure that the engine is sitting level side to side and that everything is going to lineup easily. Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

Attached Files:

26. telekenfun

telekenfun

Darren, I would be conservative on milling the deck and head. On Team Buick there are claims that .200 thous can be removed but other claims by that poster have been found erroneous so to me I need to doubt that information. Something like .060 off each surface would be safe I believe. Besides head work the biggest improvement will be in getting modern pistons which will be much shorter, lighter, and won't have 4 rings, (less drag) the rings can be narrower as well. Go to ARIAS, ROSS or any custom piston maker for a pop-up piston to get 9.0:1 or higher if you can afford octane boost. Pistons alone could get you another 40 hp.
    Don't bother with 97s, the stock ones are better. But you really need more carb than what came stock on a 248 in 41. I suggest 53 aerotypes from the early V8s (AAUVB 267). They are just slightly larger than the bore size of manifolding.
    As for the sound of ours, while idling at 500 RPM the exhaust tone is pretty quite even with 24" Thursh Glasspacks. Quiet enough to barely hear the action of the solid lifter valve train. It's quiet enough to please my wife lets say. But when I step on it, out comes this crackle like a string of fireworks going off. Sounds like "look out I'm comin though!" And then I get the "look" from my wife. It's loud enough to cause me to back off the throttle a little when I see a police cruiser. Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

27. Sorry slow reply Darren. Know exacyly how you feel - just had #2 son 6 weeks ago with 3 yo #1 son already keeping me busy! Unfortunately no progress on mine. It is sitting in my factory waiting till I catch my breath.

Frustrating, but hey they are not making any more of them are they!

Great to see you getting somewhere and nice work on the dual carb set up. I would have bought that myself if I had seen it just for the fun of it!!

28. ausbuick

ausbuick

Thanks again KB your a fountain of knowledge aren't you.
    Cheers Darren

29. LONG

LONG

I took .035" off my head with stock internals. there's plenty of room. 263

30. EBW

EBW

Just stumbled onto this thread and subscribed. Love it !
    I recently picked up a 49 Sedanette also, and am watching your build for inspiration.