Register now to get rid of these ads!

AA/FA or AA/A Build Plans Ever Exist ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Candy-Man, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Are there any plans in existance for a late 60's AA/FA or AA/A ? I have lots of pic's, however; any plans out there ?

2. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Good question. Some of the chassis builders may have some. If you look at the history of the class people ran a few types of chassis. Some guys used square tubing and built a more "hot roadster" type chassis and some built tube "dragster" type chassis. Logghe,Exhibition Engineering, Woody Gilmore, M an S, and S and R all build chassis.

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I read a story about Wild Willie's Winged Express once. He said they built the frame out of muffler tubing (!!) so when they bent it up at a match race they had a constant supply of repair mat'l in any town in the US. "Awful Awful/Fuel Altered" was an apt description for that class.

4. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Shoot Rooman a PM. First class chassis builder and knows his history.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I know you are looking for late sixties chassis design, but If you can dig up a copy of Car Craft from January '66, they did a six page article on then state of the art commercially available chassis for Altereds. It was right at the begining of the transistion from straight rail box tubing chassis to the later Funny car type chassis, and the article features pictures of both from several companies. A couple of features on Altereds too.

6. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

7. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I can't speak for what everyone does, but I have seen professional dragster chassis builds. The primary dimensions, locations, and mounts are established on the build fixture, the rest is referenced off those points and/or fixture's platform and centerline. No prints or drawings, just a list of dimensions and locations.

8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Ive built 6 of them (100 to 105 wb)
    What do you want to know?

9. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I have spoken to Rooman (AKA: Keith) and he will be building the chrome molly chassis for me, however; I want to have all details for Keith. Actually Rooman, re-built the Winged Express after the crash a few years ago......

Keith is the best of the best !!!!

Regarding muffler pipe as referred to above, yes, good old muffler molly !!!!

10. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I realize there were no plans from what I can find, however; I want the late 60's look with AA/A 392 hemi and a 'T' body.... Not a clone of the Winged Express as I will not be using a sprint car wing on top of the cage, however; just searching for build styles which would fall within the current rules....

Do you require carbon fiber brakes on a AA/Altered ? I know all nitro cars now do....

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

[​IMG]

100" W/B because 105" looked funny and blown Donovan 417
    advanced ET spec.

12. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Excellent looking Fiat, however; straight axle up front, around 98" is what I am thinking...

Are they "Hedman" Headers on that hemi, as I see a strap from the tube to the flange....?

13. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Glad you found an answer. I've crewed for Roo on a NTF he built, and can tell you his chassis work is first class. You'll love it. Keep us updated!!!

14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

What about where the frame rails were ground flat?

I built the headers for the Fiat it also. A straight axle would be like Gary Hazens "PANIC", It was built with some Sprint car influenced torsion front end.

15. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Love your headers....

What are you referring to regarding the "rails ground flat". I am obviously missing something ?????

16. Janurary 67 Hot Rod, I always like the look of Otie's T alterd by the way not that these pictures are that car

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  17. snaptwo

snaptwo

Candyman, what do you intend to do with this altered ? The Wing ,Bradford's,Pure Hell,Nanook and Rat Trap usually run expo. at CHRR and the March meet and are totally different designs. They do have to pass tech.- belts,can,floaters,fire bottles,diaper,blower restraints and chutes up to date. 25% back ,crankshaft centerline,some up,some down,take your pick. I know from a tech. incident several years ago that the powers that be would just as soon have a bunch of short funny transformer style altereds. C/F brakes? don't give those people ideas ! Say hello to the "Beez",Spence

18. rooman

rooman

Not when I drove it

Roo

19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Sorry , does not pertain to your altered question.

20. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I was just talking to Beezer last Sunday, he is still the same & doing well, however; Joan is having a difficult time but will be fine !!!

I am leaning towards the Winged Express look...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  21. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

I've always liked Rod Hynes cars, The Scrounger" and his Coors Light Altered.

22. snaptwo

snaptwo

Rod is my hero , great guy and loves them short open wheel cars whether in a circle or straight line.Thanks for recognizing him.

23. oldbutstillyoung

oldbutstillyoung

Well I my be able to help haveing built the first Beaver Hunter in 1965 and again in 2011 what is it you want to know? By the way the Scrounger was owned by Stan Luckas in the 70's in was ran as the Beaver Hunter for a some mounths

24. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

That is the look... I am interesting in the rail design you used, front end set up, trans, pretty much the whole car.....Ha Ha Ha... Very similar to the Logghe "Winged Express"...

Do you like typing, if not, I would call if you prefer ?

25. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

The very shory wb 23t pick up Scrounger is very cool. I think it was also the Beaver Hunter at one time. As a kid I remember watching Rod Hynes in his fuel altered at LACR. I think that's what got me this sickness!! I've got the ex Bob Picket ex Bobby Lagana FC in my shop right now. My racing partner and I are building an injected altered using a 34 coupe fiberglass body.

26. oldbutstillyoung

oldbutstillyoung

Just back from the moon get together and cacklefest the motor was bad ass 92% with big flames give me a call 562 803 6722 any time

27. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

Anyone know what happened to the Scrounger or the newer Coors Light car?

28. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

I think it became the Pandemonium at some point in time and he built a new chassis with a 23 T body?

Not my photos

Attached Files: