Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '63 Falcon, and '39 Chev gassers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1971BB427, Jun 19, 2013.

1. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Really looking forward to it.
    Thanks

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Considering the summer and October we're having, I may have changed the weather patterns just be getting them working! Didn't have a drop of rain this month until today!
    Well I use Rain-X on my Austin, but in monsoon season that doesn't work well! ;)

3. Bump Stop

Bump Stop
    BANNED
    from USA

All those pundits who say tunnel rams are slow starting, have an off-idle bog and are gutless on the bottom end are full of crap, aren't they?

I live sorta near you. You might recognize my 34 Ford pickup - was in the February Expo show. Maybe I'll see you around next Spring.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, I think some of what is said about tunnel rams can be true, but it's definitely not all true! I have tons of low end power and torque with my 464 BBC and the tunnel ram. My Austin has a 327 with shorter Holley Pro Dominator tunnel ram, and it took a lot of tweaking to get the funky 450 Holleys to work well. I attribute that to the 450's having mechanical secondaries, but no secondary accelerator pump. If they were either vacuum secondary, or had a 2nd pump, they would have taken less fiddling.
    The twin 600 Holleys on my Falcon bolted on and worked perfectly right out of the gate.

I may have seen your '34 PU, but a picture would help jog my memory! :)

5. Yeah I have the 450s on my Roadster now. I just have to remember to get them flowing before I feel the need for speed.
    They do teach you to be cautious when you nail the throttle tho

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

On the 327 in my Austin I had to change accelerator pumps to 50cc, jets, (and cams) power valves, nozzles, and tweak the timing. The lower tunnel ram on my Austin's 327 actually doesn't build as much low end torque as the usual high tunnel rams, like the one on my Falcon, so it had a horrible stumble off the line. Good news is it performs great after the changes, and with 3.73 gears and a 3 spd. automatic it still gets 22 mpg on the freeway at 65 mph.
    I wish the Falcon got even half that mileage! I'm afraid to even check what kind of mileage it gets! ;)
    As you can see in this picture, the tunnel ram on the Austin is short enough that I had to use two cast aluminum spacers to get the Hilborn scoop through the hood!
    [​IMG]

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

New leaf springs arrived today, but not as pictured. No bushings in either end, so I need to make some up. I've got a bunch of NOS Energy Systems poly bushings, so I'll see what fits and chuck them in the metal lathe if they need re-shaping to fit my new rear springs.

8. Bump Stop

Bump Stop
    BANNED
    from USA

I sent you a pic via PM.

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Thanks! Got it!

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

11. raidmagic

raidmagic

Awesome work. Retired guys building cars rule. My dad is building a C cab. How about a few shots of the Falcon and Austin together?

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Never thought about that! Good idea, but might have to wait until spring! The Falcon is back in the canopy getting some changes made over the winter!
    My winter list includes:
    New rear leaf springs and bushings.
    Reworking the ladder bar mounts for more ride height adjustability.
    Finish up the body work.
    Finish up carpet and interior.
    Pull headers and either paint or coat them. (they still have original coating)
    Change out the 40 Flowmasters. Don't like the sound, maybe glasspacks.
    Tint the windows amber or red.
    Maybe paint, depending on my budget.

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Nobody seems to offer poly bushings for early Falcons, or early Econoline axles. So I had to take a different route to replace mine. I got some measurements from an online source for various modern vehicles, and ordered an Energy Systems poly kit. These are for a late model GM 4x4 truck, and give me enough for front and rear springs on my Falcon. All are for 2.5" springs, so they needed to be cut down. I checked them for fit in my new rear springs and had to turn down diameter on two pairs to fit the front eye. I also took the others over to my buddy's house to check against the Econoline straight axle we have out of his car for paint, and they fit perfect.
    Chucked them all up in the lathe and turned the one set down 1/4", and then cut them all off 1/4" to narrow them. Ready to start installing the new springs, and bushings now.

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Got this picture sent to me today from a guy who attended the Billetproof Drags back in August. Pretty cool angle and technique. Makes it look better than it really looks!
    [​IMG]

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Picked up a neat old 60's Lakewood scattershield for the Falcon. Put it on the winter upgrade list to replace, along with some other changes. It's not "NHRA rated" today, but I really like it. It's the old 2 piece they made early on that allows the bottom half to be separated for clutch/flywheel work! A local CL bargain at $60!

[​IMG]
    It also happens to be a dual bolt pattern, so it not only fits Chevy, but also BOP too! And on closer inspection, it has the holes for Tri 5 bellhousing mounts also! Pretty cool old bellhousing.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  16. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Nice score on the scatter shield! I have been looking for one for my Olds 455 for awhile> Gotta be in the right place at the right time!

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've missed out on several while putting the car together that were much later Chevy specific models. I ended up using a stock Chevy aluminum bell and have been on the lookout for a replacement for months.
    Seems I was meant to miss out on the others to stumble onto this one! Just wish it would have been during the build so I wouldn't have to drop that heavy ST10 four speed!

18. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm guessing NHRA in their infinite wisdom thought it might be weaker than a one piece. But looking it over good, I think the way it's put together would make it plenty strong! The overlap at the allen bolts adds a lot of weight, as do the tabs on each side, but sure appears to be a strong design.

20. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

21. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Cool Lakewood bellhousing. I bought one new in the late 70's but let it go on a car I sold about 30 yrs ago.

I recently bought a used one also, but it doesn't have the slave cylinder mount like my first one did. I may have to fab a mount if I don't go with mechanical linkage. Looks like yours has the mount on it.:)

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yeah, mine has the slave cylinder mount, but I built mechanical linkage, so I'm not using it.

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Had an shock today when I began pulling the trans to swap bells. Two ears broken off the 4 speed! All bolts were tight, and I am running a rubber trans mount, so couldn't figure out the problem. Called a buddy to get the number of a local fabricator who can weld the ears back on the trans, and he told me to measure the opening in the old aluminum bell for the bearing support. Turns out I have a Chevy truck bellhousing on the BBC, and it has a 5.125" opening. My ST10 4 speed has a 4.686" bearing support, so the opening is too large, and wasn't supporting the trans properly.
    Had I caught this I could have purchased a reducer ring from Advanced Adapters for $32, and it would have saved the trans. Now I've got to take it to get welded before I can do the change. I feel a little stupid, as after many decades of hotrodding I'd never heard of a difference in the opening on trucks vs. car transmissions. Guess you're never too old to learn something new!

24. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I hear ya! Seems like as soon as I think I know what I'm doing I don't!
    Hot Rods! A never ending learning process!

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not sure when the larger opening appeared in Chevy's lineup, but I've been doing Chevys for nearly 5 decades and never knew about this until now. Did a lot of searching in the last 24 hrs. and there's tons of info out there, now that I know what I'm looking for! :)

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Picked up the trans and bell today. Chris did a fantastic job of welding and draw filing the mating surface to get it all flat again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Probably wont get things going back together until after the holiday.

27. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Nice looking work done there!

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Thanks! Chris did a great job!

29. cktasto

cktasto

Great thread, thanks for sharing.
    What bracket did you use to mount the ladder bars to the axle?
    Thanks!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon