Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Half-Fast" Model A Tudor sedan build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big daddy Raleigh, Oct 27, 2013.

1. big daddy Raleigh

big daddy Raleigh
    from Denver CO

So here it is, the beginning of the Half -Fast build thread! Yes, chuckle at the play on words. Like a fine single malt scotch, this beauty will be awhile in the making. Yet my goal is that the final product is simultaneously subtle and complex. Alright enough with drinkin' analogy or I'll never Get 'er done!

To quote my buddy Ron, "The strongest thing this car together is a dream!"

As a new father I've reignited my creative outlet. Why? Those who know-know!!! At this time we have 3boys under 2yrs old, and to be the best I can be I must channel my energy. Nothing better than building my dream car!

Alright so enough about me, now on to the car!!! "It's not who's the fastest nor the slowest, it's who's the longest and the lowest." Doug LaRue
    Let's paint a picture and do a little bench racing. The body is a '30-'31 ford model a Tudor sedan, with a built nail head with a multi-carb set up (blown if the budget allows) wide white pie crusts on ten spokes up front with wide white slicks on 5 spoke out back. The front axle will be suicide with f1 brakes & split bones & a hd 9" out back. Then for body, channeled, angled chopped, dropped widened in the back with a canvas roll back roof like the the old VW's had. I want the proportions to be right, the car must speak to you and make you do a double take- no f'ing 1-800 hot rod here! As for the color, I'm leaning towards noble spinel mica that Lexus uses. For the rest of the details you'll have to check in as I build it!!!

You're experience, insight & encouragements are always welcome!!! Meanwhile, I wish you curmudgeons & dream killers a double helping of karma.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Where's the photos of our candidate that will be the recipient of all the dreams?

Curmudgeon?,,you talking to me? HRP

3. autobilly

autobilly

Originally Posted by big daddy Raleigh [​IMG]

"You're experience, insight & encouragements are always welcome!!! Meanwhile, I wish you curmudgeons & dream killers a double helping of karma."

It'll never work!:D

4. 2racer

2racer

curmudgeons?
    isn't that what the english have with tea?

5. I believe that would be a scone.

A Curmudgeon is a person (especially an old man) who is easily annoyed or angered and who often complains but Curmudgeons are supremely independent thinkers, very wise, and have excellent senses of humor! HRP

6. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Lets see the pics of the project. Sounds about like mine.

7. big daddy Raleigh

big daddy Raleigh
    from Denver CO

For a future time reference, a current pic of the boys:
    [​IMG]</a>[/IMG]

Setting up the angle of the rear four bars:
    [​IMG]</a>[/IMG]
    The body is just resting on the frame bench for storage. The rear wheel will be centered in the wheel arch. Because I'm cheap, the string method and a lot of measurements is how I roll! After doing some research on four bar set up it, the bar need to intersect somewhere between the upper part of the bell housing & the carb. There is a ton of Internet research between the drag race & circle track worlds that hopefully this car will hook up! Ill admit some horse shoes & hand grenade engineering here.
    Making the axle tabs:
    [​IMG]</a>[/IMG]
    The edges are painted yellow so that I can see the difference from side to side. I wanted to make the symmetrical yet all I have are basic tools. So to make them symmetrical, I took the four brackets and turned two opposite of the other two and lined them up with the bolt holes. Then took it to the grinder & belt sander to even them up.[​IMG]</a>[/IMG]

Side note for those wanting to make their own-these started off as 3" wide strapping cut longer than I needed, find the center line of the piece, mark the center of the 5/8" & 3.25" holes & drill/cut through all four pieces at the same time so that right or wrong they are all the exact same.

Here is what all of the final parts look like. The bars are from a C4 corvette rear spindle upper & lower control rods. I chose these because they are super cool looking, cheap & short since I want to keep the rear seat.
    [​IMG]</a>[/IMG]

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014