Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 caddy suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CadKong41, Oct 27, 2013.

1. CadKong41

CadKong41

I'm new to the forum and starting to build a 41 caddy model 61 fastback aerosedan.I am interested in front suspension upgrade.I like the ride and handling of GM clip better than MII (have both) and it appears that upgrading the factory IFS to PS and Disc brakes is VERY expensive.I would appreciate anyone sharing their experience as to what you used and how well it worked.

2. anteek49

anteek49

My '41 has a '77-'79 caddy seville front clip,easy as a camaro to do.

3. Curly5759

Curly5759
    from Aridzona

I used an '81 Camaro clip. Fit was almost perfect. The point where the parts were joined is all but seamless. Had to cut a coil off each spring to get a decent ride (zero suspension give with stock coils). Has worked very well, very happy with the results.
    Mine is also a '41 Fastback, 6127D

Curly

4. CadKong41

CadKong41

Thanks for the info...do you have install photos or finished car shots tou would share??

5. I think this is a NOVA clip. that vintage Seville was based on the Nova platform.

6. I have what I believe is a 72 Nova clip under my 41 Caddy. It was done many years ago, before I owned it. Its a project Ive never driven. Seems to be a very nice fit though. Caddy 500 sitting in there too.

There are pics in my album. I have no idea if there are suspension shots though, and its buried back in my FILs barn so getting pics is close to impossible.

7. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Not a nova...unless you are talking about 75 or newer nova..
    68- 74 nova are rear steer same as 67-69 camaro.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Ill have to ask the previous owner ... but I bow to your obvious knowledge over this kind of stuff over what I know.

9. CadKong41

CadKong41

Thanks all for the information.On the other side of the fence,can anyone give me suggestions on upgrading original IFS ....Rebuild kits,dropped spindles,disc brakes,power steering.Vendors,suppliers,or shops that do the work.Thanks.

10. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hey hey , my 39 has the same setup and it steers easily with the manual box , you could just refurbish what you have , brake shoes , wheel cylinders avaiable on #bay , im just sayin...

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, it was 'based' on the Nova. But I have owned a Seville some years ago and also had a '79 Seville clip and Nova clip. The Caddy is considerably heavier in construction. The Seville is not just a Nova with cosmetic changes, but a "platform architecture' that was significantly tweaked for the Seville application.

This opinion is not just idle 'pride of ownership', I actually wasn't that impressed with Seville, but based on an examination of the components utilized in both.

Actually, the '77 & '78 Seville had smaller brakes and the 5 x 4.75 bolt circle.
    If you decide on a Seville clip, look for a '79 model.....12" brakes and 5" bolt circle.