Register now to get rid of these ads!

Running knock-offs on the street

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stovebolt55, Oct 27, 2013.

1. stovebolt55

stovebolt55

I really like the looks of wheels with knock-offs and no lug nuts.

Is it practical to run wheels with knock-off adapters on the street? I don't really want to drill holes and run safety wire unless I have to.

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Most good knock-offs are LH thread on the driver's side and RH thread on the otherl. That mostly prevents the KO nut from backing off on heavy braking. Ask any Corvette or Cobra owner how often their KOs have come loose. Ditto any early Austin-Healey, MG or other similar vehicles.

3. Leviman

Leviman

They should be fine, however i heard of a guy who flipped an austin healy crossmember upside down to put a sbc in it. Both front wheels came off hahaha

4. Skidder

Skidder

I am running knock-offs on my 64 Corvette. I mark the spinners with a sharpe and check them every time before I drive it. Its just a habit I do after reading all the bad stories about them flying off cars...

5. Chuck R

Chuck R

You can always use safety wire. I always like the looks of safety wire, when I used to road race motorcycles we had to safety wire every bolt were there was fluid behind it. Also as I recall axle bolts and a couple other spots. Heck it's been 30 years since i raced and my memory may be slightly blurred by time. Still the look screams racing to me.
    chuck

I found this picture
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. luke13

luke13

i quiet like the look of well done & well placed tiewire but thats just my opinion,maybe try some loctite 277 threadlocker, so long as ya dont go silly with it and only use a few small drops,

7. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

The Rudge style KOs you find on brit cars have splined hubs and the KO nut mates with the hub using a taper. If they're tightened properly using a big copper hammer, they won't loosen. Genuine Halibrands are also secure. I have no idea about anything else, never encountered them.

8. Fenders

Fenders

Just the opposite:
    left side = RH thread
    right side = LH thread.

Hold the KO still, rotate the tire forward, and the KO should tighten on.
    The rotation of the tire should tend to tighten the KO.

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You know Fenders that one had me scratching my head.
    I would say if you run them you need to get in the habit of checking them.

10. squeaky32

squeaky32

on our rivera we run them, never had a problem with them loosing up, we just got in the habit of checking them at least once a week. the car is driven hard too, so if they were gonna loosen up they would have by now.

11. 63comet

63comet

If they're pretty knock offs you can use a wooden "wrench" over the ears and thwap that with your copper hammer. Otherwise, if my memory serves right, copper side to loosen, rawhide side to tighten.

I dealt with lots of LBCs for a while and don't remember ever hearin about anyone having issues with them on the street. The only ones I remember being safety wired were on the Cobra.

Another good thing about the copper/rawhide hammer is that it doubles as a motivator for your electric fuel pump.

12. DRZ23

DRZ23

Drill them for set screws?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Bad idea, if it was possible to do, the set screws mess up the threads badly when they are tightened down.

And the loads that will loosen a knock off spinner would easily overpower a set screw anyway.

14. The are fine but making a habit of checking them at least once a week,,keep that brass hammer or rubber mallet handy! HRP

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

DEPENDS...........Check to see what brand wire wheels you have to know for sure which corner gets the proper hub and direction to install and remove the knock off cap. Rudge, Dayton, Buffalo all have their own designs and you need to follow the original instructions. Bob

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I lost a knock off wire wheel on my 62 Corvette and it ruined my RR 1/4 panel. It turned out to be a good thing. I swapped the Corvette for a 41 Ford sedan delivery project and cash. My last Corvette. I went back to my roots!! I chased after the wheel and tire as it just missed T boning a late model Ford SW. and went straight up in the air when it hit the curb. My date came back to me and said is this thing any good?...it was the 3 bar spinner.:rolleyes::D The guy that I traded with lost the left front a while later....so I'm not a big fan anymore. I can only speak for my personal experiences.

17. DRZ23

DRZ23

Nylon tip set screws .

18. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

play it safe and safety wire them!.. too easy to forget to check them....

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Have no holding power at all :) ( If they even exist :) )

20. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

[​IMG]On my race cars we always drilled a hole straight through the very end of the axle and put a spring pin through in case it came loose the wheel would not come off.

We used wheel knockers to tighten and loosen them. Never had a problem.

21. mike bowling

mike bowling

I had a '56 Jag XK-140 roadster(yeah, yeah, I know, but it WAS a roadster) that had wires and knock-offs, and as I recall, it came with a brass headed hammer .Previous owner said check them once a week with a couple of "taps"( as mentioned before) , and I drove the tires off that car and never had a problem ( or used tie wire). But I was 24 then (1973), and probably not as safety conscious as I could have been. Play safe and good luck. Mike

22. stimpy

stimpy

62 mgb with a 327 sbc crammed under the hood , never had a problem with mine except the rear ones , they would get excessively tight , only problem I had was bailing the wire rims up , switched to solids and had no more problems , just keep your brass hammer in the trunk and tap them every few weeks .

23. I ran an MGB (fitted with a Rotary engine) for years and never checked the knock offs and I never had a problem and it saw some rough old roads.

24. duke460

duke460
    from Wisconsin

Had them on my MG and never came loose. Needed to carry a big lead hammer to get them on or off. When I build a replica Cobra looked at the options. Biggest issue is most kit widen the wheel base 1-2" which you need to account for in your suspension. I went with conventional,lugs and a spinner cover. From street looks like regular knock off's but lugs hidden under spinner.