Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Speedo gauge I.D. Help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by drmrman, Oct 27, 2013.

1. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

Hey guys! Been cruising in the 32 a lot lately! Everything has been going awesome except my speedo is acting up.... The needle bounces all over the place and doesn't seem to ever settle down and read accurately.

It doesn't have any markings on the face. And it is NOT back lit... Was wondering if anyone could give me some info on this speedo. Maybe if someone makes a rebuild kit or maybe where I can find another, to build a working speedo. I'm using a new lokar cable so I don't believe there is any issue with the cable....

Any and all help appreciated! I really like the 70mph limit. I have no desire what so ever to put a 100+ mph in it...

Thanks!!!

[​IMG]

2. When in doubt, pull it out. Sounds like the cable either is dry of lubricate or it has a kink in it. Unscrew the cable housing from the back of the speedometer and then pull the little flex cable from the housing. You should clean and inspect it, if good, lubricate this cable with vaseline petroleum jelly and put it back together.

3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

73 mph..........probably for a boat or motorcycle.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  4. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

I'm going to disconnect the driven end right now and see if I feel it binding. I lubricated it well when installed it. I will check again. Thank you!

5. Doubt if the Speedometer head is bad, but one way to check is, take a drill motor and spin up the back of the speedo where the little square cable goes. Take a #2 leaded pencil with that pink eraser at the end, cut off a piece of the pencil a couple of inches, insert that end with the eraser end sticking out, in your drill motor and press that up against the little square drive of the speedo head. You'll have to figure out what direction to spin it, just watch the needle. It should spin freely and with no needle bounce.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  6. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

Bitchen right?

7. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

Great info thank you. In the garage now :)

8. 9 times out of 10 a bouncing speedo (not the kind you wear) is due to the cable not being lubed properly.

9. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

Just figures it out. I cut the cable 1/4" too long so it's binding up when the line is installed on both ends. Thanks guys

10. upspirate

upspirate

I love a happy ending!

Glad it worked out cheaply and easily!:)

11. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Truck maybe???

12. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

Just kidding.... Didn't work..... Took it on the highway.... It was WAAYYYYY OFF and ended up braking the needle.... I don't know what happened but it's trashed.

13. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Looks like a SW or AC equipment speedo.The normal truck SW speedo was a 80 MPH unit.

14. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

It was a KS. Didn't do any research it yet. Had a stamp march 11 1957 on it

15. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Your speedometer is out of a International truck also used by Divco its a King Seeley used in the late 50's early 60's. I have a parts break down and should be able to do the repair if you want to keep it. PM me or contact me through our website. Hope this helps.

16. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

After your PM I decided to hit the archives at the shop (ie the crap in the basement that never gets thrown out or scraped) and found your speedometers long lost twin. When my dad was alive It was a running joke around town that if there was something you needed that couldn't be found go check "Buster's Basement " cause he's got everything, I even sell on eBay under the name "Buster's Basement ". Anyway we can't backlite from inside cause the speedo takes all up all of the room in the can but I found another can we could use that you can lite from the outside with regular lights or an LED strip.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  17. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

Oh man that is awesome!!! How much larger is the other can? As you can see in my picture I don't have much room to go bigger. With the slots in the can I could possibly light it from the outside with dash lights.

Sorry I haven't called yet.... This week at work has been rough.

18. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Can size is the same 3-3/8 just like your old can, it will drop right in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using H.A.M.B. mobile app