Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine swap 61 Chevy C10

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MaacK, Oct 26, 2013.

1. MaacK

MaacK

HI..

Got a 61 C10 w/ 235 and 4speed coming home this christmas from Colorado..Thinking about a Engine swap

Does any one know if a 283 will bolt up whit the org trans:confused:

Any other things you could recommend me Before a swap like this, i would be thankfull.. stuff like Flywhell flexplate fit ..

Did a search but couldnt fing anything..

Thanx..

Maack

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  2. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Squirrel knows and posted to a near identical thread recently.

3. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

What trans? Mine was a six now I have a 283 mated to an sm420. I am using same motor mounts.

4. I've done so many 6 to 8 swaps in these and can't recall having to go out and buy anything special. The last one I did, I used a 327 that came out of a running car that I was using. The swap went so fast, that the 327 was still warm when I filled the radiator.

Bob

5. squirrel

squirrel

60-62 are quite different than 63-66 trucks. Hydraulic clutch, funky front mount, different frame rails, torsion bar suspension, etc. It's been so long that I don't remember the tricks to make it work. But you'd need a different bellhousing to use the stock hydraulic clutch setup with the V8, and it was only used on 60-62 V8 pickups.

6. F&J

F&J

Going to Sweden... I'd see if the seller can find you a bellhousing to ship with the truck. Colorado should have some trucks, and I think late 50s bigger series trucks used the hyd clutch v8 bell. I had a 59 big truck 348 with one. Might find a farm tuck donor

7. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

Put me in the way back machine, had a 61 C-10 in the early 70's, came w/the 235 and 3 on the tree, got the V-8 bell housing new from the Chevy dealer. Seems like that was a about all I had to come up with. Had a 283, 327 and 348 in there at one time or another, blew up many T-10s and Muncies, never had trouble hammering gears with the stock juice clutch master and slave cylinder. Last stanza was a 73 454, 11" clutch from a 70 Vette and a M- 21 2.54 1st from a 70 Chevelle. Could stay with 350 hp chevelles and 383 Roadrunners thru 3rd gear, drop the hammer @ 5500 rpm, that old rear suspension would work. Was Blue Blue w/cab high cap and chrome reverse with baldy hub cabs, extremely loud dual pipes.

8. MaacK

MaacK

ok.. guys thanx for the replies!

I want to use the 4speed trans that´s in the truck, if that was unclear to anyone??.. scence im tight on cash, ill try to use as much original stuff aspos.

Great advice on the bellhousing.. i´ll look in to that..

I´m just gonna go heads on w/ this Project.. it´ll be fun and ill probobaly lurn a thing or to along the way:)

keep posting if you got more!

Always nice to geet som new ideas..

thanx

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

60 to 62 V8 bellhousing and flywheel and mounts should do it.

10. MaacK

MaacK

thanx guys.. Gonna start looking for some parts and see what i can find!

great advices.. just what i was hoping fore..

Gotta love the H.A.M.B.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will look in a local junkyard the next time I am there but they are probably all sixes.

12. MaacK

MaacK

Junkyardjeff: Thanx man that would be áwesome.. shoot me a PM if you find something!

Im gonna go hunting on ebay and see what ill come up whit!

The treasure hunt is half the fun:)

well well .. thanx a bunch guys.. Got what i needed to get going a Little !

MaacK