Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sometimes, shit just happens when you actually drive 'em...ouch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad54, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

10 years, well over 80,000 miles, 20 states... it was bound to happen sooner or later.

One the way to deer camp; 8-pt buck, 185 pounds (we weighed it), 70+ mph.

Shoved the grill back 6 inches into the radiator, and the radiator back 9 inches into the fan. From what I can see, the battery is laying on the valve cover.

I've already got another hood... it's not great, but it can be with some work. Have a pair of fenders that need a bit of attention, a grill surround that's perfect, powdercoated inner fenders, and a chrome grill.
    I need to find a new core support, and bumper. What I don't think I'll be able to find is the rare V8 emblem... it got cracked. That's the hard pill to swallow on this deal. They're rare as can be, and I scored this one for $20 a few years back. Dammit.

Most of the meat on the deer was blown... I was able to salvage the backstraps and the tenderloins--everything else was bruised and bloody, even on the side I didn't hit.

Two tines on his rack were busted.
    I dropped it off at the taxidermist and he's going to mount it with his eyes shut, his tongue hanging out and his head hanging/drooping, and I'm going to mount the front 8 inches of the wreck on the shop wall below the head.

-Brad

Attached Files:

2. tragic59

tragic59

I applaud your sense of humor over the accident. Glad the only ones hurt were the deer and suburban.

3. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I've already called the soda blaster... since it's my daily driver, I've never really been able to take it off the road for paint. Now I HAVE to take it off the road, so I might as well paint it too. It's going to get blasted, I'll cut a couple storage areas into the interior side panels in the back of the cargo area, replace the dash with a good one I've been saving for it, and then paint it dark green metallic with a silver greenhouse/roof.

-Brad

4. Ouch.. is right! Good thing your okay.

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

The phrase "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade" comes to mind;)

6. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

Man I worry about that every morning since I've moved to the mountains and saw a guy kill a deer on his bike. I hope that never happens to me. Glad you're ok and have a good additive about it. Glad it wasn't too bad

7. I'm thinking it came out pretty good, considering what it hit.

Glad you are okay and the truck will live to see another day.

8. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Ouch! It's amazing how much damage a deer can do to steel!

9. upspirate

upspirate

I see it a lot on my daily run....even the smallish deer down here can do big damage.

Glad you are OK and the 'Burban can be fixed:eek:

10. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Sorry about the accident, not much you can do when a dear runs out at that speed. This time of year is the worst the bucks are chasing the doe's like there's no tomorrow.
    A few years ago I had a nice buck plows in my drivers side door. I'm running 70 or so on 94 west of Detroit all the sudden the drivers door glass blows all over me. All I see is antlers and the dear smashing the rear door and flipping off the quarter panel. That will wake you up in a hurry in the we hours of the morning. Ron

11. Yikes! It's good that your ok, we get the same thing here, but with BIG red kangaroo's.

12. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

Sorry about that. Be glad you don't live up here. A moose would have done more damage and most likely came through the windshield. Make it better.

13. gatz

gatz

14. Brad, that will take about 40 ga. Bondo. Mix it with a portable cement mixer and spread with a 2x4. Just kidding. Glad your ok. I hit a gobbler at 70 mph, not pretty. It tore the hell up in the grill of my co. Truck

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

It's that time of the year again, here in Michigan many people have hit several deer, luckily i have been able to miss them all...so far. That strike would have totaled most modern vehicles, we had a guy show up at work a few years ago with an S-10 that hit a deer on the way to work. The A pillar was bent, the drivers door buckled in, glass all broke out, rear of cab buckled, roof buckled, front clip destroyed, bed side all caved in, totaled truck, he was picking glass out of his hair and clothes all day. At least you will getthe truck the way you want it now. Too bad about all the wasted meat.

16. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

That's terrible but glad you're ok. Shame about the truck I have only seem two of those emblems on feebay over the last three years. I wonder if you could use the old one to cast a new one. At least the meat out is not going to waste and you get to do upgrades.

17. silent rick

silent rick

i live in the city. i get squirrels running out in front of me all the time.

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The amazing thing is how little you are actually going to repair, just replace!! No wonder old tin is getting so damn hard to find, it is all hanging on some ones wall with a dint in it!

Doc.

19. squirrel

squirrel

My condolences. Don't let it take too long to fix....I wasted 7 years getting my 59 pickup back on the road after I wrecked the front end.

20. belair

belair

Stupid deer. My wife has hit too many, I got one 2 years ago. Glad you're ok. Will be on the lookout for that emblem.

21. Wow. I could not think what would have happen if it were a tinny car. You what they "When life gives you a lemon made lemonade" . Good you are ok.

22. Brad,man I hate hearing this but as bad as it is you will bring it back,but it still sucks!

I was on my way to the local Early Ford V8 Club picnic yesterday and I was on a back road in the country that I seldom travel,I was in my Deuce pickup.

Less than a 1/2 mile down the road there was a dead doe and glass on the side of the road,,no skid marks.

No more than a mile on down the road and a half I spot a doe coming out of the woods in front of me,I stabbed the brakes and fortunately slowed down and let it cross.

I know that the deer are in rut so where there is one deer there are more and sure enough there were 2 more,,and then a 4 point buck came running in front of me just as I was starting to pick up speed.

Just be careful out there. HRP

23. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I hit a big dog in my 54 at 100+ mph about 15 years ago. I'm still finding hairy leather bits here and there....

Check out my thread titled "hot rod parts overload/going to the scrapper". I think I've seen that hood and grill in this place. If you can identify it I can get it for you cheap and maybe a HAMB relay could get the stuff to you somehow... Just thinking out loud here....

24. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

Then the deer actually did you a favor. Really, sorry for your mishap, but the burb will thank you later

25. I own a late model Suburban. If I had to pick one of my cars to be in an accident, it would be the "bus". They are built like battleships.

26. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

27. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

re: the rare V8 emblem. that looks the same as what some of the bigger Chevy trucks ran up until the mid-1960s but I'm not for sure :confused:.

[​IMG]

God bless and I hate it for ya!

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Please move the deer crossing signs." OMG, mashed...LOL! I'm in tears. Hilarious.

Sorry that your Chevy got hurt, Brad. I hope you can fix it without too much trouble.

Years ago, I hit the biggest fattest doe I've ever seen with my '51 Buick Roadmaster. I caught her in the flank and sent the poor thing about 50ft into the air doing 360s across the road and into the woods. Unbelievably, nearly no damage to the car!

I wish they had put the deer crossing somewhere else...lol.

29. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

There is a swap meet i heard about up at the atlanta drag strip on the 9th of nov.
    maybe you will find one there :)

Josh was by yesterday and told me what had happened, will be on the look out for
    replacement for ya.

30. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

or just make venison stew :D

Glad the OP is OK.