Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my 47 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ed.Boyle, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Ed.Boyle

Ed.Boyle

Hi Guys, FNG here (although I have lurked for a while) just pulled in the driveway with the new 47 Plymouth Special Deluxe project. Here are some shots!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has been a while since I've had a project this big, I want to thank all in the forum for the knowledge I have already gained (disk brake conversions, motor swaps, rear end ideas etc...) and thanks for answering a FNGs questions in advance!

-Ed

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. looks like a nice start keep us posted

3. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great start! Best to you man!

4. 1948plymouth

1948plymouth
    from Minnesota

Cool project. Looks like you'll be busy for a while on this one.

What is the plan?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Ed.Boyle

Ed.Boyle

Thanks guys. Think I got a decent deal on it, the previous owner wanted to tackle it but had too many other cars... Beauties like a 68 ford and a rambler wagon. Oh yeah and a son fresh out of basic training. Very nice folks.

The PLAN is rusty hope disc conversion and stabbing a 70~ish 318/727 that I have "on tap" using all the appropriate Fatman kits (to include the shock relocation tabs and the power steering kit)

The local salvage has Dakota rears for a decent price so I can have 4 wheel disk brakes.

Best I can tell (and please give other sources if I'm wrong) the best place to get sheet metal is theplymouthdoctor?

Drop a few " on the front either by spring or spindle (probably spring)

The rest I'm still thinking on...

Proud to be a part of this site, I think you guys are great for sharing your knowledge of these rides man.

Best,
    -Ed

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. 73RR

73RR

Do you really think power steering is needed? It is not usually on the 'top-10' list for these cars. You can also drop the front by moving the plate supporting the coil spring to the bottom of the a-arm. Some folks have also reported using Aerostar springs for a drop.

7. Ed.Boyle

Ed.Boyle

Hi 73RR,

I'm an old 2-22 IN 11B, just a filthy nasty dirty stinking leg though! Honored to meet ya.

I haven't heard of the aerostar springs or the plate move... I'll search them up and look more into that once she is tore down.

The misses has expressed an interest in driving this one so I'm gonna go ahead and go with the power steering right off the bat. Gotta keep her happy!!!

Thanks for the tips. More pics coming this week when I start the tear down.

Best,
    -Ed

8. 73RR

73RR

Likewise!!

Gary

9. I did the spring plate relocation on my '52 Plymouth, basically the same front suspension. I also did the Aerostar coils, they're part #CC850, they're dirt cheap, and those two mods will net you about a 4-4 1/2" drop with a way better ride. You also will want to upgrade your stock sway bar with one from a Jeep Cherokee. Don't bother with the pre-fab kits for the discs and motor mounts. Everything you need to do on this thing is readily available as a DIY conversion for much cheaper...

Lowering on the cheap:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=685246

Shock relocation, a MUST-DO mod:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215548

Ford Explorer discs:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702258

Cavalier rack & pinion:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140107

And here's the build thread on my Plymouth, showing what I did for my 318 motor mounts, as well as the rear end upgrade:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762258

Best of luck to ya, you have a great start to an awesome ride!

10. Ed.Boyle

Ed.Boyle

Wow! Thanks Don!!!!! What a wealth of information!

11. Ed.Boyle

Ed.Boyle

OK. So after a lot of reading I think I have the suspension pieces worked out thanks to Don-Vee

NOW I have a question about drivetrain.

Has anyone ever considered stabbing a late model 4.7 (Dodge 287 cid) and auto trans into one of these (or any other rod???)? I was offered a deal on a wrecked Durango today that is REALLY HARD TO PASS UP. I have searched the forums and cannot find anything on this topic. Perhaps I'd be the first here?

I have owned one of these in a Durango before and it made plenty of power and never gave me any problems that I didn't cause.

It also seems like a decent idea because the smaller, higher V engine may not require the offset.

AND I get the complete vehicle to harvest from.

Penny for your thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  12. 73RR

73RR

Excellent idea!!
    My wife's '02 Durango just turned 150K and it still hauls ass. For the small cubes it has tons of power.
    The down side is the efi. You could harvest the entire wire loom and leave the unused bits as is. If something is unhooked will the computer think it is just turned off?
    If you want a carb you will lose some hp...is there even a carb manifold available??
    There is a guy over on the www.p15-d24.com doing something similar with a Daimler/Jag inline six into a 39 Ply. He harvested everything from the car that had even remote potential. If you can keep the Durango on site it should be a big help.

13. Ed.Boyle

Ed.Boyle

Hey Ranger,

It seems like the logical choice. That motor has plenty of punch to move the 4000+ lb Durango... I do find a lot of griping about the 4.7 though.... "tone knobs" on the crank and cam nightmares. It's a little daunting for a freshly discharged guy but I think I'll give it a go....

There is also a '04 Durango available with a GEN III 5.7 that has bottom end trouble, I think I'll save something like that for a coupe though!

14. If you can make the electronic doo-dads work, all the rest is measuring, cutting, fabricating, and welding. The work to physically get the engine in the car is the easy part, at least in my way of thinking!
    Worst-case scenario, you could always get some kinda electronics wizard guy to figure out the wiring. I'm sure it could be done.

15. Ed.Boyle

Ed.Boyle

I think with a complete donor car I could tackle it, even if it is more complicated than an aftermarket comp system. I'll try and follow suit with what duke460 did with his 47 business coupe. He stresses patience and "being cool".... but man his pics are scary!

Worth a shot though, and if i bugger it up it'll go to the dealership! lol

16. Ed.Boyle

Ed.Boyle

So when I picked up the car the guy said that the motor "was supposed" to run. At least the guy he bought it from told him that. I believe I'll try and fire it up and see.

Any pointers?

17. 73RR

73RR

I can't offer much on these new-fangled electronics so this will bump to the day crowd.

18. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Getting it started is The Usual: change oil, check cooling hoses, file points, etc. Get new gas of course. Nothing so special - if the motor is in ok shape it might run. Check carb, spark next.

Are you on the p-15/d-24 site? They know all about these cars.

19. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i love the smell of mohair in the morning..best wishes on your more door...

20. 73RR

73RR

File points? Check carb? I thought you were working on the 4.7...:eek:

21. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Back in 06 I had a 3.9 in a 39 Plymouth, my current 48 Plymouth has a 3.9 efi in it, but is on a 2wd Dakota chassis.
    Keep in mind, if you go with the 4.7, you need to use everything from the Durango, including the fuel tank, computer(s), dash, wiring, possibly the rear axle & the anti lock brake system, the matching transmission, and all the sensors and do-dads to keep the computer happy. If your thinking about using the 4.7 from the Duragno, make the plan before you buy a bunch of parts, no sense buying things now that you will have to change out with Durango parts later, do it all the 1st time.
    My 48 is a fun ride.
    Gene

22. n847

n847

Cool car, I'll be interested to see where you go! I'd rather see you avoid the head ache of the Durango...but I bet you can pull it off and it will be a driver! Subscribed!

23. Ed.Boyle

Ed.Boyle

After much consideration... And a windfall opportunity... She is going to get a 318/727. Picked this up today for scrap price!!! Running and driving from an old buddy of mine... its a 91 so it does have the throttle body and ECM stuff but not nearly as bad as a 4.7! Think I'll save that for a Coupe.

Attached Files:

• van.jpg
      van.jpg
      File size:
      196.9 KB
      Views:
  24. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I had an '84 van like that with the big 6 and 4 on the floor. Probably woulda made a good donor for a P-15.