Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torque Specs for rear suspension kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by monkeyodoom, Sep 25, 2013.

1. monkeyodoom

monkeyodoom
    from Arkansas

Anyone here used the Chassis Engineering Complete rear end mounting kit on a 41-48 Ford car?

Here's the link to the kit i bought.
    http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/complete-rear-end-mounting-kit-1941-1948-ford/

The instructions didn't say what the Torque specs are for any of the mounting bolts on the kit. I called the company and was told "Just snug them up". To me that seems a bit vague. Snug to me isn't necessarily going to be the same as snug to them. I'm more worried about tightening the bolts too much than too little.

Has anyone here on H.A.M.B ever used one of these kits? If so what ft/lbs did you tighten your bolts to?

Attached Files:

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

just crank em down... you arent going to hurt them

3. monkeyodoom

monkeyodoom
    from Arkansas

Thanks didn't think to check for the bolts. That's what I'll use. My main concern was to tighten them too much and hit a bump or pothole and the bolts shear off.

4. monkeyodoom

monkeyodoom
    from Arkansas

Alright I have a new torque spec question. Probably a stupid question but i would rather ask and get it right than guess and mess something up.

Would i still follow the torque spec of the bolt for the shackles and front mount bolt that goes through the spring? Or do these bolts have a different torque spec due to the bushings?

Attached Files:

5. monkeyodoom

monkeyodoom
    from Arkansas

6. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

If the bolt heads shear off after you hit a bump, it won't be because you tightened them too much. ;)

You might need to relax a little about the small stuff, or the stress of this project will kill you before it's done.

If you really must have a torque spec for every bolt, using the SAE version posted above will get you there. Small changes in circumstance like sleeves/etc will change the torque spec some, but not enough to worry about in these less than super critical loadings.