Register now to get rid of these ads!

460 swap into my 58 fairlane.. need help fellas!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luvzccr, Mar 15, 2011.

1. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sounds like you havent visited it in a while. Go say hi. re-introduce yourself. wipe the dust off. sit in the drivers seat. go on.

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I agree with treb11, except that when you sit in the seat make Vroom Vroom noises.:D The fact that you still have the '58 and think about it every day is a good sign. It means deep down you haven't given up.
    When you go see the car, start a list of things that need to be done, pick out the easiest task and set aside time for that. Once you've accomplished that, choose something else and go from there. We're still here and we want to see you succeed.
    You're right, you've done so much and gone so far, and thats an accomplishment in itself. Hang in there Jay!

3. greg

greg

Even if you go for a few hours a weekend and get one little thing done, then that is one less thing that needs finished.
    Its not going anywhere, and as time goes on you will have more time and money, so be patient. Your time will come.:)
    Good Luck, and dont give up.

On every project I do I always think, This is not for the faint of heart.:eek:
    But I just keep chugging along.:D

4. luvzccr

luvzccr

I really do like all this feedback and the ideas and suggestions so far. especially the sitting in the drivers seat and making a vroom vroom noise haha.

well, my grandma isn't getting any younger, and I think her memory is starting to go. i hate to think what would happen if she passes too. the house would be sold, and my '58 has no where else to go. my uncles who would inherit the house already said they would sell it and split the money. so my car would have to go bye bye, and it's still on jacks with no tires.

well i still need to put in the drivers side coil spring, i'm raising the front end so the 460 doesn't drag on the pavement when i drive. then the lowering blocks will be taken out from the back. i'd have to get a set of new tires for it, and i wanted the wide whites, but its too much money, so i was thinking of just forking out 300 or so just for a normal set of black wall tires from a local shop.

once that's done it can be off the jackstands.
    then the hard part. getting the disc brakes all together, brake lines, fuel lines, finish the wiring, radiator stuff needs to be done, getting the throttle linkage all together on the carb, (sounds easy but there was a problem with that last time i was over there if i recall)

so a lot of little stuff but it's tedious. and i dont know how to do the brake lines. THAT, i would want either a professional to help me out with, or i'd have to take it to a shop.. (i know, that's a no no to say on here, but unless one of you local guys wants to help me out with that, and i pay you in beer lol)

5. luvzccr

luvzccr

see, talking about this right now has me all excited. has me motivated. but i have college until May, that's when the semester is DONE, and i have to only worry about work.

May 1st will be the 8th year of me owning this car. 8 years. started with the 223, got rid of it (worst choice i ever made), put a 292 in it, (took months), that motor blew out in 8 months after the swap, then it sat at my sisters for over a year, then my grandpa passed, that's when i got the 460 and decided it's time to bring it back to life.

now i feel guilty, knowing he's probably watching over me saying "come on jason you can do it" but i just can't right now... eats away at me

6. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

Start going to carshows, talking to some people about your car. Try to make some friends that are into cars. I'd come help if I wasn't in Texas. There are lots of guys that are VERY enthusiatic about cars that would be willing to help someone like yourself. There's nothing wrong with paying someone to do it either. Call around to some shops and tell them whats going on and get some prices. If you don't know of any shops, start going to local swapmeets and carshow and ask someone, or ask someone on here. Its just one major thing keeping you down, once you knock it out your motivation is going to skyrocket.

A decent shop could get those springs in there in less than an hour, put the old springs back in, take off the headers, borrow someones trailer and roll it on up.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  7. There's another thread staying near the top right now about hopping up the 460 and it made me wonder how it was going with you. Glad to see you back on here. Anytime I need some inspiration I take a look through LowKat's rattle can rebuild thread. It's one of my favorites here on the HAMB; not just for the build but also documents the turns his life took during the same time.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=599025&highlight=rattle+can&showall=1
    Sounds like May is the time to start turning the wrenches and before then collect parts and do small jobs to get the 58 back into road shape.
    Don't be too hard on yourself over this. You've got your priorities straight in getting an education, paying the bills, and taking care of yourself. Better to find out the girl is not the right one before a walk down the aisle. I bet your grandpop would understand and probably be pretty proud with where you're at right now.
    If you want it bad enough the car will get done.

8. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Let me know if you need help and advice. Just did the same swap in my 57! If i was in cali id come swing a wrench but ill do my best from this coast!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

Like its been said small stuff first maybe the tires so if something happens you can move it good luck!

10. I cannot believe that in all of California there is not one hotrodder who will help this guy out. You guys are starting to be just like a bunch of ricers. Me, me, me, blah, blah, blah, blah, me, me, me, me. No wonder the younger guys think we're all a bunch of pricks. Dude, if I wasn't trapped in Mississippi, I'd be there helping you out. I hope someone helps you out soon. Sorry to hear that the birthplace of hotrodding isn't into helping out newcomers any more...Go back to your lawnchair and grab another beer, old timers, it's in the cooler beside your whiney brat doll. <rant off>>

11. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

How's the car coming? Did you get it back rolling? Fire it up?