Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A Fordor Project "buried in the sand"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim McBride, Oct 19, 2013.

1. I am going to keep this first Post updated as the Build progresses.

Right now were we are at:
    Acquired the Biggs 60C Fordor Body with most of the metal
    Acquired a Last Refuge Frame

Plans:
    Body wood and wooden subframe will be replicated in steel
    Frame is already setup for a SBC, probably going to keep it for simplicities sake.
    Wife is picking the color, she is thinking Dark blue or a darkred orange
    Waiting on getting a Dodge rear axle that is already setup with disk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  2. Just got myself this Model A Fordor body from a field of cars that were half buried in a sand blowout up here in the sandhills. The same field has a 30-31 tudor Sedan, coupe, 28-29 roadster(It's pretty buried, just our guess so far) and a few others. The owner's grandfather had previously had most of the cars crushed about 20 years ago, these ones are the stuff too buried for them to bother with. You can clearly see in the photos the line at which the sand was up to.

Right now I've just got the body, and doors and few assorted parts. Plan to pick up a set of frame rails, some fenders, hood radiator shell, etc from the pile that is being dug out.
    Little unsure how to tell whether it is a 170 or 60-C or if I am completely off on my thoughts.
    Still trying to plan out exactly how I want to build it, traditional for sure, but nothing crazy, no 'ratrod' for sure.
    Confident that I am in for some fun with sheet metal work, but seen some of the amazing things others have done here to know I don't have it too bad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice find! That is a Briggs 60C Steelback Fordor, I've got one I've pieced together from about 6 different bodies. Bob

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

5. there is a roadster, coupe, and a tudor in that sand box? and you grabbed the 4 door? :D;)

6. The one I could afford with winter coming. A friend owns the land and the cars. I got this for $400 along with the right to pick through the piles for the frame rails and parts such as the hood. He wanted $1500ea for the others. If I could have afforded it I would have took all of them.

That and to be honest, I've always loved 4 door cars, and now with 3 kids it's nice to consider the idea of taking them with me on a ride.

7. Big decision around the house right now is powerplant. We can't decide between going with a V8(I've got a flathead from my Shoebox) or investing the money into getting a banger for it.

8. Can't hate on that. more doors make involving the kids easy.

I would go with the v8. I hear bangers are pretty lacking in such a large car.

What do the coupe and roadster look like?

9. The whole top and back of the coupe is crumbled. The roadster we are unsure how bad or good it is. it is still partial buried and in a patch of brush. It may wait till spring.

10. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Only in this world could you let sand bury a car body, let it rust and 50 years later ask $1500 for it........

Good luck on your build.

11. Growing money in the sand basically. If you look at the tudor pictures I posted the cars are rusted but not horrible, the sand mostly drains away any major water.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

These bodies were wood frames with the panels nailed to them. That bracket you have the 1x1 tacked to is missing about 4-6 inches. can juve you the dimentions and photos from mine when you get to the wood planning stage. Bob [​IMG]

13. Look what our hobby has come to.
    Who'da thunk 30 years ago that we would be digging bodies out of the ground and replacing half of them because of rust and making cars out of them again? Back then I gave away and junked better stuff but now I would never think about doing that cause they are "restorable".

14. I've been gone all week and been thinking about the car and getting parts.(This entire winter I am only home on the weekends)
    The cost of the wood on a fordor like this is pretty hefty.
    The first thing I want to do is get the body in a more together state, and start on the frame.
    I am wondering if anyone has tried to modify a set of tudor full subrails to work with a fordor or if at that point I should just roll my own subrails?

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Unless you're hung up on going original, I'd ditch the wood and use steel instead where I could.

16. This is my thought also. the big question is, will it be simpler to modify the tudor subrail to work? or enough hassle that I should build my own. I want the lines of the car to be right, willing to spend money when/if it makes sense.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Go over to the Ford Barn and search around for 60C body info. There is a link to a shop that rewooded one, if nothing else it will give you an idea what things look like. Wood or steel it is not going to be an easy job with your project or mine. Bob :)

18. Thanks, I'd forgotten about the other forums associated with the HAMB. I've found the one were they did a 170, a lot of wood work involved.

I am leaning very heavily towards just going all steel at this point.

19. Moving along, looks like I'll be picking up a complete aftermarket frame from another HAMB member at a good price this coming month. Also got a lead on a guy near my home that has 'lots' of rear axle set ups at his place he wants rid of. Hopefully I can find something.

20. Finding A bodies buried in the sand is just like panning for gold and discovering big nuggets. When I was younger, I thought only coupes and roadsters were cool. Now more doors, the better. More room, better access, more space to pile friends and family.

21. Picked up a Frame this week from a fellow HAMBer; I'll let him out himself if he so chooses to.

[​IMG]

It was made by Last Refuge Hot Rod; I've read all the delivery horror stories but getting it second hand I didn't have those issues. Has some light surface rust from storage, not a problem at all. The seller also included some wishbones for the front and rear.

[​IMG]

22. I also got the body separated and started on some rust removal.

Rear end is coming, it's out of a newer GMC 60", 3.42:1 gears and rear disk.

Working away from home during the week this winter so It's mostly parts gathering right now.