Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear Axle Center Line 48 chevy car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Bald One, Oct 24, 2013.

1. The Bald One

The Bald One

Hey guys,

I need help, I purchased a 1948 chevy coupe project and i need to know the measurement of what the rear axle center line should be. The car has the body off the frame and no suspension on it either. I was hoping not to put the body back on just to measure this. I am putting a 56 axle under it and building a 4-link any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. aaggie

aaggie

I don't know how you have the frame but let's say it is sitting on jack stands and close to level. Drop a plumb bob from the center of the front spindle and measure back the length of the wheelbase on both sides, mark the floor and that will be your rear axle centerline. Be aware that the old Chevys with torque tube rears have a unique spring perch that fits on the tie bolt of the rear spring. It allows the rear to rotate slightly and if you change to a later open drive rear you need to drill a new hole about 1 1/2" toward the front so the new rear will move back to the correct wheelbase.

If you have a bare frame then you will need a chassis book that gives the frame dimensions from reference holes.

3. The Bald One

The Bald One

Thanks for the reply, yea it's a bare frame. The previous owner took all suspension pieces off. And was going to place a 54 front end on it but is not going to fit without cutting to the frame. Not sure what I'll run yet. So I'm starting with what I have so far.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. The Bald One

The Bald One

Anyone else have any measurements/ideas?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In theory, this can be done with measurements...........but, were it mine, I would mate the body and chassis and hang the fenders to get the wheels properly positioned in the well openings.

Just last weekend I attended a rod run, 798 cars showed up. I sat near the exit to watch them go by when the meet ended. I couldn't help but notice how many had wheels either too far back or too far forward in the wheel opening. I didn't count them, but I'd estimate at least 20%, one in five, had noticeable misalignment.

And, an inch is a lot on a vehicle with 'tight' wheel openings such as your Chevy, especially the rear.

6. henry29

henry29

None of the GM cars and trucks from the forties ever had the rear wheels centered

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, but my point is, they can be, when building a hot rod.......and IMO...they should be.

Many of the cars I observed where GM models, but lots of Fords and Mopars and a smattering of other makes. All pre-48, some back into the late twenties. All were modified so somebody chose where to put the axle centerline. Often, they appear to have chosen incorrectly.