Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1st build - '30 sedan/'32 chassis - UPDATE 11/12/13 PROJECT COMPLETE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskoolrodder, Jan 23, 2013.

1. long weekend... after I got everything back together and back on the ground I pushed on the body and had a lot of side to side movement. So, back under I went and as I was pushing the body from under neath I found a big problem. I think this and the shock angle being off was more than the shock could handle. All four rubber bushings in my rear pan hard bar had got brittle and basically disintigrated. Thanks to baker53 we put some newer ones in. I ordered some poly bushing so hopefully this will eliminate this problem in the future.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  2. daddio211

daddio211

3. this was a Speedway pan hard kit. It was included in the package deal when I bought the car so no idea on age. I ordered the poly kit bushings and sleeves from Summit Racing.

4. update... I started putting my side windows in last night then I can finish up the interior panels. I finally took some pics of the outside of the car so here ya go...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

to eliminate my death wobble I had to change the old bias plys in the front. They sat so long during the build I couldn't get them to roll out without hopping. I also added SoCal's steering stabilizer while I was at it.
    [​IMG]

5. started working on the interior. I got all my glass installed last week so time to finish this project up!
    Since I made the accent strips in the floor I had to think about how I wanted to carpet the floor and not cover it up. So, I cut the carpet then sewed the edging on. I screwed the carpet down since my access boards need easy access since I am still working all the bugs out. Plus I might go back and glue some jute to the backside of the carpet at a later date.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took a break Saturday and drove a 300 mile round trip, break in drive, to watch and support some friends at the Day of the Drags.
    [​IMG]

I also bought the steel rods I am going to use for the suspended headliner. As soon as I have more pics I will post them.

6. baker53

baker53

Excellent work Mark. Not many guys out there that have built the entire car themselves. You deserve all the accolades that will be forthcoming.

7. thank you very much Bill... much appreciated my friend

8. Wow!!!! Super nice looking sedan.

9. Thank you very much

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. I set out on this build to see if I could do every aspect of it myself from fabrication to upholstery. Man o man... what was I thinking??
    I have been bounching back and forth between blocking and buffing and upholstery. I am attempting my first suspended headliner. I decided to add a bow every place I actually have a wood bow. This worked out to a total of 8 panels. I need to finish screwing my tack strips up tonight and make my bows then hopefully this weekend I can attempt installing the headliner. I am truly dreading this. Hopefully it will work out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

blocked and buffed my drivers door, one more panel done...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stay tuned...

11. baker53

baker53

Have fun with that headliner Mark. I knew a upholstery guy many years ago that told me he did 4 to five headliners a day at $15 each. He was still doing upholstery work into his 80's.

12. Ditto to what Bill said. nice car and think of all the money you saved, memories you have created and fun down the road.

Nice

13. NFP... guess he should of charged more... funny.

14. thanks yeah... I truly gained a wide range of knowledge during this experience that is for sure. Ready for the road trips to begin!! last weekends trip to Day of The Drags was great! Will be swapping the third member asap. I need to have it looked at to see why it is whining so loud.

15. 31Apickup

31Apickup

You may want to consider adding some bump stops to the rear axle, where it will bottom out on the stops before the coil overs do. That is usually why coil overs or their mounts fail even if they are installed correctly.

The car does look good!

16. norms30a

norms30a

Beautiful car, love the color, does it have a name? Could the noise in the rear have something to do with all the welding on the bottom of the housing? Could the housing
    be warped?

17. Thanks Norm, I wanted to paint it VW Bordeaux red but finding a paint code turned out to be impossible. I printed out a photo and just went through the paint chips until I found something close. No name really.
    Unfortunately, the rearend was making this noise before all the repair work.

18. here is my finished headliner. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. not perfect but, for a first attempt, I can't really complain... I should have the rest of the interior finished by the end of the weekend. I was sitting around thinking about what I could use for tack stripes and I decided to use wooden yard sticks that I ripped in half. At .67 cent each it made perfect sense. After ripping them in half I drilled pilot holes so not to split the wood. They worked great. More pics to come as soon as I finish the interior.
    [​IMG]

19. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Looks good to me....

20. Thanks man, more pics to come soon.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. daddio211

daddio211

I think you need to ask Ryan to change your username to MIDAS MAN. Everything you touch, even your first attempts, turn to gold!

22. b-rod10

b-rod10

23. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Waiting for the more pictures to come...:)

24. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Super job on the headliner...

25. midas man.. funny... more like minus man

thanks guys...

okay.. got sidelined waiting on some new hidden clips and with the help of Vrod64 we swapped out my third member. Changed the 3.70 posi with a 3.00 posi. A lot better at highway speeds now.
    [​IMG]

at the high RPM's the oil was splashing up and filling the foam filter in the breathers and dripping on my headers, firewall, frame, etc. So I found some valve covers with hi rise breathers here on the HAMB. Make sure you ask people exactly what they have before buying. Got screwed on these things. Not only were they painted, they had holes that were filled with JB Weld and the breathers looked as though they doubled up as hammers at some point. No idea how they got so banged up. I need have them blasted and weld up the holes.
    before...
    [​IMG]
    after...
    [​IMG]

I did start sewing up my side panels, all cardboard panels have been made.
    (my helper had a hard day)
    [​IMG]

Also, took last Saturday off from working on the car to go to a cool local show and had a great time. Completely shocked I took home the Best HotRod and Korsair's car club pick.
    [​IMG]

26. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

27. thank you very much! Hopefully end of next week car will be finished and I will clean it up and take pics of interior. We locals (Texas) have the Hotrod Revolution to get ready for so I am running out of time on finishing the interior.

28. Well, like most of us in this hobby, I had the great idea a few years ago to see if I could tackle a built from fabrication to paint to pinstriping to interior all by myself. Basically see if I could do all of it myself. I gave in and had somebody paint it before everything in my garage was lost to bondo dust, although I have had to repaint damn near half of it so I am going to steal some credit for paint for myself as well. Not to mention I blocked and buffed it. I had to ask my friends for help getting it running and help with my wiring but, outside of those things I did what I set out to do. I have to say at times I wanted to burn it to the ground but after everything is said and done, I have gained such a knowledge of automobiles from fabrication to mechanical. Absolutely the best experience ever. It has really taken my love of these old cars to a new level.

It has been a long time coming... Finally completed my interior and pretty much got the dash and interior all blocked and buffed out. I ran the numbers yesterday and it took me just over 2 1/2 years plugging along to get this project completed. To all... Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement along the way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The End...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

time for a beer with the fellas!
    [​IMG]

quickrack-alan and Tim like this.
  29. baker53

baker53

Thanks for the ride through your build process Mark. Very few "pro" shops can match what you have accomplished.

30. thank you Bill and thanks for all the help and support.