Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 oldsmobile restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobalt333, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ps i didnt use any 3m stripping pads..the wire wheel on a angle grinder did it all perfect..i have to say its one of the best most versitile tools..i can wire wheel...put a cutoff blade on and cut...and of course grind too...the spot sand blaster was nice too..just slow..but it only cost about 18 bucks on ebay..but it took everything down to bare clean metal..just save it for the really hard to reach areas

2. 73super

73super

She be lookin' good Hollywood!

3. el_bole

el_bole

Cobalt333 your Olds is looking great!...Yup going under the ride and getting up every few minutes has been my experience too for the last couple weeks...it sucks. Definetly learning that I need to lose weight LOL......

4. Great job, I've been seeing cheaper alternatives to POR 15 on here lately...I need something for my floors. I already glued down the front rug, my main concern is the rear floors and my trunk...it's actually getting welded right now. As well as my door sills area.

5. 56pontiacpiano...i have new welds i did on my floor boards and when i put this stuff on it just coated and sealed any possible pinholes that might be there..plus i could build up the layers to whatever thickness i wanted...i would like to see water penetrate that crap..its like my car has a skin tight wetsuit on..like i said i plan on using it on the inside floors to..then my metal will be sandwiched

6. el_bole i hear ya...plus there is only one way for the crap were scrubbing to fall...and that is in our faces....plus no one ever gets to really see our progress..exxxept for this site...the rest of the neighborhood just goes..yep that car looks the same..plus you cant sitback in a chair with a drink a admire what youve done :(

7. 1st coat of SPI epoxy....i love the stuff....course this is my first time EVER...trust me i would like to say i sprayed it flawless but....good thing im still blocking ect...;) hose touched 1 time me 1 time plastic wrap 2 times:D doh....i will be better next time...

Attached Files:

8. Looks great! You should come by and paint mine too ;)

9. trust me ya dont want me too....like a barber for the first time...ya might end up with a bowl cut...i did learn quite a few things though..but man does that stuff have a cool sheen to it....semi gloss...thats what i want the final look to be..now on to leveling things out to be perfect..you can see tiny imperfection with this stuff..oddly enough there isnt alot

10. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

nice work! a 56 olds is on my bucket list. looking forward to seeing more

11. thanks..im now block sanding and leaveling out the smallest imperfections in the body...and thinking ahead and trying to figure out what engine trans setup im going to do in a year from now...let just say there is alot of thinking while building them..not like a huge amount of info...so when you get ready i should know about 50% hahaha yep..

12. inside tub and doors getting some primer and paint...finally...

Attached Files:

13. working on the dash and trim today...i get soooo impatient and want to rip the tape off so i can see everything...but i must wait....i still have to sand the dash with super fine grit sand paper and shoot another coat and a clear coat..THEN...i can unwrap the chrome parts of the dash...:D

Attached Files:

14. 2racer

2racer

15. 4444Design

4444Design

nice Job so far

always like to follow the transform from old 'n worn to like new

Keep the updates comin'

16. and i forgot..i took the autotronic eye down to bare metal..i think i like it that way..i think i will just clear coat it..to add a bit more of silver to the dash area and highlite it

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  17. It's looking like it's coming along amazingly. Thank you for sharing. I've just stared on my '55 88 holiday 4dr

18. 4tford

4tford

Nice work on your car. Patience pays off looking good. A 394 with the J2 setup would be killer for the engine.

19. post some pictures of your 55 stollenmonkey..would love to see what your starting with..

20. Clik

Clik

Turned the lug nuts the wrong way huh? I converted mine to all right hand thread.

Are those after market sway bars?

I just bought a set from Addco through Jegs. They are bigger diameter than the undersized stock ones, at least what was on my 56 88.

21. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

22. U-235

U-235

[​IMG]

Will you have to offset the driveline any.....?

23. U-235 from the look of the pic...YES..straight down into the pavement...actually THAT was the way the old lady set the 455 her late husband had found..on a 2x4..when i get to it am going to have it rebuilt and have all the motor and trans mounts put in and shorten the drive line...:I

24. CLIK...WHY YES....that was a fun one to figure out...after twisting off the tops of two of them mag lugs..so everyone knows there are right hand lug nuts and left hand lug nuts...which if you dont know will drive you nuts...i was propane torching them taping them with a hammer WD40ing them..thinking DAMN these lugs are froze from sitting in a field for 30 years...NOPE... oh and the sway bar is original just the links are new

25. fishnuts.

fishnuts.
    from wisconsin

don't feel bad, i did the same thing with my 54... broke my favorite ratchet in the process. finally after two days of tuggin on them i asked a buddy at work. that night i went home and they damn near fell out once i turned em to the left. felt like a complete ass.

26. Clik

Clik

If you can afford an aluminum manifold you will lose enough weight to make up for the young hard bellies that are sure to jump in the back of your More-door. I think the 455 maniflod weighs 150 lbs! Could be an exageration but not far off.

27. that paint n trim is going to set it off nicely ...

its coming along .... =)

28. FINALLY...got to untape the dash and repaint the black stripes and shine the chrome and stainless trim:D oh and put the glove box door back on...heres some befores and afters

Attached Files:

29. Clik

Clik