Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Found my hot rod project finally

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willbierfarms, Oct 25, 2013.

1. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

New guy here I'm from nemo been around hot rods my while life. I've slowly been collecting parts and pieces to build a traditional fenderless hot rod as I grew up in one. I found this up the road somebody had a lot of ideas that's for sure its a 32 pickup with a 37 ford car front end scabbed on it with half of a rain barrel for a hood. Cab and frame are solid as a rock and it has all the glass. It will be chevey two banger powered with a five speed tranny quick change and dropped I beam gonna try to have it going for Bonneville next summer
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Just me IMHO, I like 32's and I like 37's but mixed together definitely not my cup of tea, coffee or anything else...

I suppose it would be called a hot rod custom when done.

All the same, it is your project so do it well and keep us posted.

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

people in Arkansas cobble together some pretty weird cars too. I'm sure you can separate the components into usable, sellable and scrap metal

4. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

Oh don't worry that front end is heading to the swap meet. I'm going the fenderless hoodless route. Its more scary in person trust me.....

5. Welcome .... :D

Cool .... :cool:

[​IMG]

Jim

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

Usually, the alleged 32 cabs turn out to be 34s. Show the back of the cab

7. Looks like a decent 1932 bumper up front. Wonder if it was an old parade car for towing a trainload of little kids.

8. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Liking the custom grill, you have to keep that at least, right? Great find though!

9. F&J

F&J

Could make a nice affordable old time hot rod if the cab is good like you say. The chevy 4 cyl should be a very fuel-thrifty rod to drive as many miles as you want.

welcome to the hamb

10. slowmotion

slowmotion

Sell those fenders, some one will want them. Sell the grill to a furnace contactor. Pick yourself up a '32 grill shell, go fenderless, and your on your way! :D

Cool find!

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i love it!cut off the front end, get grill shell and radiator, that will be a bad little truck,

12. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

On 32 rails? For Bonneville ~ this will be a barn burner fer shur. Deal me in...

13. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

Unchopped on 32 rails short bed on steels and maybe channeled is my plan

14. Glad to hear the truck will be saved and the front suspension will be history,looking forward to the build. HRP

15. Looks like an easy project, just cutting it apart will be a major improvement! LOL

16. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

Gonna go pick it up Sunday and get it in the shop hopefully I can get rolling on it pdq

17. Man, somebody sure did like ugly didn't they? Glad to hear that you have artistic taste and will salvage this thing.

18. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

Attached Files:

19. Wowcars

Wowcars

Looks '32 to me.

20. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

LOL What do you know, a 32 truck that is really a 32 and not a 33-34.

21. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Could still be a 33, what's the firewall look like? Although, with that bumper, it's probably a 32. Nice find!

22. ChefMike

ChefMike

this will be a bad ass ride when your done ! good luck

23. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

Also got what's left of a 34 ford three window in the deal too. Not much left of it but the frame is good. As soon as I get it.home its gonna get de uglyfied and I have to decide if I am gonna use the stock frame or build one

24. Congratulations looks like a nice start.

25. Educate me here please guys..... Is it the body swage around the middle of the cab that tells you whether it is a '32 or the more common '33/34 cab ? I have always wanted to know the secret in knowing for certain. Yeah, I know, some will sling the shit because i should of known but hey, I was raised to ask, if you don't know something, ask , otherwise you will never learn. Thanks for all sensible answers. A very solid looking cab to start with though and it appears to have both doors which I believe is a rarity to find.

26. F&J

F&J

Best way is to look at the firewall. The 32 is bolted into the cowl and is sort of flat up top. The 33/34 is welded and is bulged out away from the cowl.

Next is the dash gauge panel; 32 has the oval panel that is removable with an oval stainless trim outline. 33/34, the oval shape is stamped into the dash board and not removable

27. The only way to learn is to ask questions.

The back of the cabs of a 32 and 33 share the same double belt line..

[​IMG]

The 34 has a additional much larger belt line above the other two...

[​IMG]

Looking at the fire walls a 32 is entirely different from the 33/34..

The 32 firewall is a separate stand alone piece..

[​IMG]

and when installed it sets back into the cab...

[​IMG]

The 33 and 34 has the fire wall welded in place,,it also gives the occupants a couple of extra inches of leg room as it protrudes out from the cab. HRP

[​IMG]

28. Thank you so much guys for the explanation on the differences and for the pictures that help to explain what you are saying, thank you all. My Step father was an engineer and always told me as a little kid, never be afraid to ask a question as it is the only way to learn and the other one he would quote was, the day you die, is the day you stop learning. Oh the other one was , the question not asked is the silliest question due to not having an answer. Probably why he was in charge of teaching the young apprentices at both the Steel Mill and then the Aluminum Smelter her in NZ a few years ago.