Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yep! Less weight, and less wind resistance! ;)

2. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Don

Chapman's cars were on the shaky side as some of his parts were made out of ' O too thin ' material's

Went fast and looked great but risky to drive for the pilot

Those black & gold cars were beautiful when Mario was driving for him

That was the hey day of F1 , now they could not look worse

But they sound great but for just a bit longer as next year they will turbo's again and loose that great sound, don't those guys know that we love those great engine sounds

Turbo V6 how stupid is that!!!!!!!

G Don

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  3. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

The F1 troops put on a hell of a show at Long Beach for a few years, used to go out to Willow Springs the Wed before and watch them test

That's when the cars had the skirts and they would flat foot turn 9 coming down off the hill

Man that was great as you could walk right up to the cars, listen to the drivers talk to the team guys then go 10 - 10th's out on the track ' Priceless '

4. Just make sure those seat belt strap window regulators will clear the roll bar, in my case it was a no go.

[​IMG]

5. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

who cares ---way off topic and gay to boot...

6. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

No shit! I thought I clicked on a gasser thread and must have hit the wrong link.

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

The F1 stuff was in reference to how the levels of technology and competition took off in the Gas classes,much the way that F1 has grown exponentially.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

And a good example of how fast things get off subject on the site! ;)

9. rfraze

rfraze

Maybe some examples of Can't Haves. Many HAMBrs have BROAD automotive interests. Some have VERY NARROW perspective. Of course, threads need to stay on topic and we need reminders of that.
    Is there an unlimited hot rod forum somewhere or would that be GAY?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, there are a few, but they have the opposite problem. They are unlimited, so they are diluted by muscle cars, modern high performance cars, and other things that most people on the HAMB find undesirable.

11. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Its all Motorsports people and sometimes you can learn by looking at what the other guys are doing, when you take the blinders off

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

Hey Don:
    What was your rear axle and rear suspension setup?I know you've been over this with me before,but I'm running on a very small amount of sleep right now,and I'd like your advice on something.
    I'm looking at a few different rear ends for my coupe right now:Olds 31 spline,Winters Q/C,and a Ford 9" with the early style housing.
    I can build any one of them for about the same price (probably a bit cheaper for the Ford,because I have some of the parts already).
    I just don't have much experience with Q/C units,or the big Olds rear.
    As far as durability,I think any one of them can be built to handle the 700-800 hp the coupe's supercharged Hemi will be belting out,but I am leaning toward the Q/C or the Olds for their more period-correctness I guess...
    In your experience,is the playing field pretty level between the Q/C and the Olds as far as durability....?
    I'm leaning slightly toward the Olds just because the yoke will match op to my Hydro's output yoke,simplifying u-joint inventory around the garage.
    (And I know,it would be more fun as a stick car,and it may end up as one in the future,but I already have 2 stick cars,and the B&M HydroStick seemed like a pretty cool piece to have).
    Anybody else with experience in this area please feel free to jump in with some input as well.
    Thanks,

Scott

13. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scott. Here is some Olds/Pontiac rear end info I have found on here. I have been going back and forth on either one of these or a 9 inch for my 57 Corvette.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129676

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128884&page=2

14. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Scott

Boy you are testing my grey matter now as that was 50 yrs ago, I used a Pontiac with the then new [ 63' ] ' clutch pack posi ' that worked great

Had 5.38's and set up by the factory as I recall, since I bought the 3rd member from the dealer

No one that I know of used a Q/C in a gasser, just one more thing to break since they were not really made for the drop the clutch starts with 700 lbs of weight in the trunk above it

I broke quite a few stock axles till I saved up my coin's and bought a pair of Henrys Super Tough ones , and had no problem after that

Just to see what they were doing I painted 1/8" black line down each axle and they took about an 1/8" twist and did not twist any farther

G Don

15. blacksheep55

blacksheep55
    from jasper ga

Must have a 4 gear for sure and straight axle of course. Solid lifter cam. Mine is a bitch to drive on the street and that just feels right. Nothing like cranking the shit out of the wheel and yanking on a Vertigate when pulling into the cruise night stankin it all up like race gas....

16. Don & Powershifter, believe it or not, Fred Teixierra's Willys had a quick change rearend that survived very well. It ultimately ran in the upper 9 sec. range in B/G and held the record numerous times until he retired the body and mounted a corvette body on it. There is an entire build thread/restoration of the car on the HAMB. Just search Freds name and you'll find it. The car is now owned by HAMBER "Rustler" and the resto was done by " RoyalShifter". If you haven't seen it, it is a feast for your eyes of proper Gasserness for sure. If you've been on the Drag cars in motion thread, the lead photo is of this car in one of its earlier iterations.

17. Muttley

Muttley

Yes, and yes.

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks Don and Ric,
    You guys always come through with the goods.
    I was kind of sitting the fence on the
    Q/C,because although I agree it was not really a standard item in Gas class cars,it was a predominant feature of some of the cars that provided inspiration for the buildup and styling of my coupe,like the Tony Nancy 22Jr A roadster.
    I realize it wasn't a Gasser,but without fenders,my A wont be one either,and with a moderately high stance in the rear,and not much sheet metal to block the view,that housing becomes a major visual item.
    I am still kind of stuck on the look of this setup though: ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382783118.435466.jpg
    Olds/Pontiac housing,leaf spring wheelie bars,and that badass looking push bar.....thinking maybe a Q/C added into that mix would just be overkill and make the car look a little too...."Hollywood"...like its trying to hard to be one of the cool kids,you know..?:)

Scott

19. powrshftr

powrshftr

Also,
    Muttley,you crack me up Brother!How ya holdin' up?Shoot me a PM when you get a few minutes.I have a cool A/FX story for you!:)

Scott

20. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Hi; I have a Frankland quickchange in my Big block 4 speed Model A pickup,It has been abused for 12 years now, After I got rid of the JUNK Dutchman axles and put 35 spline Mark Williams in , It has giving me no problems. VERY tough unit, 10 1/2 ring gear, Chris

21. PS. Teixierra ran that Willys into the "Goodyear Blue Streak" wrinkle wall slick era with a clutchflight & Injected 426 Hemi, so his quick change, definitely saw some abuse, and he ran it for a bunch of years, so I assume it must have been relatively trouble free.

22. goodturn

goodturn

Scott. I have a Hallibrand Champ QC in my 49 Thames that only has 310 rear wheel HP. I've broken the spiders once, and cracked a side bell once resulting in $1500 in parts to repair. But it does look good!!!
    Sooo, I run a 9" with spool and 4:11's in the 48 Thames.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  23. powrshftr

powrshftr

Yikes.....that's a bit pricey for my feeble bank account.
    I'm kinda leaning toward the big old Olds after that info...

Scott

24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Gene Cromer's A/G willys was built around 1963 and it had a 9 inch ford. Cromer was a ford freak and wouldn't use anything else. You will be period correct with the 9" and a lot less trouble in the long run. But I have to admit the old round back olds rears do look cool.

25. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I really liked the clutch pack posi that Pontiac came out with, cause it did not have those little parts that can break and give you a bad day

The Ford troops all ran those Detriot Lockers that were costly too

One Sunday at the Beach Gas Ronda was testing his new Injected Cammer 4 speed Mustang and the rear end broke, and did he ever go for a ride with a coulpe of endo's right into the bottom row of seats in the stands and being sunday they were empty as he was every lucky

G Don

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

Don,was that the crash in '67 or '68 where he got burned and pulled the pin on driving once and for all...?It too bad that happened.That man has STYLE!:)

Quain:
    I could always run the old style round back 9" housing which looks era-correct,and very similar to the Olds/Pontiac.I've got a line on cheap NASCAR parts for gears,pigs,etc,and already have some parts in stock,so it would be a cheaper way to go.
    Gene's car is absolutely amazing by the way.You really hit that one outta the park,and I can't say enough about what an incredible act of kindness that was.

Between you two guys and a few others on this thread,I have gained more knowledge and inspiration in a year than I had in the last 20 years.
    I actually got inspired enough to track down a '30 A coupe,a Hemi,two stroker cranks from the Freight Train twin engine dragster,a B&M HydroStick,a 6-71 blower......
    Now I just need to find time to finish it up...:S

Scott

27. Mine had an Olds when it was first built - but as tires got better there were numerous breaks - axles and ring & pinion - it got a Dana 60 that has been in there going on 40 years now

28. No, Gas' career ending crash came at Beeline in 1970.

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

Aaaah,ok.His cars were always SO perfect,weren't they?
    I wasn't sure when that was....

Scott

30. powrshftr

powrshftr

The Anglia killed an Olds rear!?!?Wow,I never would have guessed that a light car like that would have been destructive like that...
    Lemme guess:It was during the BBC days...?:)

Scott