Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Plymouth Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voodoowagon, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Thank you guys, James that photochop you did years ago for me helped out a lot.
    Going to be smoothing out the roof next week and getting it in primer

2. n847

n847

Man I dig the way that came out!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Thank you n847, I enjoy feed back good or bad.

4. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

So as I talked about above we dropped off the car Monday at my buddies body shop, we agree on getting the roof and jams all smoothed up and the fire wall smoothed and painted to be ready for a engine. DONE we agreed on a price that we are both happy with and decide remainder of the body work can be done when we have more funds. DONE, well came in last night and Frankie got bored and I couldn't of been happier

[​IMG]

5. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

I couldn't of been happier cause Frankies idea of doing the roof is to sand entire car down ha ha ha, talk about going above and beyond.

[​IMG]

6. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

He also found some previous body work in the rear quarters that was hiding from us

[​IMG]

7. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Frankie is going to do some hammer and dollying on the roof and rear belt molding area so had to call Rick and let him know after he busted his butt to get the glass back in could he come take it out to avoid risking any shattered glass, not a problem he said. There is no way with my work and my skill set could I ever have dreamed this car would be coming together without the help of a handful of great friends and new ones to help push her along.

8. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

The last week Frankie and I have been ticking away and stripping the car down and starting on the body work. At first we were just going to concentrate on the roof and the firewall so we could get it on the road and then Frankie said lets just knock it all out so we can shoot it in primer and have it all be one color, who wouldn't agree. So he has been teaching me how to strip the car down properly and not dig into the metal too much, I am very pleased the trunk was what I started with and while I was working on that he has been working on the roof and c pillars.

[​IMG]

9. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

10. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

The body line at the bottom of the c pillar will need to have the belt molding tweaked just a bit to follow the lines

11. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

MAnaged to get the roof in epoxy last night, going to move onto the doors and rear quarters tonight. Very pleased with our progress.

[​IMG]

12. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

The last few weeks we have been working on stripping the car down to bare metal and digging out all the old and bad body work. I found aftermarket replacement rocker panels but I did now find the rocker panel from the back of the door to the rear fender so we winged it and feel it turned out really nice. My question is does anyone know what gravel shields these came off of? They were listed as 54 Plymouth however look more like 53 with a slight variation. I am debating on running the rear chrome on the car, up for any opinions.

[​IMG]

13. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Great progress, looking good

14. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Thank you yeti, she is a few steps closer

15. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Have you ever been cutting out rust and the hole just keeps getting bigger and BIGger and BIGGER, ughhhhh. Well the next few pictures show what we worked on a few weeks ago. I am a little delayed on my updates but I am really loving seeing this car come together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. CaptainGTX

CaptainGTX
    from Colorado

Car is looking great. 53-54 Dodges & Plymouths are some of my favorites, especially certain body styles.

17. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

We have shaved the wipers, gas tank opening, emblems but not sure if we are going to shave the door handles and how much of the trim. Definetely want the trim on the front fenders and the belt molding but will leave the car in primer for a bit to make some adjustments until we can finalize. While soda blasting the fenders we uncovered a shadow of the old plaza logo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Here is the 318 finally all painted and some of the parts going on it, I love the finned valve covers.

[​IMG]

19. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

That 318 is a thing of beauty. It sure would look nice in my '55 Dodge truck...:D

20. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Thank you Steve, here it is finally bolted in for the last time (well i hope)

[​IMG]

21. 73RR

73RR

Yup, Looking real good!

22. Incredible job on the chop! I'd love to have those lines on my Customline, just have to learn how to cut, shape, and weld metal. Hmmmm, shouldn't take more than a weekend to learn, right?

23. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

your Plymouth is lookin real good!

24. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Thanks guys, hopefully she will be running soon

25. robbybee

robbybee
    from TUSTIN, C

I like what I see there!
    My '54 Plymouth Wagon has a '57 Plymouth 318 and push-button Torqueflite Trans.
    It runs but needs some lovin!
    What did you do about the rear-end gear ratio in your car?

26. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

27. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Not a lot visual has changed over the last few months, we put the new rear end in, ran the new fuel lines and brake lines and we are currently working on getting the wiring all ran. If everything goes as planned we will be getting her started in a few weeks. The exhaust manifolds ended up giving us some issues on the driver side so we are having a set of headers built to go around the steering column and clear the starter. Will get some pictures uploaded soon

28. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Last few weeks a lot has been done but she isn't going to make roundup, just too many details I want to work on. We did manage to finish off the headers, I was going with a stock manifold however the ones I had one of dropped right down into the starter so my buddy Matt made some new ones. We ordered the Hedman headers for the 318 and modified them a little. Will post some pictures shortly

29. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

[​IMG]

Here the new flow of the pipes are done

[​IMG]

Matt working his magic

[​IMG]

Here is the final test fit, now for the painful hand filing the welds down and then off to the ceramic coater to make them chiney

I will get some better pictures of them before I send them off and after they are done. She is getting close to running, I couldn't of gotten this far without some very talented guys helping me.

30. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

I left out several weeks of work but below is Adam setting up the new brake lines from the front to the back, finalizing the core support for the new radiator and Jason cleaning up the header a little

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]