Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Good call on narrowing the '41 bumper. The whole car is kicking ass....keep up the good work.

2. Thanks as always.
    Thanks.
    Thank you.
    Thanks Kenneth. You know I love a phat ass!!!!!
    Yes 3" was the magic number. Well worth a days worth of back tracking.
    So true!
    Thanks Brian. Have you started yours yet?

3. toooo kooool........

Attached Files:

4. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kipp, I just noticed the red marking on the bumperette. That caused me to study the outline of the actual housing which makes a very strong "Art Deco" statement. I forget what said as to where they came from but obviously you saw their beauty when you found them. They are going to make an exquisite finishing detail to the tailend of your car. Good on ya! Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB aka telekenfun.

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Wow. This is excellent. Very nice work.

6. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I've been following this thread for ages,you've climbed a metal work mountain! Love the grill treatment, its gonna be a gorgeous car when its done.

7. hemi v8

hemi v8

Great skills, kudos to you. subscribed.

8. Making great progress there Kipp!
    Love the way that narrowed rear bumper flows with the body.:cool:

Bear:)

9. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

New to the thread but is looking great! going to be starting on my 37 chevy pretty soon, great inspiration for me!

10. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Forget the 36, lets see pics of what you did with that truckload of old busted up bricks! lol...

Looks awesome man. As always, I'm way jealous of your skills.

11. Thanks.
    Thanks KB. I got the idea for the 46 bumper guards with the taillights in them from my favorite car Johny Zarrow's merc.
    Thanks a lot.
    Thanks. It'll be worth the work when she's finished.

12. Thank you.
    Thanks Bear. She's getting closer to paint.
    Thanks. Love 37 chevys. Very nice lines.
    Thanks Brady. Got to have early 1900's brick to go behind the early 1900's cast iron and nickel parlor stove in the garage rite? I'll post pics when finished.

Thanks again everyone.

13. I Finely finished the rear of the right rear fender.

[​IMG]
    The inner lip needed welded off and finished. I removed the fender and welded and finished off the patch then I welded the taillight holes shut. Then I made a patch and repaired the rust under the taillight stand. After finishing off the welds then I reinstalled the fender.

[​IMG]

After finishing the fender I finished the lip on the lower edge of the trunk and smoothed the patch below the trunk.

Now im ready to reattach the trunk lid.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  14. Looking great!

15. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kipp, That fender really looks good. The whole car has really come around, and you should be very proud of your accomplishment. You are on the home stretch now, at least as far as the exterior goes. As you proceed to completion, should you get discouraged, I want you to stop and look at your todays posting #469 and then go back to your Aug 11 13 #273 posting of this very fender to remind yourself of how far you have already brought this car. After doing all that, finishing it should be a snap for you. Best Regards an good luck with all your endeavors, KB aka telekenfun.

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I thought I already had a favorite build thread, but I read yours. Now I feel like I'm cheating! This thing is killer, hat's off to you!

17. Thanks.
    Thanks KB. By summer she should be finished and on the road. (I hope)
    Thanks Brian. The best is yet to come.

18. Started repairing a crack in the fender lip a while back.
    [​IMG]
    But never finished the repair so I straightened and finished off the lip.
    [​IMG]
    Then I started on the taillights. I cut the hole in each guard.
    [​IMG]
    Then I made a backing/ mounting bracket for the guard.
    [​IMG]
    With the back formed it is ready to mount to the guard and then the bumper.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  19. what are you gonna use for the lens?

20. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Wow! What a neat car. Well thought out, well executed, and to read that you do the grunt work is even more enjoyable. Congratulations on getting to where you are, and best of luck into the horizon. Keep up the outstanding work!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. I am hoping to have glass lenses made. A friend knows a guy that makes all kinds of glass art that says he can make them. I hope he can. If not I will use red acrylic like the matranga merc.
    Thanks. Greatly appreciated.

22. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

sweet man! its looking awesome.

23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

24. $500 for 1 tail light... to cut up?!

25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

They are '41 Chrysler tail lights. I posted that one because the picture is good. There are lots of them out there for reasonable prices. I just thought the style fit the car.

26. telekenfun

telekenfun

I think you are on track here Kipp. With some cooperation with a glass blower person, the two of you could probably pour some molten red glass right into the back of your bumperette. You may need a outside tin mold to limit the protrusion from the bumperette though. I have watched glass blowers make plates and bowls and even figurines, it is amazing how well they can manipulate that stuff. It may take a few tries but you could figure out how much material and how to deposit it in there with the glassman's experience. If you were to machine up aluminum stamp of fresnel lens, that could be pressed it into the molten glass as it cools to provide that beam characteristic utilized in taillight lenses. Also a glassman probably has many shades of red to give you a much richer color than plastic would. Of course a sheet of red plexi would work also but not nearly as cool. Best Regards and Good Luck with all your endeavors. KB aka telekenfun.

27. I made tail lights out of 46 Ford bumper guards about 15 years ago. I glued 2 pieces of 1/4'' red plexiglass together , cut to fit the guard and then polished. Then I cut a flat part out of a plastic clear parking light lens and glued it behind the red plexiglass and then glued it into the guard. Worked great. If you would like to see a picture of what I did, email your email address to me and I'll send some. I don't know how to add pictures to this thread. Dave

28. Thanks KB and Conrad.
    I am going to try to do them in glass because I realy like the look and depth of glass but I am not going to hold my breath. I would like to see pick's on how you made yours in plastic Conrad. I may have to make lenses out of plastic if the glass dosent work out the way I hope it does.

29. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

I would think that you could mold the front face of the metal guard in plaster, unmold it, and then carve the plaster to give the shape you want to the lens face.

Once you have the mold the shape you want it, reinstall the guard into the mold and have your glass blowing buddy push a glob of heated glass down into the back of the guard such that it pushes through the hole and takes on both the shape of the hole and the shape of the lens you carved into the plaster.

That'll make you a lens that is both the right shape, and that already has a nice step all the way around the perimeter to locate it properly.

All you'd have to do then is find a way to retain it in place and mount your bulb assembly behind it.

Might actually be less trouble to make them like that with glass than trying to carve two identical ones by hand out of acrylic.