Register now to get rid of these ads!

1941 Plymouth Rear End Swap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by csimonds, Sep 12, 2013.

1. csimonds

csimonds

Hi Everybody,
    Hope this is the correct forum for this question. I just picked up a 41 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4dr that has had a 307 and T350 installed already. It still has the original rear end and cut down driveshaft. I have heard that Dakota, Explorer, and possibly Jeep Cherokee rear end will slip right in, but I havent seen and pics of this. My question is, has anybody here done it and do you have any tricks and or pictures of it being done? I really appreciate your help!
    Chuck

2. 4woody

4woody

http://www.carnut.com/specs/rear.html

That's the chart with a lot of widths. In my '38 Chrysler I used a Ford 8" out of a Granada. It only required new spring pads welded on. I believe it would be the same for your Ply.

3. csimonds

csimonds

76 Granada? Thanx for the info!

4. 1959apache

1959apache

I have a 74 Buick Apollo in the back of mine. It is narrow enough that I can squeeze some pretty wide tires back there with ease. Right now I have some 265/75/r15's in the back with plenty of room to spare. mine is highway geared like 3.08 or something like that.

36DodgeRam has like a late 60's early 70's Trans am rear end or something in his, I think his is a 3.73 posi

5. csimonds

csimonds

Thanx Apache, I was speaking to 36DodgeRam and he tells me that the 2nd Generation Camero/ TA is a direct bolt in and retains the original leaf springs. Now that is the cats Pj's!
    Chuck

6. George

George

The 66-67 C Body mopar is a direct bolt in.

7. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

Mine was a direct bolt in. 1979 TA rear, 3:08 posi, optional disk brakes, and rear sway bar too. Most Camaro rears you find will be 2:41 or 2:73 ratios, not so good for performance. 4 speed cars usually had better ratios, but it is hard to find anything lower than a 3:08. You want the 3 series carrier if you ever wish to lower your gear ratio. I looked pretty hard 15 years ago, just to score the 3:08, there can't be as many in junk yards today.

The optional disk brake setup is rare, look for TA's from 79 to 81. WS6 or something like that. The smaller Camaros starting in '82 have junk rear ends.

For the rear sway bar, it mounts to the lower shock mount plate. I had to install a 1" x 3" steel channel welded frame to frame, against the floor of the trunk, and shortened the uprights to fit. It was clearly the best handling improvement to this car. These old Mopars experience a lot of body roll, mine doesn't anymore. Corners hard and flat!

I'll get you some pictures if interested.

8. csimonds

csimonds

I would love to see a few pictures of that!
    Chuck

9. csimonds

csimonds

I also just read that a 98 Jeep XJ rear will fit, now that would be nice also, and readily available!
    Chuck

10. 1959apache

1959apache

man I was way off lol

11. csimonds

csimonds

Well on the advice of George here, my good friend has a 66 Chrysler New Yorker (C-body) rear end with Posi just sitting that we removed from a parts car. Looks as though it will just fit in there like a slap in the mouth.
    Chuck