Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New (to me) 24 C cab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rok55, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Rok55

Rok55
    from Cheyenne

Hey All, been almost a year since I joined in the fun and made my first post. Been an interesting trip through life since then, but I did manage to get my hands on a project originally built by someone else quite awhile back and now in need of some love. All steel cab, custom frame, Buick V6, TH350 auto, AMC model 30 posi on a four link, I believe a Magnum 4" drop tube with 38 ford spindles and juice brakes. Not sure yet on the steering box, but it is really sloppy and needs rebuilt/replaced. Pretty much everything needed work and I have been doing just that over the last several weeks. It now goes and whoas but the tranny is still a little iffy. Next real project is the brakes which I plan on switching over to discs. I have a set of spindles, calipers and discs from an unknown year Mustang, can any of this be adapted or should I just go with an aftermarket GM setup? Also, the AMC rear a 5 x 5.5 pattern on two piece axles. I would prefer one piece axles and a more commonly available bolt pattern. Does anyone make axles for this thing.

Rod was originally built and registered in Colorado, if anyone has any info on this car or the builder I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks .... Rok55

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool! from the looks of that rear crossmember it was originally a "TT" truck. As far as the rear axles go, check out Dutchman up in the Northwest. I have used tham for other custom projects and really have liked their work and price.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Show us a pic of that steering and give us any numers you find on the housings or cover plate.

4. bgaro

bgaro

what's the plan? there's always a plan........

5. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Nice to see another person from Cheyoming on here! Hope to see that T out and about in town!

6. Rok55

Rok55
    from Cheyenne

Thanks for the word on Dutchman. Yes, I also believe it was a TT. I'll try to get some more info on the steering box but it is well hidden under the floorboards. As far as a plan ......... initially to enjoy as it is, but I do have an SBC 355 and a BBC 454 sitting in the shop as well as an OD trans. Would require some major rework of the frame and I am not ready to take that on right now. Immediate plan id get the suspension squared up and highway safe, right now it's pretty much a crazy go-kart ride unsafe at any speed.

When it is safe, I need to switch gears and get my 56 Golden Hawk out of the field before winter sets in. The Hawk has the original Packard 352 and is fairly complete minus a few (but critical) trim and interior pieces. It came out of a pole barn where it had been hiding since '72. Mostly rust free but definitely needing some body work and lots of love for all the mechanicals. Motor is not locked up but very crunchy when turned by hand, and pretty sure it will need a complete rebuild. 3sp trans was a transplant and I would like to put an original auto back in. Plan for the Stude is to again make her go, whoa and be highway safe, then drive the old girl in all her glory till weather warms up again and I can get some paint work done.

[​IMG]http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s543/rok55/56StudeGoldenHawk_zps005aeb95.jpg

7. Rok55

Rok55
    from Cheyenne

Well after a 2 weeks out sick, thought I'd update and seek some help.

Before I send the C Cab out for suspension alignment, figured I'd take care of the steering wheel position and play in the steering box output shaft. Here's what's there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed and cleaned up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Problem is excess play / run out in the output shaft. I NEED TO IDENTIFY THE BOX so proper parts can be acquired for the rebuild.

I have searched google and others trying to identify ...... no luck.
    Search other forums looking for help ....... nope.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492392

This previous thread asked the same question without really getting a clear answer, so any assistance from the H.A.M.B. brain trust would be greatly appreciated.

Here was the height of the steering wheel;

[​IMG]

After some judicious measuring, cutting, trimming and welding here is what I hope to achieve;

[​IMG]

With this steering wheel;

[​IMG]

Initial changes have been made and I'm ready to complete it but really need to rebuild the box first. Help Help Help

8. Rok55

Rok55
    from Cheyenne

9. 2racer

2racer

10. bgaro

bgaro

11. Rok55

Rok55
    from Cheyenne

Thanks Fellas ............