Register now to get rid of these ads!

Make a 2 dr from a 4 dr - how?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintage44, Oct 23, 2013.

1. vintage44

vintage44
    from NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

I'm trying this again, Ryan. Hope it's in the right place. I thought I'd seen threads in the past that shortened a 4 dr into a 2 dr but I can't seem to put the correct phrase together to get a successful "search". Anybody have knowledge of a thread or maybe done it? thanks.

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You don't say what you are starting with, so there are some really good threads on here, one for a Plymouth and one for a 55-57 chevy. basically it healps to have a completely trashed /rotted 2-dor donor for the doors if possible. if not, everything can be cut and spliced, its just metal. for clarity, none of these conversions "shorten" the car, that would result in the clown car look.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...lopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645383
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753008
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806509
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...lopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=718246

Same principle applies to saving convetibles:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680146

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  3. Why would you go to all the work & $$ to make a 4 dr into a 2 dr. ?? :confused: Yrs. ago most guys, (me included), were in a conv.//hardtop mode. Not even a 2 dr. sedan was exceptable. That was when cars were easy to come by. Today you better be happy that you found any kind of ride and then make the best of it. I've got a '47 Ford mordoor (and a Ford conv. & coupe) & my gal likes all the room in the back seat !? :D She says there is even room to square dance ! We haven't tried that yet. At least room to doe-see-doe. :rolleyes:
    JMO
    Good luck whatever direction you go, make it yours, have fun, and drive the hell out of it. :cool:

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I posted in your other thread but its gone and wonder what happened to it.
    Did it get closed or deleted?
    Lots of new things going on around here these days.

5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

There's a great build thread on the HAMB from a bloke in Australia or New Zealand for a shoebox Ford. I no longer have the link but I saw it as active within the last 6 months. Good luck to you. (And I understand the desire for the mod.)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. raymay

raymay

I am currently doing a 2 dr longroof conversion on a car a year too new for a HAMB thread. So far it is coming along nicely. If you are going to do a conversion there are some things to consider.
    1. Have a design plan. I usually test my ideas by building a model or with pictures and drawings.
    2. Do what you are doing now and see how others accomplished their builds. There are a lot of good ideas out there that could be useful.
    3. Make sure you can get or make the parts you need. In my case I cut up an entire parts car to get some very necessary and hard for me to build parts for my conversion. Other parts got sold to help finance my madness.
    4. Be creative and have fun doing the build.
    Good luck to you and let us know about your progress.

Attached Files:

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

If you check my signature link below , its my 47 Ford 4 door ,to chopped coupe conversion, tons of pics too :D

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I remember an article in a rod and custom mag long time ago that they were doing a 55 or 57 chevy 4 door to 2 door job.

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Check out some of treb11 links he just posted.

12. Cerberus

Cerberus

I did it back in the 70's, to a four door '55 Chevy wagon. Wheel base ended up really short. After six years of driving it, I extended the wheel base by 6" and this improved the handling significantly. Had to make my own quarter panels to do this. If I had to do it over again, I would have used a two door sedans doors (several inches longer) instead of the shorter four door wagon front doors. Drove this "Shorty" for over twelve years.

Attached Files:

13. I have not, nor will ever understand the short car

14. Leviman

Leviman

Take all the doors off, drill our the spot welds on the center post, bolt on 2 door doors, weld the center post back in and fill up the gaps with you rear door's skin.

15. vintage44

vintage44
    from NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

Guys, sorry I did not be more specific. I've got a shell of a '36 Chevy 4 door and with what is there a 'coupe' length body is about all I could hope for. I think I've seen somewhere that the center section of a 4dr was removed and the front half was attached to the back. Thanks for the replies so far, guys, hopefully someone can remember seeing this done before.

16. Cerberus

Cerberus

American motors understood the benefit of making a car shorter. The Javelin was shortened over ten inches, renamed a AMX, rear seat removed, installed bucket seats, and optional four-speed gearbox, optional 343, 360 or390 V8, which made it a genuine sports car which saw some success in competition.

17. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

I just finished a conversion on my 51 chev from a 4 door to a two door sedan about a month ago. Not sure how to post a link on my phone but if you go to my profile you should find a pretty detailed thread about it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Shortening a car 10 inches and shortening it the length of a rear door is a big difference. One is a capable car, as you described and the other is a clown car

19. This will not give you a coupe, it will give you a pickup cab. What will you do with all of the frame that sticks out the back?. All bodies, in a given year and model, are the same length, give or take a little at the ass end. You can't just shorten a sedan to make a coupe anymore than you can stretch a coupe into a station wagon

20. Cerberus

Cerberus

My "Shorty" received the "Dare To Be Different" award at Goodguys, Pleasanton, Ca. A large photo of it was in the GoodGuys Gazette monthly magazine. Also, back in the 70's it was more appreciated than a regular four door wagon. The car got "thumbs up" every where I drove it....from Portland, Oregon to Ensenada. Several car show organizers asked me to bring the "Short" to their show. Several years later there were seven "shorts" running around the SF Bay Area. I have a group photo of the other 55-57 "Shorts" . Each to their own. Goodguys liked it. We had fun and that's what it was all about.

21. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

"Fitzee" did a late 30's car a number of years ago...worked out slick but was a bunch of work.
    What he did is a bit hard to explain but made creating longer doors pretty easy.

He removed all doors...removed both center pillars and then remounted the pillars to the opposite side they were meant for by turning them around.
    He set them back the required distance to have a regular two door opening size.
    Basicly the front of the front doors and the FRONT of the rear doors (opposite sides, remember!) were combined to make the full size doors.

A lot of work...make no mistake...but it was slick and tidy.
    The owner decided to mount the doors to the pillars with the rear door hinges to make them suicide, but thats personal choice as either end of the resulting door has hinge mounting available...you just need to make the decision which end to use.

NO idea if thats possible with the car you have but its worth considering.

22. n2 cars

n2 cars

I did a 55 chevy 4 door sedan 150 into a 2 door belair sedan. I didn't replace quarters but welded back doors shut and trimmed off excess. you can see pics and details at allinclassiccars.com click on the facebook link and you'll see it. I'm actually planning to do my 66 nova soon also. The 55 came out great and nobody can tell unless they pull door panels or take stuff apart to see welds, most people who see it say they cant believe it. It hasn't been painted and upolstered yet but it was a cool project if your looking for a challenge and would like to stop hearing people say "to bad its a four door"

23. raymay

raymay

A 36 Chevy is nice choice and "Wow" do I have a great idea for you. Rod Action Magazine, May 1990 volume19, number5 has an article about a 37 Chevy called "Pygmy Phaeton". It started out as a 4door. They used the 10" shorter front doors and shortened the body the same amount. If you can find any history about this car on line or find the magazine article, it would be worth checking it out for ideas.

Attached Files:

24. vintage44

vintage44
    from NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

Not planning to make a coupe from a 4 dr, just hoping to shorten it to the approx length of one. Body is basically a rusted out old race car (circle track) shell and I'm just looking to salvage it for a 'spare time' project. But I appreciate any and all comments - not taking anything personally.

25. make sense? compare 2 dr and 4 dr models. You will see

Attached Files:

26. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Good illustration lucky! make sure and click on luckys first pic.

27. vintage44

vintage44
    from NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

Lucky, all I can say is - outstanding!:cool:

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

29. Thanks guys, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words ;)

30. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

Theres a sick 1934 cadillac on another forum that is a MUST read if u wanna see some real work.

He posted his first pics and what he was gonna do . I thought this will be a trainwreck and it was just rhe opposite. He has a heneway pickup he built as well. (None existing pickup design). That is something to see