Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1940 Chevy car photo thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim G, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Finally got my latest project home. Looking forward to this weekend to get started! Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

Attached Files:

• 40-2.jpg
      40-2.jpg
      File size:
      494.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Tim G

Tim G

Some really nice 40's on this thread... keep them coming!

3. eppster

eppster

A 40' coupe was my first rod back in 76' . Basket case but we got it all together, 350/350 with a tunnel ram . Only thing I didn't like was we put a Corvair front under it and could never get it to turn real short. Did everything else well.

4. Tim G

Tim G

Got any photos of that car eppster?

5. Tim G

Tim G

Here's mine as it looks at the moment, just about to order my air gear for it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TimG - That thing is going to have a killer stance!

7. Tim G

Tim G

At the height it is at the front on those photos it will roll with no clearance issues but it won't steer far as the tyres hit the wing(fender) edges... so it will go on air. The rear will be pretty damn low too so should lay the frame when parked :)

8. kristoph

kristoph

Good to see some progress on yours Tim.

9. Tim G

Tim G

Not enough progress, i must sell my 50 Shoebox Ford so i can finish the 40...

10. Dyce

Dyce

Looks cool Tim. Funny how hard it is to get it the last few inches closer to the ground!! What suspension and rims are you running on the front?

11. Tim G

Tim G

Hey Dyce! I am using a 54 Chevy front set up but i have channeled it up around the chassis by 2 inches and it is running 2 1/2" drop spindles. at the moment the coils are cut by 2 coils and there's about 1 3/4" travel before the bump stops. This is the way it was in the 54 Bel Air and it drove quite smooth. With air bags it will drop another 1 3/4" so pretty much be on the floor when parked and should drive really nice a couple of inches higher for cruising... i hope that makes sense?

The biggest problem at the moment at the front is the steering, i need to convert it to rack and it's hard to find one that will work over here in the UK. I don't want a power rack.

Wheels that are on there are the original 6 stud 40 Chevy ones, i just put the hubs onto the 54 stub axles because i can't find any Chevy 5 stud steels which is what i will run eventually.

Rear end will be 4 link, needs to be fairly short though as i want to leave the gas tank under what would be the back seat area...

12. Tim G

Tim G

Hopefully you can see what i mean about channeling the 54 crossmember on thisw photo, it's not finished yet, need a bit more boxing/stengthening here and there...

[​IMG]

13. Dyce

Dyce

I thought they looked like stock wheels, but I thought you would have 5 hole wheels on at this point. I think Jaguar wheels have the 4 3/4 pattern like the chevy. If they fit the chevy hubs I don't know.

14. Tim G

Tim G

Yeah i went to our local car breakers yard but all i could find was a big fat pair of horrible cross spoke alloy wheels off a Jag, i bought them to go on the rear so i can roll it about...

15. Tim G

Tim G

Does anyone know of any nice original 39 or 40 coupes or 2 door sedans for sale, Original faded paint prefered but anything considered up to $10k

For a good friend of mine... please help him find a nice car :)

16. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

I have a 40 Chevy sedan master deluxe that's been in a dry barn for almost 30 years. Very original and 100% complete.

Not sure what to do with it. I forgot how cool these cars look. My Dad bought it and always wanted to make a rod with it but had too many other cars.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  17. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Went out to the barn this morning and took two photos. It was dark, sorry about the crappy pictures.

Attached Files:

18. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Trying to sell this 41... The 40 looks way cooler if you ask me!
    [​IMG]

19. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Sharp car!

20. J'LO.217

J'LO.217

Here's a shot of mine

Attached Files:

• 40.jpg
      40.jpg
      File size:
      76 KB
      Views:
    MO54Frank likes this.
  21. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Shit! That's nice! Is it all original?

22. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

would love to see more of the customs,seems like the 40 is a fav with the street rodders.Which just doesn't do this ride any justice

23. J'LO.217

J'LO.217

No, its been re done. It was bought new by my great grandmother and hasn't left the family since. It had a frame off redo about 8 yrs ago with a modern drivetrain and some not so nice interior changes. The exterior was left stock appearance except for a shaved trunk handle and shaved gas filler. Im in the process of changing the interior back to stock appearance right now in between trying to finish a model a coupe ive been working on for umpteen years. I have been thinking about dropping the rear and adding skirts to it, I love the look of the one that Gambino Kustoms did.

24. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

What a great story to have it in the family this long. Would love to see more photos.

25. Tim G

Tim G

Had a bit of progress on mine, also had a bit of a change of plan... Going more for a traditional raked look with original suspension dropped with crossply fat and thin tyres...

This i what it looked like first thing Saturday morning...

[​IMG]

I had a major blitz to get it mocked up and managed to get it looking like this by Saturday lunch time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's fair to say i am freshly inspired! :)

26. Dyce

Dyce

Looking good Tim!!!

27. Cicichopper

Cicichopper

These are mine...

Attached Files:

28. ... I've always liked 40 Chevies since my first hot rod was a tudor sedan,...here's a shot of a 40 coupe I have for sale in the classifieds;...real solid car from North Dakota.
    [​IMG]