Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tudor roof fill panel

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chiro, Oct 18, 2013.

1. chiro

chiro

I did the search but didn't see a lot of choices

Anybody fill a '30-'31 Model A Tudor roof with a junk yard roof? Pictures and donor roof make and model would be great.

Thanks,

Andy

2. 5559

from tn

It may be hard to find now , but I always liked 59-60 chevy stationwagon ribbed roof

3. My pop used a roof off of a late 80's early 90's pontiac station wagon.

4. junk

junk

80's s-10 blazer made a nice filler for a local guy. Don't remember 2dr or 4dr.

5. texkbc

texkbc

Heres mine, not a Model A but an example that might help. I made my roof /insert panel from a 59 Belair.

Attached Files:

6. The 59-60 chevy wagon was the choice many years ago. I've used volare wagon (ribbed and non-ribbed are out there) tops and been quite happy, don't forget your tape measure.

7. The early wagons and econolines was far game 10 to 15 years ago,but they have about dried up.

How about measuring some of the mini vans,the junk yards are full of them. HRP

fiftyv8 likes this.
  8. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I used an astro van roof. Check out my album. I have a buddy that used a Nissan murono roof. Hit a pick a part. Think outside the box.the astro van roof I used was turned backwards on my model a vs the way it was on the van.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  9. Using a 65 Valiant (Australian) stationwagon roof in my 28, it has two ribbed panels in it, looks cool as shit. I think mid 60's Plymouth roof's are the same, took me a lot of searching to find mine and im pretty sure the Plymouth equivelient is pretty bloody rare as well..

fiftyv8 likes this.
  10. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

90s Jeep cherokee roof works pretty good

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Why not do something different.. $40 and 2 days for this one...

Attached Files:

12. I live in Colorado (hail country), there is a lot of new car dealerships that supply replacemnt part to body shops for repairs. Have you ever tried to send a roof panel across country? Usually they order 3 to get 1 desent one, I got a brand new roof for
    nothing, still in the box, with a rolled corner. The bodody shop refused the damaged
    part, the dealer claimed freight damage. I hauled it away for $0.00. Jeep Chrysler dealer,
    minivan I think, was nice to use NEW sheet metal.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  13. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

just did it last week, used a 99 Chrysler carvan top and turned it around and it fit perfectly !I was even able to use the 3 ribs that came with it. cost was $50.00.I'll try op post pics. tomorrow night.

14. I had this 28 body for a while. I'm not sure what they used but here's a pic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

I used a Astro van roof turned backwards and it fit pretty good.

Just Gary likes this.
  16. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Not a model A, but this one was filled with a 55 Chevy wagon roof.

Attached Files:

17. chiro

chiro

^^^^Thanks Gary. Not only does it look great, but the tons of pictures and descriptions of the process are very helpful. I need some education on how a shrinking disc works, how to use one and where to buy one.

Andy

18. 29moonshine

29moonshine

90's suburban worked good in my 29 chevy sedan

19. oneowner

oneowner

96 Lincoln Town car works good

20. 55willys

55willys

70's-80's Volvo roof, the have the right crown and are made of good metal. I have also used 55-57 Chev station wagon roof with great results. Jim

Just Gary likes this.
  21. I used the roof off of a 93 Grand Cherokee. A nice fit.

Lee

22. this is the one I used...

Howell Sheetmetal http://www.fordor.com

part# SR-500 - ribbed

or

SR-500a - smooth

[​IMG]
    basically center it, tack it in the front or back center and work your way around the car. I used a cutting wheel and cut it as I went around tacking it in place then went back and filled it all in. It over hangs at least 6 inches all the way around your opening. They also sell he visor and damn near other sheetmetal part you need. I did end up with some oil canning so you might need to spot weld additional sheetmetal on the bottom side to fix this problem. good luck

23. would help if I actually read your complete question sorry... I heard Jeep grand cherokee roofs work great. That is what Ricky of Ricky Bobby Hot Rods uses.

24. 1980's Granada wagon roof, works perfectly, turn it around backwards the front windshield on the wagon roof fits the rear curve of the sedan roof. Did it twice already. The wagon roof has chrome ribs, when removed the roof is not ribbed only a compound curve remains.

25. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

i used a 94 caravan roof on mine. it was some work to fade out the ribs but it looks great

26. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Attached Files:

27. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

1382667851405.jpg

28. last builder put on a caravan on my 30 and it fits good after doing some finishing
    ribs are cool on it

29. 5559

from tn

Man , am I living in the past !!!!!