Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Water in engine! Now what!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blue71c, Oct 22, 2013.

1. blue71c

blue71c
    from Wisconsin

Hello everyone.
    I recently purchased a 53 dodge with a flat-head 6 in it. I was told the engine hasn't run in about 13 years. I am unable to get the engine to turn over by hand. I have poured ATF into the cylinders from the sparkplugs after blocking off the intake and exhaust ports. I drained the oil and nothing more than sludge and water drained out. What's my next move? Should I fill the crankcase with ATF to eat up any corrosion or am I screwed?
    Any help and good news would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You'll need to dismantle the engine and see if the bores are borable and the block is sound. A complete rebuild is in your future.

3. Did you ever think of removing the engine,dismantle it and rebuild it as I'm sure it is needed...Dont Rube Goldberg it

Clay Belt likes this.
  4. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

yes. blued and tatooed.

5. Pasadenahotrod types faster than I do

6. 1955IHC

1955IHC

7. indyjps

indyjps

If you're not on a hurry you can fill it with ATF and acetone, let it sit for a while and see if you can get it to turn. The engine NEEDS to be rebuilt, but disassembly is much easier when it turns over.

8. Your going to have to rebuild the engine or replace it. HRP

9. blue71c

blue71c
    from Wisconsin

Great, another winter project...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. 2racer

2racer

next move...pull the head and have a look

11. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

You can use ATF and Acetone (50/50) shake the hell out of it then pour it in the block hopefully the Acetone will pull the ATF down into the cylinders and make easier to turn the engine over. If that dont work remove the head and boil some distilled vinegar and fill each cylinder with the hot vinegar let it sit for a good long while then try to turn it over. If neither of those ideas work you might have to remove the crank and beat the pistons out with a large piece of wood.

12. blue71c

blue71c
    from Wisconsin

I was hoping to just get it running and drive it till the snow fell and work on it over winter but I guess I have no choice but to rebuild it sooner...

13. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hey hey , post ad in wanted , there are many running engines out there, 300.00 bucks would buy one, keep your eyes peeled , best wishes on your build

14. McGurk

McGurk
    from Mid West

blue71c,

Cast iron is like a sponge. When exposed to water the corrosion goes deep into the cast iron. You can bore and hone the cylinders, but if you don't get all of the corroded cast iron then you have wasted money on JUNK. I think you would be ahead if you found another engine that had not been exposed to the elements.

McGurk

15. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

hotrod0317
    Haven't heard of boiled distilled vinegar before.
    What does it do?

16. McGurk

McGurk
    from Mid West

blue71c,

If you are hell bent to disassemble the engine then screw all of the homemade remedies and get some LimeWorks. If it dosen't dissolve the rust then given enough time it will dissolve the pistons. My grandfather was a pack rat and he gathered nails. Most were rusty so he would put them in a coffee can full of Coca Cola. That would dissolve the rust and leave the nails shining. Both contain carbolic acid.

McGurk

17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'd pull the head and the oil pan and inspect before pouring anything else in there.

At least a visual inspection will tell you more of what you're dealing with.

18. ^^^^ yep.

Actually if the car were a hot rod that flatty would have been long gone. maybe a hot rod is in your future, heaven forbid.

jvo likes this.
  19. RacerRick

RacerRick

Pull the head and see how the bores look, pull the pan and look at the bottom end.

Make sure the clutch is releasing and none of the accessories are seized.

Worst case scenario is the motor needs replacing. Luckily, flathead mopars are inexpensive to buy.

20. blue71c

blue71c
    from Wisconsin

Well an old Mopar friend of mine knows another Mopar friend of his that has a few of the hemis they used in those cars back then. That might be an option I may use...

21. At several times the price of rebuilding what you have.............................

22. 73RR

73RR

Hemi's are expensive??? say it isn't so...:D and then there are the associated costs of everything else to get one into the hole left by the 230.
    Unless the OP has a lot of disposable income to play with, another 23", or even a 25", is the only practical way to proceed if a proper rebuild is not done. I think this was already mentioned a time or two...

23. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

I had learned it from some old timers. It has the same effect when you use it on a dirty/stained cofee pot. What it does is to clean the metal and it will eat at just the rust similar to apple cider vinegar just not as harsh. Also if there is any built up calcium deposits it will remove them real quick I have a 40 year old original radiator that has been on my car since the factory and it is still working great.

Whenever I do a rad flush I always run 1 gallon of distilled vinegar with 1 gallon of distilled water for about an hour in the engine. After that I drain it and change and even pull the block drains and I flush blocks out with a hose Ill even flush the heater core too. I took an engine into a machine shop and all I did was pressure wash the crap on the outside off and take it in I was asked how long it had been since the block had been hot tanked because the water passages were so nice.

24. blue71c

blue71c
    from Wisconsin

I tried vinegar but it didn't do enough to get it to move. I'm tearing it down and soaking it in Mean Green.

25. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Really 5 years later.

26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:D:p

27. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sometimes you can't make this stuff up. Or can you. Maybe he just wanted to update us. :eek:

upspirate likes this.
  28. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I know. I just couldn't help myself. All bs aside, did u soak it all these years and it's still seized?

29. blue71c

blue71c
    from Wisconsin

No, I soaked it with vinegar for almost a year then emptied that and put in diesel and mmo with no luck. Now I'm tearing it down. #1 rod was seized to the crank, I still haven't tried to push the pistons out.
    And yes, I was giving you all an update. I know everyone had been asking about me. . .

slim38 likes this.
  30. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Well I give the OP credit. Think of how many people that have been given advice over the years on a problem to never be heard from again, good on you.

Cliff Ramsdell

upspirate and slim38 like this.