Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to stroke a 292 Y-block

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31pickemup, Oct 22, 2013.

1. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Hey Gang
    I'm wanting to stroke my 292 Y-block and wanted to know what parts you need to build one. I know John Mummert makes stroker kits but I wanted to do it on a cheaper note. I know I need to turn down a 312 crank but what rods, pistons etc do you have to use? Does anybody have a link possibly on how to do this?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  2. cakes

cakes

Sounds like this may be a bit above your skill level, I would consider calling a competent machinist and have a nice little sit down meeting on what you are trying to accomplish

3. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Lol I wasn't going to do the machine work myself. I just need to know what parts to gather!

4. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Go over to yblocksforever dot com and post your question. Every yblock guru in the country is over there. I could tell you some of it but I would have to stop and remember a bit so as to not lead you wrong. Back in the 60's we de-stroked a 292. Turned some unbelieveable rpms and would go at top end. It was a fun little motor, but that is a separate story. Ron

5. Also gather up a large basket of greenbacks,,,,The cost of this is not worth it...

6. Must be a "Scrub" lover. Try thinking outside the box...

31pickemup, have the 312 mains turned down to 292 specs, use 312 rods, 292 pistons. 292 and 312 piston pin heights are the same, 312 rods are shorter that 292 rods to compensate for stroke increase.

Sonic test bores before going to large too check for core shift.

As suggested, go over to Y-Blocks Forever for more info.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  7. Best advise I can give you is to email mctim64 on here, he is a Y-Block Guru