Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. 270ci

270ci

The rear wheels are simular, but the axle nut is tightened to a very high torque spec...not sure on old Chevy's, but 100-200 ft/lb range is not uncommon...so think breaker bar and a length of pipe. And the axle has a locking taper to the hub which can be a real bear to get loose...might require a puller, heat or other slam/bam techniques...including some serious cussing!

2. Back the axle nut off a bit, then put a wooden block on it and give a whack- that will usually loosen the hub from the axle shaft enough to take the hub off.

3. old_orange

old_orange
    from Odessa, Tx

Is this on the front wheel, back or both?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. mink

mink
    from CT

Width and length.

5. fordflambe

fordflambe

I see you have several great replies to your question but i thought i would include a link to a site where service and parts documentation is captured. It includes several years and i have found it to be helpful regarding my Pontiac Convertible (which is same basic body as Chevy) .......check it out, it may be of additional assistance to you....http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/

Phil

6. On the rear :D- the front shouldn't need that kind of persuasion... if it does, your brakes are really frozen.

7. Joe Tx

Joe Tx

8. Joe Tx

Joe Tx

9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is really nice. I would not be able to hot rod that one, but I'd sure drive the crap out of it.

I just found out that my '26 roadster was built at the Chevrolet plant in Oakland, CA. That's cool I used to live there.

10. midroad

midroad

I could hot rod it, mildly. later 6 inline engine with 50's speed equipment, 4 speed, later hydraulic brakes and lowered. Don't touch the paint.
    Perfect!

11. oldskool3037

oldskool3037

I'm in...the previous owner replaced a lot of wood. Have a truck load of extra parts....grill shell, rear fenders, extra lights! There's even some Ford parts in the bunch. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383486465.175795.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383486507.378249.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383486551.227610.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383486573.827663.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383486603.377587.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383486629.996600.jpg

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Nice. What are your plans?

13. Nice 30 Chevy!Like Six Ball said what are the plans?

14. oldskool3037

oldskool3037

Plans?? To be honest, I've wanted an old chevy coupe rod since I was 15.... One of my boys an I decided to go shovel snow off two widowed neighbor ladies drives this winter... one was a 90 yr old, the other was her 70 yr old daughter...the conversation led to ," you like working on old cars, my daughter has to sell my ex's "72 Chevy truck and " 30 Chevy because her dad passed away" I went and helped her take a bunch of pics and list it on ebay.. I kind of forgot about it.. then 2 weeks ago she stopped by and shot me a price for both...Now I have both! I guess I'll sit on the "30 and team up with my son on the truck.. Then I'll start on the "30 this next summer!!

15. Joe Tx

Joe Tx

16. Well everyone, due to family and health issues, I've been forced to sell my 29 Chevy project. :( As the founder of this social group, I feel like I'm letting you all down, but my interest in early Chevrolet will not stop, despite this setback.

17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

18. Thanks for the offer, but I'm also losing my shop space, so I'll have to politely decline for now. I have a couple of other stock chassis available here locally as well. Thanks for the thought though, the humour is appreciated.

19. Sorry to hear that. I hope as you said it's only a set back and things will work out.
    Tom

20. Sorry to hear you have difficulties 29bowtie, despite that , I would like to jump in here also, I had a '28 tourer many years ago , it was a nice motorable car , so I replaced it with a '34 project !

I now have a '40 pickup that has been my daily driver for the past 16yrs.
    Although it has an all steel cab, I did build the wooden deck as that was what the truck came with when it was new.

The floor and posts and top rail are some island hardwood and the sides and end boards are white pine (painted body color).

Its surviving pretty good :)

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.
  21. Oh, yeah , and somehow I managed to get this pile of wood ..............

LOL

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.
  22. 29Bowtie - So sorry to learn of your situation. Nonetheless, you haven't let anyone down at all. You're facing reality and doing it responsibly. I suspect, with your deep devotion to old Chevys, the situation will turn in your favor in the future.

23. Thank You, so much. Your words are a big help, which is greatly appreciated. One of my issues is a pretty severe case of clinical depression, and even when I was unable to work on the car, due to physical pain issues, the car kept me from losing hope. It's a pretty rough emotional ride right now, but all the great people on the HAMB, and especially this group are a huge form of support. HAMBers are a great family.
    Don

24. Gusaroo

Gusaroo

Here's my Dad's 31. All wood and solid as a bank vault. SBC with a TH350. Straight axle.
    [​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.
  25. Here is a picture I found recently that I thought "wood" interest you people. It's a photo of a 33 Chev, wood structure being assembled.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

27. Joe,
    nice looking old Chevy. Your Dad must be proud!
    Tom

28. luke13

luke13

29. Just wanted to add this cool pic of an Early Chevy racecar, since I haven't posted on this thread for a while.

Attached Files:

30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That driver could get some serious splinters in a crash! Best to stay out front.