Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 276 Desoto Hemi valve seals

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The Rabid Whippet, May 1, 2009.

1. Does anyone run valve seals? Intake, exhaust, or both or none?

2. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

3. Hemi's usually use them on the Intake's
    HemiDeuce.

4. Originally ran them on intakes only - any pros /cons on running them on the exhaust as well?

No to hijack, but supposedly the seals can run the exh valve stems dry.....comment?

Rat

5. I also heard the same thing. Run them on the intake because thats where the vacume is. My 276 had no seals?

6. Intakes only...

7. George

George

The way the ex valves hang, oil can't run up the stems & get into the chamber.

8. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

intakes only

9. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

The valves on my 341 are 11/32" stems with teflon seals and bronze guides. Now to your question. It's true that the exhaust is less prone to drawing oil into the chamber, but does allow more exhaust gas into the block when worn and especially if there is a lot of backpressure in the exhausts system such as tiny pipes. Bonnet type seals are good at keeping splashing oil from soaking the stem and are cheap insurance against burning oil. Bill

10. bigvinny

bigvinny

Hate to hijack this old tread but I need Help with my 276 build. it didn't have any seals on it when I got it but I don't want it to smoke, Tried the umbrella seals but they wont clear my stock double valve springs. Any information would be great. THANKS

11. 73RR

73RR

Ya know, you can always start your own thread....;)

If your springs are, in fact, oem dual, for the 276 then an umbrella should clear. You really don't need dual springs, there are plenty of good singles for the application. But, since you have duals, and if the umbrella won't fit, what are the options?
    If you are running real tight on the clearance then you can get by without a seal, even on the intake. Not uncommon in this shop as I worry about lack of lubrication with a seal if everything is tight. Remember, the top end of an EarlyHemi does not see a huge amount of oil flying around.
    If a valve sticks you can, very quickly, get bent pushrods and/or broken rocker arms.

12. bigvinny

bigvinny

thanks, I agree.

13. My inner stock damper spring wouldn't clear the umbrella seals so I went with a single spring from Hot Hemi Headsor whatever their name is.

14. 73RR

73RR

Big secret about to be revealed ....ready?.....Mopar 360-2bbl springs. Perfect for a multitude of cam profiles in EarlyHemis and rarely any mods to the heads... Available just about anywhere in the $4-5 range. Shhhhhh

15. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

I put in bronze guides then seals on both.