Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A RPU Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaun1162, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Well I picked up this 28/29 Model A RPU off of Craiglist a little while ago, and figured it was about time to make a build thread...

Here's pretty much how I got it... (I just stuck the bed on it for pictures)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't really had alot of time to work on it, but I managed to paint the wheels (hated seeing them red...), and ditched the hood sides (for now). Probably not the most important things to be working on, but I wanted to see how it looked...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My plans (for now) are pretty much just finish everything like it is and get it running/driving/on the road before I do anything really big to it. Here's the plans so far:
    • Going to keep the banger motor, haven't tried to get it started yet but it is free so that's nice. May switch over to an FS ignition distributor, and if funds allow it go to a downdraft Weber set-up (even though they are pretty ugly).
    • Going to stick with the mechanical brakes, rebuild them, and get the reinforcing bands to help the old steel brake drums.
    • Finish the body work on the cab (95% is done, mostly just fitting everything), and fix the rust spots on the bed)
    • Likely going to go 12 volt to keep things simple, and get rid of that ugly battery hanging beneath the floor- probably going to use an Odyssey PC680. Will also add turn signals..
    Beyond that, who knows... I've got a set of '35 Ford wire wheels for it, but the tread on the tires it has now aren't bad, and after painting the rims black they're kind of growing on me. Also might get a little creative with the windsheild in the future (maybe a slight chop and lean it back?)...

2. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Too cool Shaun, sounds like a good plan, will be watching this one too...have fun!!

3. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks Louie! I think I'm starting with a little bit more this time, compared to the 210 Coupe :rolleyes:

4. 117harv

117harv

Nice truck, much better with the red gone. I like your plans, please don't lower it, it looks great as is.

5. bgaro

bgaro

how 'bout a top, that would look great with a chopped windshield.

6. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Shaun! It is a very nice car. I think it best to stick with your good and simple plan.:cool::D

7. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Don't worry, no plan on lowering it- the farthest I'd go is chopping the windshield, but that long-term...

If I ever do chop the windshield, a top will definately be in the plans- there's a few pretty cool highboy RPU's with chopped windshields/tops that look killer... But for now, just going to get it going as-is

Yes, hopefuly won't have to do any big tear downs on this one- certainly nothing like my race car :rolleyes:

Ordered up an FS Ignition distributor this afternoon, so maybe next week I'll try to get it started!

8. I run a single 97 on a no name intake with a straight pipe off stock manifold. FS ignition I have works outstanding and is extremely nice to time vs. Original distributor. 12V is the way to go. I run the smallest battery I could find, its from Costco. When is the last time the engine ran?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

9. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Glad to hear your experience! Undecided on wether to go Weber or Holley/Stromberg... A Holley or Stromberg would definately look better on there though...

As for my battery plans, here's the PC-680:

[​IMG]

The dimensions are only about 7" x 3" x 7 and1/4" - should fit nicely under the seat.. I've got one in my coupe and it turns over a 283 without a problem, so a banger shouldn't be an issue. Ha, at a cruise night a guy looked over my race car and stated that his kid's Powerwheels had a bigger battery in it :rolleyes:

As for the banger... No idea when it last ran! The tilltoson carb looks pretty well weathered, but the distributor looked really fresh under the cap, so who knows... I know it hasn't been lately though!

10. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Today was like a mini-Christmas opening up boxes of parts :)

Got my FS Ignition distributor + coil, an old homemade downdraft intake, and a complete set of brake shoes and springs (which I got for half price).

Just some makeshift wiring, but I've got spark now! Now I just need to get it some fuel...

[​IMG]

This was sort of an impulse buy, and I'm not sure if I'll even use it, but it's still pretty neat to look at anyways... 1 barrel Holley on top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Been trying for the past fews days to get this thing running...

Hooked up a stock Zenith carb that I knew was good, and got nowheres. I was getting spark and the carb was good, but it wouldn't even sputter...

So I decided this afternoon to pull the intake and exhaust manifold, and found the ports full of gunk/rust/sludge... (They were pretty much 3/4 full... I took some out before the picture!)

[​IMG]

After seeing that mess, I figured I'd better see what was lurking underneath the head. Got all the nuts off and used the rope trick to pop the head up (which works great by the way!). Things weren't in as bad of shape as I had thought they were going to be, but the valves certainly aren't in the best of shape...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't taken the valves out yet to see what the seats look like, but it looks like I'm in for some work....

Undecided if I should try to fix this one, or go out and find another one. The motor has to come out regardless because the clutch or something bad- the pedal goes right to the floor and stays there...

The guy I bought this RPU has an extra A motor on a stand that he's had running and didn't smoke, overheat, etc. He wants $500 for that one- thinking that might be an easier route to go.

12. Dyce

Dyce

If the valves look like that the cilnders to me are in question. And I am surprised it turns over.

13. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Surprisingly the cylinder walls weren't really affected much- there's no rust on any of the bores, just some junk sitting on top of the pistons. There's no ridge at the top of the bore, and no serious scoring that I can see...

14. b-bob

b-bob

You know that isn't a real roadster p.u. body right?

15. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Yes, I know. Easier to call it an RPU....

Thanks for the input.

16. Get the 500$ runner, clutch is generally a cheap easy fix.

17. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I'll hopefully be doing that this weekend- after I sell off one of my other projects... Then maybe I'll be more motivated to work on it!

18. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Well made a little bit of progress..

Sold an O/T project and had some extra cash to go get this motor... Over all looks pretty clean- I figured the valve area would have alot more gunk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And so this afternoon I decided to work on a fun side project that I've been thinking about for a while...

I want to give credit where credit is due, so I'll say that I was inspired by a photo BCCHOPIT posted on the Fordbarn of a set-up he made... After seeing the set-up he made, I decided to put a couple extra exhaust manifolds to good use:

[​IMG]

Just cut the manifolds in half, and used a MIG welder to attach some caps on the ends- primitive, but hey, I think it'll work!

I know it's a pretty small/unimportant part of the project, but I think I'm going to paint the banger yellow... Sick of all the dark green ones!

19. My first banger was catapillar yellow..... if all seems well clean her out real good with clean gas and a paint brush, new gaskets, head resurfaced, and mask n paint. Reassemble and run her. Thats what i have done with both my "ran when parked" bangers.

20. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I like the way you think :)

On a side note, when the bellhousing and everything is removed, but I put this motor on a regular engine stand?

21. Yes harbour freight engine stand, make sure you have propper threaded bolts, tap the threads on everything real well first. You will need spacers on the bolts though, i used 1/2 npt nipples. I will try to post a picture of some of my setups.

22. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Great, thanks!

23. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Shaun, I see this is going to be a fun project. Thanks for sharing it with us. :cool::D

24. Nice build so far. Those RPU's sure look like fun:)!!!

25. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Makin' progress :)

[​IMG]

26. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Need to get some better pictures- but she's up and running :)

Attached Files:

27. Yeah buddy, good deal on gettin her running!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

28. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

29. patman

patman

Screaming Yellow Zonkers!!

30. Im lovin it'

that was a McDonald reference...
    the red and yellow clash..why not do it all red? Love A trucks, have fun