Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need some dimensions off an aluminum Buick brake drum. Anyone got one handy?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CoolHand, Oct 19, 2013.

1. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

As the title says, I need some dimensions off of a later (like 63-64) Buick aluminum brake drum.

If anyone has one handy that they can pull some good dimensions off of for me, I'd surely appreciate it if they'd PM or email me so we can talk.

When I say good dimensions, I mean using all the little marks on the tape ;) (machinist's rule would be better).

I think you guys will like what I've got cooking, but I need some preliminary dimensions so I can verify the economic viability of the project before I announce anything.

Also, anyone who's got one of these drums that they can't use (lining won't clean up, cracked, etc) and wants to sell it, PM or email me. I'll need one in-hand eventually too.

That is all, thanks for looking and maybe helping out.

2. 55willys

55willys

Wheel mounting surface (wms) to back of drum 4". wms to back of drum liner 3 9/16". Raised edge rib to back of drum 3 3/4". Thickness at wms 3/8". Back of drum to hub mounting surface 3 5/8". Back of drum to inside face at liner 3 1/8". Hub hole 3 3/8". wms diameter 6 7/8". Inside of raised lip on outside of drum 10 3/4". Outside raised lip 11 1/2". Drum diameter at front 12 3/4". Drum diameter at rear not including fins 14 1/4". Back edge of drum at outside recess for backing plate 13 13/16''. Inside of recess 13 1/16". Depth of recess from back edge of drum 13/16". Inside drum liner 12'. Thickness if drum liner 7/32". Back edge of drum to step on outside 1 1/8"-1 1/4" dependent on where on the angle it is measured. Height of fin at rear 1/2". Length of fin from rear 2 5/8". Hopefully this will be enough to get started. Jim Ford (55willys)

3. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

4. I got a pair of NOS 90 fin aluminum drums if you want 90 fin dims you PM me.