Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Aussie HAMBers:Need your help!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powrshftr, Oct 19, 2013.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

I have been looking everywhere for a '64-'65 Australian Falcon steering box.
    I need this part for my '65 A/FX recreation,as Dearborn Steel Tubing and later Holman/Moody,installed the Australian box on the outboard side of the drivers side frame rail.
    If anyone can help me out with this,I will be very grateful,and I have cash for the part,and what is sure to be a crazy amount for shipping,but hey...I need this to finish the car,right...?
    Thanks,

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. midroad

midroad

I have a friend who is into early Falcons. I'll see if he has a steering box and get back to you tomorrow.

3. Cragar

Cragar

try compact 63 he has early falcon stuff

4. 63Compact

63Compact

I've got a couple Compact Fairlane steering boxes, they have a flange at the box, not a full length shaft might be cheaper to ship let me know.

5. Dive in deep and ship over a complete Falcon ute :eek:. Next project :D:

6. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks midroad!

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks Cragar!

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

63Compact,could you post up a pic of what you've got?
    Thanks,

Scott

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

Something similar to this is what I'm looking for:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382266666.997294.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382266709.367661.jpg
    Sorry for the grainy ,50 year old photos,but that's all I can track down for these cars.
    Thanks,

Scott

10. powrshftr

powrshftr

11. Well, theres one right there? You'll have to post it anyway regardless of ebay or from the HAMB.. just bid on that and tell old mate to chop half the column off and throw it in the bin and post you the box and rest of the shaft?

I've never understood some HAMB'ers hatred for ebay.. heaps of good bits to find on there.

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

If you've ever been fucked over by egay's dispute resolution process and/or PayPal,you will understand....I'm sure there are dozens on here who share my position on this.
    I do appreciate you tracking down that part though.

Scott

13. Veach

Veach

I have one out of a 60 falcon 2 dr wagon will it fit ? When I go down to the shop I will take a few pics of it so you can see just so you know I live in Texas

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

Could you shoot me a couple of pics Veach?It might be the same part.Id it is I will definitely take it!:)
    Scott

15. Veach

Veach

I live in Texas just so you know Veach

16. powrshftr

powrshftr

I don't know if you can clearly see the pics I posted or not,but does the one you have look similar to that?

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

So the box you have is from an Aussie car though,right Veach?

18. Veach

Veach

No it's not sorry I forgot Y'all drive on the wrong side of the road is there something else I can help you with ?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  19. powrshftr

powrshftr

Lol!
    We drive on the same side of the road as you guys do Veach....I need a "backwards" steering box to mount OUTSIDE the frame rail for header clearance on an A/FX car,like the factory cars did.

Scott

20. midroad

midroad

I spoke to my friend today. He doesn't have a steering box. They are all the same from 1960 to 1965. He had to make one out of three to repair the box in his '65 coupe.
    His opinion is that is is almost impossible to find a usable steering box now and there are NO parts available, either NOS or aftermarket.
    We had a tiny production run compared to you guys and cars here get worked very hard. The first Falcon sold here was not a success as it wouldn't stand up to our conditions.
    Sorry I can't help you. It sounds like a great project.

21. junkmn

junkmn
    from melbourne

For christ sake you'd think someone would have turned one up already from down under still plenty about if people are prepared to look!

Just so happens i have one, and i'm more then happy to donate it to such an awesome project, its yours for free! It was removed from a low milage but badly rusted out xp ute i parted earlier in the year, still plenty of other parts available !

Pm me and we can get the ball rolling, i'm located in the eastern suburbs melbourne and i'll be glad to help. All you will need to do is pick up th shipping cost i'll have it packed really well! And will personally drop it of to the shipper for you how does that grab you?

Oh the power of the hamb! Yee ha!

22. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks junkmn!You rule!Pm coming your way!

Thanks again!

Scott

23. dodgord

dodgord

Plenty of Aussies heading over for sema next week, just need to find one with some baggage space

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

Box shipped out by HAMBer Junkmn!
    The HAMB members come through again!!!!
    Thanks Brother!

Scott

25. junkmn

junkmn
    from melbourne

I'm glad I could help out with this cant wait to see the end result of this project, feel free to let me know if there are any other parts you require and i will try to find them for you especially for early Australian built Ford ,Gm and Mopar. Cheers Junkmn.

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

I'll post pics as I progress,but it's going to be awfully slow getting started,as I am working up in the Arctic,and don't get much wrench time on the cars....
    Might have to enlist some help to get started.Never done that before,and it's making me queasy just thinking about paying someone to work on my car...
    I've always felt that paying someone else to service your car is not much better than paying someone to service your wife...!lol!

27. 63Compact

63Compact

Glad to see you got sorted good job Junkmn.

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks a bunch for the helping hand!Just picked up the box yesterday!I owe you BIG for this one!

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

29. my memory is a bit fuzzy and I didn't have a camera with me ,but I remember seeing the reverse of you plan in australia back in the 80's or 90's , a gur had used a l/h/d inside box and mounted on the outside r/h rail to clear 427 cast long headers , had to extend drag/center link