Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Race of Gentlemen, 2nd Annual 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Jul 9, 2013.

1. I can confirm the dog is in the bag....or it was....

Attached Files:

2. ThrottleJockey

ThrottleJockey

If you need help car wrangling next year I will be glad to help run the cars.

3. Search Dog

Search Dog
    from Western CT

Didn't I see her in the Thunderdome movie? :D

4. T__N__A

T__N__A

I also volunteer T.J. to wrangle up the cars.... he did an awesome job and really picked up the pace and alot of cars got to run.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Search Dog

Search Dog
    from Western CT

Well, been home for a week. After planning and building during much of 2013, bugging Mel via email, three weeks before the event it became painfully clear that we weren't going to finish in time.
    So the wife and I went as spectators.
    Gotta say we were a little puzzled at first, 'cause nothing was happening and we didn't know why.
    We were sitting on the berm about halfway down the track (not far from the Vol FD's beer trailer!) and never knew there was an announcer until we were leaving at the end of the day! Damn! That was the first view of the flag girls, too. Double damn!
    Of course, that was on top of Friday night blowin' out a varicose vein in my ankle (never happened before) and covering the motel room - walls and floor - with my blood. Direct pressure and elevation stopped it, eventually, but not before the room was transformed into a crime scene from CSI. :D
    Bloodletting not withstanding, TROG II was a great time. Hope to be back next year, on four wheels or two!

6. Carter

Carter

I agree, TJ's the man.

Sent from my H866C using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Free spirits must be a dominant gene in your family.............

8. Search Dog

Search Dog
    from Western CT

9. Looks like video of the cars returning after the finish line....

10. ELD

ELD

NEW Video> via Classic Car Pictures
    http://youtu.be/7MMoS-ALT8Y
    Published on 15 Oct 2013
    Oilers Car Club - "The Race of Gentlemen 2013". Find Us at: http://classiccarpictures.us/

The Race of Gentlemen, an end-of-summer hot rod jamberoo on the beaches of New Jersey. The event is organized by the Oilers Car Club and consists of pre-WWII cars and bikes racing heads-up down the shoreline. It's everything you imagine hot-rodding once was: flag girls and minimal rules, sand and spray flying off the tires, and lots and lots of flathead rumble.

Photos courtesy of Race of Gentlemen Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/OilersCCRace...

11. Deluxe 3 Window

Deluxe 3 Window
    from colorado

Hey Mel it was really cool to go to the beach house and hang with you and the guys. I had a blast around the fire having beers. You guys are a gas! Tommy's stories had me rolling, surfer dudes were cool and the Oiler guys are solid! Was going to take you up on flopping there that night but was worried that Tommy might have a pheasant feather, and I might be in one of his funny ass stories next time. ha ha ha. That was the first night of an awsome weekend. cheers

12. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Mel we had a great time and coming back for sure with cars next year! your mom was a angel, and Nick was perfect! Cant wait til next year buddy...

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Mel, so glad that things went well this year, hope to get there in 2014. That sure looks like a Bugatti, wonder if it is one I worked on years ago. Bob [​IMG]

14. Haaaa, What a gas man!!! I'm so happy you made it out and I'm looking forward to catching back up soon. At somebody else's show, so I can freaking relax and enjoy my friends. Until next time!!!

15. Ah Lucky! Haven't been able to stop thinking about you and the Weez.
    Been meaning to call you and see if you guys got home ok. I was so pissed your tables got taken, and then your tents. FUGGG! Some shit just happens and is out of my control when the Chaos in sues. I sure was happy to see you at our home base though, as its an honor to have you guys under our roof/tent.

I'm hiring a full time fluffer next time to grease the Weez, and tickle your beach balls.

Ask Scott from DeLuxe about Tommy's pheasant feather! Thanks for being good sports during all that and I'll be sure to hook you up right next time.

16. No Bob, that is my buddy Dan's completely scratch built Bugatti.

He an old student of our friend Fay Butler. Dan built everything, and I mean everything. No engine in it yet though. Our fellow Oiler Jeremy Baye, of 1945 Speed and Custom has made a couple duplicate frames for future cars too. Dan is a sick welder, he just wanted some help from friends.

Dan and I have been keeping a secret. We are building multiple bodies soon of our own design. I'll keep the rest hush for now until we are ready to unveil. I chose the name for the Company, I love it! A secret too, until it's all locked up.

Dan and I were to be shaping the day after the race for some internet TV show. While leaving Wildwood, I found out that it had been postponed till the end of October, and they forgot to call and tell me. Ha...

I needed the time to straighten my life out anyway. It still looks like a bomb went off in my yard and garage. I missed you at Hershey this year. I only went one day, good times as usual though. I saw a lot of Trog friends...

17. It's amazing all the people that are writing with entries for next year. All the maniacs that built cars this year are returning with new builds. Even have a car club wanting to come from South Africa. Nuts!

18. I'd love some feed back about the Date.

We hated that it fell on the Amca Swap meet at Jefferson this year. We were forced into that date, hence the reason we stretched it from just a one day show to a two day show.

Jefferson, is a Friday, Saturday show that has gone on for some 15 years I think. But like any good show, the hard core guys go out Wed., set up early Thurs, and all pull out Friday night, or early Sat. morn or afternoon.

So most our Trog pals didn't mind pulling into Wildwood on Friday night or early Sat am.

So... I really feel like the weekend we had, the first weekend of October is a pretty good spot now. As it is sandwiched between The Rodders Journal show in the end of Sept, and followed up after us by Hershey.

We were lucky enough to get the boys and girls making the pilgrimage East for all three shows this year.

As I talk to some other Cali. pals that didn't make it this year and want to next year, it seems like the other dynamic shows just help for a little road trip and make it all the more fun to get a Trog under their belts.

Please tell what you think?

19. The date worked well I thought. The weather was great too.

Please keep the weekend long format. Bracket racing one day, grudge matches the next. One day on the beach isn't enough....

It would be wicked cool to have some type of depot hack or period correct shuttle to bring spectators from the gate out to the Race of Gentlemen Tent City at the water's edge.

20. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

i like the idea of the first weekend in OCT. i also like the weekend long format i am never going to miss this event again . i was unaware that it was happening the first year so i can not compare them . from the pics i can see that there was a certain something about the first one that will be hard to top . but that happens with everything . the 2nd TROG was by far the greatest thing i have ever been to related to hot rods and can only be topped for me by the actual hunting and scoring of parts and working stupid hours with buddies to make them into something . and being able to take that something that has consumed you and bring it to an event like this and race it against like minded people is priceless . i agree with some of the comments about things that can be done , but i feel like a dick even making innocent recommendations because i could never have pulled this off like the OILERS did . only few things that i can think of that i think would be awesome is that as the cars are brought on the beach to start the day it would be very cool if the announcer read our bio and info on the car as each car was making a single car pass to get a feel for the track. the crowd gets to see the cars get into it one at a time and the driver gets to see what he is about to do for 2 days and if we back in at a 90* angle to the staging area ..... staging would be much easier for whoever is setting that up maybe even have each car park in the same spot when returning each time to avoid chasing around our cookie sheets LOL . i know these things are taking away from the organic feel of the race a little but i think they would make for much faster action . please understand that i am in no way trying to push my way into changing things i simply want to help . next year i am going to rent a house for the week so i will be there by wednesday before the weekend race and i will be there until wednesday following the race so i will be available for physical help !! LONG LIVE THE ROG !!

HOLLYWQQD

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  21. Ah, funny you should mention. We are going to have a few Deuce and halves next year.

22. Hollywood, no offense taking. We know exactly what should be changed and we want to change. Thing is, there was a ton out of our control this last year. Next year we will have total control. We were also promised things that never happen. We planned for those things to happen, so it was a nightmare dealing with it all during the chaos.

Some point soon I'll feel you guys in a little more. Look forward to seeing you all next year!

23. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

i'm looking forward to next year already!! got a couple different cars in the works to bring down to race if there is room for em and a couple cars to bring down just to show and drive around town , maybe a race bike 45" and a couple cruiser bikes to shuffle around town on . looking at a house for the week so we can help a bunch if needed !!

24. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

I'll be bringing one of my home chopped cruisers down for next year.. Walked a shit ton this year!! haha
    [​IMG]

25. Hell yeah!

26. Hell yeah!

27. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

I think the date was perfect, Hershy the next week bring some folks from overseas a little early, the AMCA meet has everyone in the mood the week before...

One thought, maybe a water truck to keep the beach access wet and firm?

28. Ah, turns out... The beach of course was never fluffier. Of course the weekend we need it goes from hard to soft, story of my life!

But, mayor sez whatever we need is ours, including military trucks to get anything we need done next year. All good!!!

29. I had a great time at this event. It's up there with the best events I have been to. Sorry Mel I had to pull out my entry at the last minute due to not being able to take off work enough days. Hopefully next year I will be able to do the road trip and take one of my cars.

30. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

It was a perfect weekend, great date. On Friday it was like we had Wildwood all to ourselves, and once the sun went down on Saturday too. Really glad you decided to run on Sunday too, i think the spectators enjoyed the non-stop runs going down Sunday.