Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banjo Axle Housing Question - Can this be repaired?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Sep 1, 2003.

1. I've never been accused of working too fast - I also don't give in too easily. My quest to piece together a good banjo rear end continues...

Crestliner hooked me up with a good banjo center section and ring and pinion gear. Another rear donated its axles. I thought I had a good set of axle housings until today when I went to clean them up and found that the bearing surfaces on the ends were "chewed up" a bit on the bottom sides.

My question: Could these be turned down and a hardened sleeve placed on the ends or am I back to square one - hunting good axle housings?

If I am back to square one, does anyone have a good pair that they would part with? I'd like to see them first though. I've hauled too many home recently only to find that they were busted somewhere.

I need the shorter '39-'41 housings.

My pics are pretty fuzzy but you can see what I'm talking about I think.

Thanks, JH

Attached Files:

2. ... and the other side.

Attached Files:

3. pikesan99

pikesan99

What length housing do you need? I've got two banjos I don't really need. I'd like to see them find a good home.

Send a length and where to measure from and I'll see what I've got. Seeing them would be tough (I'm in AZ!) but I could take lots of pictures. Email Pikesan99@hotmail just in case I don't check this soon enough.
    Pike

4. I measured from where the housing bolts to the banjo center section to the flat surface where the backing plate sits (where you see the four bolt holes in each pic above).

It measures 24 5/8". The later '46-'48 hosuings will measure about an inch longer. I need the short ones.

Are yours apart? Shipping might make this tough ('specially if yours is a complete rear) but let's talk.

In the mean time I'd still like to hear any thoughts on my sleeve idea if anyone would care to weigh in.

Thanks, JH

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Mac's catalog lists the following:

P/N A4012US (Ford P/N B-4012) $19.50 each Fits 32-48

Rear axle housing bearing race repair sleeve / case hardened / also for 40-47 pickup / requires machining your housing / with instructions

Sounds feasible to me then. And if Mac's carries it, I would imagine most of the major early Ford parts houses do too.

Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

6. Crestliner

Crestliner

Just bought an old 40 ford vendors estate yesterday and will have some rears,but hard to tell condition. Most will probably have wear. You more than likely e money ahead to buy the sleeve and have yours repaired.

7. Flat Ernie you (and Mac's) may have solved the problem.

I'll give them a call after I get in touch with my buddy at the Vo-Tech school machine shop.

Maybe I won't have to make jack stands out of them after all.

Thanks, Jim

8. Looks like the lathe at the Vo-Tech school can handle it.

I ordered the sleeves from Mac's. I'll update on how it goes.

Thanks guys, JH

9. av8

av8

Harrison -- That's a common repair for Ford axle bearing races. The race area must be heated to kill the case hardening so they can be cut, but I'm sure you'll read all about that in the instructions that accompany the repair sleeves.

FWIW, the old races can also be ground to size to accept the repair sleeves, on a large crank grinder -- one large enough to handle ag or heavy-equipment cranks.

10. I just read about this problem and the answer to your question in the Bishop/Tardell book, sounds like you'll get over this little bump without a huge headache.

11. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

I know this thread is ancient, but has anyone had success with this process? Who did you use to install the bearing sleeves. I’ve been turned down by al the machine shops in my area. All said they do not have the ability to complete the job.

12. 117harv

117harv

13. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I had this done here in Denver, the machine shop needs a lathe with a huge bed to fit the axle housings in. It worked out fine and you won't tear up the roller bearings with brand new races.

14. 41fordor

41fordor

Groovybaby - Who in Denver can (and knows how) to do the turning and install the sleeves? I have galled races on my original, and the spare 41 rear I bought.

Thanks. Many posts have mentioned that it can be done, I'd also like to know who has had it done successfully and if the imported races hold up with regular driving.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might hunt down a machine shop (job shop not an automotive machine shop) that does a lot of work on ag =farm machinery. It should be pretty much of a standard operation for them and having the instructions along should help when you ask.

16. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I took mine to Jim Neilsen at Autowash (303) 788-0519, he has a machinist who does these. I think I had to get the sleeves from Mac's.