Register now to get rid of these ads!

Parts washer solvent

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M224SPEED, Oct 14, 2013.

1. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

What kind of solvent are most of you using in your parts washers?

Please no gasoline or mineral spirits, I am ruluctant to use the stuff Harbor Freight ,and Northern tools has due to the fact the contents come up listed as to be so much of a hazard,I dont think I want to breath or take a chance of splashing this stuff on my skin. :eek: Not to mention where it comes from are we really getting the real truth as to what really is in the container?

2. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

3. 22george

22george
    from ohio

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I use stodderd or naphtha

5. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

Purple Power. Works great, low cost, smells good, and works well.

6. And not so good for aluminum.... You have to thoroughly rinse aluminum with clean water if you use these type of cleaners (simple green, etc) as they're very corrosive. Particularly castings, as they can be porous.

The FAA banned these for aircraft use, as at least one aircraft crash was traced back to these. The Army lost several helicopters due to airframe damage from crews using simple green for cleaning.

7. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I've used kerosene the past year. I think in works great. All the crap settles out of it, you can then siphen the clean fluid off the top and dump the rest. If you buy it out of the pump its not that expensive...lasr time I paid $4.00.

8. I use to use Varsol but it's difficult to find now that I am not in retail and can't special order it through some of the paint company's.

I have started using mineral spirits (paint thinner) but because most of it stinks I add a quart of pine sol to it,,smells a lot better. :D HRP

9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I use a parts washing solvent that I buy from Oil Dealers Association here in town

10. butch27

butch27

Fairly new product called Drive-Up is used by a lot of NASCAR teams to soak engine blocks. It's pretty good on drive-way stains too.

11. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I got mine at the TSC Farm Store. Works just fine. 5 gallon can.

12. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Yep,same here.

13. mattrod68

mattrod68

kerosene works well