Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds guys....'26 or '49 ?? Need feedback.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn Hunter, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I found a couple of Oldsmobiles for sale and I'm torn. A '26 2 door sedan and a '49 2 door fastback. The 26 is 95% complete and 95% rust free with a '46 Stude 6 cyl. and is 3500. The 49 has no engine/trans/interior, has a little more rust and is about 2500. Would like to know the goods and bads about these. Some obvious is the amount of wood in the 26. The frame looks much heavier than a T and it's parallel leaf front and back. They're just so different but both are cool.

Attached Files:

• o25.jpg
      o25.jpg
      File size:
      282 KB
      Views:
    • o42.jpg
      o42.jpg
      File size:
      415.8 KB
      Views:
  2. wheel28

wheel28

Easy answer both. For those prices you will be kicking yourself if one gets away.

I would build the 49 first .

Will

3. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What he said ^^^^. I would love a '49 fastback, but the '26 looks cool also.

4. The '49, hands down!...................or both.

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Buy them both, build the 26 and send me the 49 to Ohio, I just had a birthday and nobody got me a damn thing! If that doesn't sound to good to you, buy both and flip to 26 and use the profit to build that 49 with a J-2 Olds and a hydro. Love that Olds body style!

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

49 without a doubt...

7. papajohn

papajohn

If you can only swing one, get the 49 and give the lead to the 26 to a buddy.

Otherwise get both.

Posted using a number two pencil on a paper napkin.

8. bgaro

bgaro

i'd be all over the '26. personal preference i guess, ask yourself " do i want a hot rod or a custom?"

9. 327Eric

327Eric

get the 49. cheaper to build

10. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

I was born in '49 so I need a '49 something and that would be an excellent choice.

11. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

The whole front cap to the 49 is rust free, just disassembled....you guys are swaying me that way. Would be a neat cruiser.

Attached Files:

• o41.jpg
      o41.jpg
      File size:
      415.5 KB
      Views:
  12. I would buy the Olds!:D

I like the idea of the '26,,it's considerably rarer of the two cars and in a sea of Fords and Chevys you don't see many,especially here in the South. HRP

13. Count yourself lucky,,,My birthday was last week and all I got(from my girlfriend) was a piece and a pair of stretch socks,,,Both to large..

14. raidmagic

raidmagic

15. The '26 is a dare to be different choice. The '49 is a traditional hot rodder favorite choice. It is your call. Which one speaks to you? Which one inspires YOU? Which one realistically would you drive and enjoy? Building either will take time, dedication, and $$$. Just pick one and stick with it to the finish.

16. pitman

pitman

Tough to call, I'd bet you would enjoy cruising in the '49
    esp as the bodywork and paint progress. Even primed it will
    look killer!

17. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As mentioned above, buy them both and flip one of them. Which depends on how much time you want to spend on the build and what you want to do with it. 26 will take longer and will not be as comfortable if you intend to put any long distance miles on it. 49 sedanettes are also fairly rare, but they make great cruisers. You are also likely to find more knowledge/info on building the 49 here on HAMB and a bigger selection of parts.

18. You're not going to flip for much of a profit at that buy in.

The '49 will be the easier build, it shares the body shell with Chevrolet so rubber, glass, some patch panels exist for it, there are later rearends that will bolt right in, the front suspension and brakes will be a little harder to update but not out of the realm of possibility.

19. belair

belair

49 -no contest

20. Model T1

Model T1

As much as I love the older cars I'd grab the 49 Olds and build a nice driver.

21. If the wood is solid (easy way to tell is that the doors fit right, don't sag, and close tight) and none of the hard to find stuff is missing off of it, I'd want the '26. Would like to see pics of the Stude 6 swap. That said, the '49 will cost less to build and you can be driving it sooner. Lower center of gravity and more aerodynamic shape will be better for cruising on the Interstate. More boxy shape of a body that was never intended to run 70 plus mph will translate into more wind noise, and a flat vertical windshield will give you lots of glare from the headlights of cars behind you. That's why people used to install those little window shades on the rear window.

22. I would personally prefer the 26 for myself, but if you are going to rod one, I would think the 49 would be easier, cheaper and cooler when finished. A 26 Olds is more of a restorer's material I think.
    I fell in love with this one at a recent car show..

Attached Files:

23. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

even though i like Oldsmobiles, i want to know about that poncho in front of the 26.

24. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

There's really nothing missing to speak of. It has a Model A headlight bar and headlights. The wood needs to be at least partly redone and I imagine it would be a major chore to replace it all with steel. What's cool is that it has pull down shades on all 4 side windows...didn't see one for the back window.

It's a 67 GTO with an incorrect motor and it's 12 G's.

25. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

This is sweet. It looks chopped and I'm not up to that right now...but I like it. I'd definitely do skirts and a louvered hood.

26. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

I agree with other people saying it's about what you want. One is hot rod material, the other is custom material.

27. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

'49 all the way.

28. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

i love that '26, matter of taste but i would also be all over that car.

29. Charlie Jones

Charlie Jones
    from Apopka FL.

I vote for the 49. Build it with a 394 Olds backed up by a topshift Cad / LaSalle tranny.