Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Wanted!!! 1964/65 Ford Falcon A/FX Pics!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FAST EDDIE'S HOT ROD SHOP, Nov 24, 2009.

1. CHUCK STARK

CHUCK STARK

Had a nice chat on the phone yesterday with Carl Moyer owner of Karl's Chevy of Ankney, Iowa. He was at Dick Walters Ford in Des Moines when Hubert Platt ran the 2 cars, the "Iowa Shaker" Falcon and the "Georgia Shaker" Mustang. The Falcon started out as a racer in a Mobile Gas run and they had made it into a funny car and the Mustang was built by Hubert. They had a match race at Des Moines Dragway and Carl drove the Falcon. They had a F-600 truck that had the sign on the hood, "Here comes trouble". The Falcon sat on the roof, the Mustang on the bed and a lightweight 64 Galaxie on the trailer towed behind. Carl made a pass in the Falcon with a wheelstand and the second one the seat broke leaving him hanging on to the steering wheel. He had hired a black man to dress up in a tux complete with a top hat to clean the tires off on the Falcon. He said that the last race he had in the Falcon was at Redwing Minn. against the Ramchargers Dodge, best 2 out of 3, he won the first but lost the last 2 rounds. We had a lot of laughs about the broken seat. We were running a 55 Mercury with a 427 and he gave us a set of headers from the Falcon, we couldn't get them to run under the engine as the chassis was to narrow so we ran then up on top and they looked like rams horns. Man it was loud and right up in your face, sometimes spitting out a bit of flame from time to time. Good memories and thanks Carl. Chuck

2. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

If I'm not mistaken that's the ex-Nicholson/Schartman Ugly Duckling '64 Comet wagon !

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Yes;that is the one and only factory built 64 Mercury Comet wagon! There is a story on where it ended up over on the 64/65 Comet thread. ROY.

4. Posted by Dan Bell on Facebook Phil Bonner ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378270544.184252.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I too broke my seat mount with an O/T car and hung on to the steering wheel. Not fun !!

6. tatman43

tatman43
    from Wisconsin

Crites Restoration now makes the combination teardrop and ram air hood....check with them fiveoh108

7. 65COMET

65COMET

I just went [9:40PM]to Crites web site,NO combo hoods listed for ANY Falcon or Comet!! ROY

8. Yea I checked too Roy, nothing

9. Posted by Dennis Doubleday on Facebook. The swan falcon.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380571354.682777.jpg

10. tatman43

tatman43
    from Wisconsin

My apologies about Crites...I saw a 64 with a combination teardrop and ram air and I could have sworn the article said it was from Crites, I was also on their site yesterday and realized they just have one or the other and not combined. Sorry

11. 65COMET

65COMET

tatman;NO WORRIES,just thought maybe I missed something on Crites site!I need to do a teardrop on my 65 over the twin snorkle hood as I have almost no clearance between the carb and my hood! ROY.

12. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I really need to start posting up some pictures of my current A/FX altered wheelbase Falcon I'm building, now that it is actually starting to look like a car. Here is a shot from what I was working out today. I've yet to see this done, but thought it would really follow the vibe of the "match bash street afx" theme. Look under the bumper, it appears to be a bone stock fuel tank, when it actually is the bottom portion of the the tank (well, actually two tanks put together to fill in the almost 11 inch wheelbase mod!) turned into a trunk floor !!! This way, there is more than ample room to tuck in the Aeromotive 20- gallon in tank pump and fuel cell!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381655549.441248.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381655558.106708.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381655579.675702.jpg

64 falcon sprint 468 bbc
    New zealand

14. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

15. 65COMET

65COMET

That picture should make FE happy,Cragars on a Falcon,+ it is looking good!! ROY.

16. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Trunk and car looking good Dale!!.........Al

17. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Mondo mini-tub. A Firestone 10.50-15x30 tire will now rest inside these, unstretched!!!! Actually, I think I can fit a 12.50 tire in here, and will make the attempt!!
    [​IMG]

18. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Looks good! looks same width and location I widened mine, but I'm using 29.5x10.5. I know a W tire will fit with current rims, chassis guy figures with different off-set a 31x10.5 will fit although we took some off front of qtr. at bottom and rolled the lip, tubs went unstretched also. Did I read Roy correct a FE will be fitted too?.....Al

19. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I'm thinking you guys did something like this?:
    [​IMG]

I grabbed onto the two inches or so that was tucked in behind the lip, and this is what gives full use of the tub. Its always tricky to blend the lines in with the fender lip, almost to make it look like it never happened. This one turned out pretty smooth.
    This Falcon is getting an FE- backed by a prepped C-6 Carb'd in the beginning, but I am plumbing it for the Hilborn system thats a bit down the road. My good friend had a fresh FE, in one of his Baja 1000 pre run trucks, but they wanted to swap over to an LS-based platform, to keep parts supply down on the road, I made him a deal, and did the transplant, got the FE!!! I actually got to drive the truck on the street, it made SOLID power!!!

20. 65COMET

65COMET

This is the first I have heard of the FE C-6 installation,lucky bastard!!! ROY.

21. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's pretty slick fabrication,and a pretty good idea!
    That Falcon looks like its gonna be a mean one!

Scott

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Just another poser from Snoke's Metal Shed!!! ROY.

23. powrshftr

powrshftr

It's gonna have to be one mean FE to live up to that car's potential.
    Dale: When you build that thing,just make sure you've got TONS of "the 3 C's":
    Camshaft
    Compression
    &
    Carburetion!

That thing's got easy 10's written all over it...make this one roar,Brother!:)

Scott

24. nuts4fords

nuts4fords

Here is another 64 Falcon that Mr. Snokes worked on. Minitub, subframes and 4 pt. cage. It will be a BFX theme build with a 331 stroker, 4 spd top loader and 9" (3.89). Painted wimbledon white with black interior.

Dale is a very gifted fabricator! Thanks Dale for the awesome work.

Attached Files:

spiffy1937 likes this.
  25. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Nuts4fords, that is a really nice looking ride, like the wheels, stance, color, engine idea, should be a great and quick street car.......Al

26. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Dale mine doesn't come down as straight at the rocker, yours will look OEM, nice job. My painter suggested "leave mine how it was when I purchased it", although he added welding rod to edge for better finish.......Al

27. Nuts4fords your car looks great, but I am kinda partial to a bfx falcon. If you plan on making it a racecar you may want a higher rear gear, I have 4.30s and could use 4.56s probably. Also, on the shifter, I had a hurst comp plus, but the throw is really long. I went to a supershifter 3, which has a much better throw and reverse lockout. The bellhousing I will be getting next is a QuickTime, the McLeod or lack wood style you (and I have) is a pain to fit in the engine compartment and I had to "modify" it to fit headers. Let me know if I can help on anything, hopefully can can avoid some of the hiccups I had. Mike

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382234546.124617.jpg

28. nuts4fords

nuts4fords

Fiveoh108,

That would be great! I would like to get advice from you from what you have experienced.

I went with a 3.80 gear because I intend to use the Falcon on the streets a lot more than the strip. But, I may go with a 4.11 later depending how it works out.

I am considering using Dougs tri-y headers because they seem to be the best fitting. They fit perfect on a 64 Comet Cyclone I once had. However, I would really like to have some long tubes headers for better exhaust flow over the tri-y design. Do you happen to know one that fits well in the Falcons? I may go hydraulic to avoid all the mechanical linkage stuff and will be using the 65 falcon manual steering.

Thanks for the Quick Time bellhousing advice. I was not aware of this difference. I will definetly consider this. I purchased the engine and transmission as a complete setup. It was on a AC Cobra. It was too wild for the owner who swapped it out for a FI 5.0 and 5 speed. It has a McLeod bellhousing and hydraulic clutch. Cool that it has the front shift location which is perfect for the Falcon :)

As for motor mounts, I am hesitant to use the factory stuff. I dont think it will hold up. I have seen a set from Total Control that looks much more beefier. What are your thoughts on motor mounts?

Super thanks man!

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

I would try Crites Restorations for headers,and I would try mocking them up on the motor while its still on a stand,because Mike is right:You will DEFINITELY need to grind a Lakewood clutch can. For header clearance on the driver's side.Better to do it while its easy to get at,than when it's jammed up under the car.:)
    For the mounts,I used stock pieces until the driver's side mount broke and scared the shit out of me,then I just welded it up with two short pieces of flat stock on the sides to make it solid.Works like a charm.You can leave the stock mount on the passenger's side,as it only gets compressed,not stretched,so it will live forever.

Scott

Ps:That is a really beautiful Falcon you have there!

30. myforty40

myforty40
    from Hebron, in

Nothing like a cool ride with a cool stance. Worked at US30 back in the 60's and saw a lot of these. Some local dude ran one. All black as I remember. Ran like hell to