Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead oil pressure sender?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by daddio211, Oct 18, 2013.

1. daddio211

daddio211

Fellas,

I'm looking for an oil pressure sender for my 8BA flathead. Knowing the massive amount of knowledge that exists here I began searching but didn't find an answer. The car will remain 6V ('50 Ford shoebox) so a stock-type sender is fine. I believe that the stock sender is 80 ohm, but I'm not certain.

Besides this one http://macsautoparts.com/1949-59-fo...ges-41a-9278-wg/camid/F50/cp/JS0R3CHL1137826/ does anyone have a part number or vehicle cross reference that will work?

My local mom & pop parts store can't find one, nor can my local NAPA. Suggestions?

2. 36tbird

36tbird

From what I have gleaned over on the Fordbarn.com, there are many different senders, so I will not try to tell you where to go to find the correct stock one for the 'box. It really is all relative anyway. I would say put on a mechanical gauge maybe under the hood somewhere temporarily to see what you got. Then, later, you can hook something up to your gauge and so long as you have something showing you know that you got oil pressure.

3. kendall66

kendall66
    from iowa

check out your local NAPA store, ask them what your looking for. I picked one up there a year ago.

4. daddio211

daddio211

5. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Id consider what 36tbird mentioned. You can pick one up for 10-20 bucks and it will give you a great real reading. I use mech in my 38 and 36, spot on. Then look for a good nos sender.

6. boutlaw

boutlaw

I bought a new repop oil pressure sender for my 52 F1 from Early Ford, looked like the old one (which did not work) and the new one never worked. I even changed to another original guage, still no joy, so ended up going with an old SW direct reading oil pressure gauge. To make it worse, the sender was $40 plus shipping.

BOutlaw

7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I don't know any parts numbers cause back "inna day" when I last fooled with flatheads (been there, done that, wore the damn T shirt out 50 years ago), we got these sending units off junk yard engines, and as long as both the gauge used and the sender matched, it would work. IOW, if the car gauge you're using has a 80# top reading, then the sender had to come from an engine from the same cars that used that gauge. Lower top psi on earlier cars and trucks gauges had to have a sender from an engine in one of the lower psi cars.
    Interesting trick back then when trading in a wore out old Ford on another car, and your trade in had low oil pressure after it got hot. People who knew what to look for in old Ford cars looked for this first clue of a worn out engine.
    But they could be fooled. Cars that came with 80# gauge would show 10-15# more pressure if you installed a sending switch from an earlier car with the the 40 or 50# gauges.
    As the statute of limitations ran out about 50 years ago, I guess you can ask me how I know this little bit of trivia! And hell ,nobody even knew what ohms were, much less had an ohmmeter!

Maicobreako likes this.
  8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Another source would be MAC Motors, in Lockport NY.

4TTRUK

9. daddio211

daddio211

10. Steve '36 5W Cp

Steve '36 5W Cp

Question for the Dirty Old Man from Griffin, Ga, is that really a picture of you?

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yeah Steve, that's me, about 11-12 years ago at the Starlight Drive In theater, in Atlanta on Sunday morning cooking breakfast for the Sock Fuckers Car after an all day Sat and Sat. night blast at the then annual Dixie Fried event on Labor Day weekend. IIRC, I cooked about 5-6# of bacon and maybe 7 dozen eggs for the group and at that time had just met these great folks a few weeks before and hadn't been invited to join the club, just a groupie, so to speak.
    The pretty young lady tying the apron on me is Kim, the wife and crew chief for Dog Patch, owner/driver of the SEGA Gasser "Quick and Dirty". I'm sitting on a stool in that pic and demonstrating that an entire pound package of bacon can be fried at the same time if enough attention and technique is used.

12. chiro

chiro

I always wondered that too. Now we have the answer and a cool story to boot.

Andy