Register now to get rid of these ads!

46 Ford pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by darkk, Oct 18, 2013.

1. darkk

darkk

Well, I didn't think I was going to do another car...truck, but here we are. I purchased a 46 ford 1/2 ton and need some advise on steering. It already has the front axle rebuilt and lowered 3" king pins etc. The original box has been apart but feels pretty good. Should I stick with the original steering gear or is there a much better way? Some of it needs replacing *tie rods, cross arm etc.* maybe the steering arm itself. It doesn't look like it fits well. So, if I have to buy parts anyways, I may as well update if it's advisable. I am putting a SBC motor that I have on hand in the truck..

2. Root Down

Root Down
    from Flint, MI

Once you start you can't stop. Good choice of truck. I will be starting in on a 1946 Ford Pick-up in a couple of months also. Picked up my project in pieces a little bit ago. I have similar questions so hopefully someone chimes in. Good Luck

3. Check your lock to lock number on your box and compare it to a newer box...Most of the tie rods are spring loaded and have a lot of play...replace them with new style joints. If you change over to power steering you do not need that huge steering wheel . All of these changes will make the steering more responsive and tighter. Shorting your steering and pitman arms will also make the steering quicker.

4. olskool34

olskool34

I had a 46 and I really like how the factory setup was. Very easy to turn and stayed straight. Unless it is wiped out, I would just stick the what ford did. Just my 2 cents.

5. Cryptic1911

Cryptic1911
    from Windham CT

Weird, I came here to the hamb to see if you'd posted it yet, and once the forum loaded, my mouse was literally sitting on the thread! All I had to do was click.. hahah

Here's what we've got.. All the tin is there except for the running boards. It's got almost no rot, I think just one small hole? a few dents here and there, and a couple of the fenders have a crack, but overall the body is in very nice condition

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Cryptic1911

Cryptic1911
    from Windham CT

and here's inside the cab. Shifter / trans all stayed with the flathead that was in it:

[​IMG]

7. Root Down

Root Down
    from Flint, MI

Looks like a good project.

8. darkk

darkk

What would be necessary to change to power steering? I know a box and pump...but are there kits specific to this or a recommended chevy, ford etc. Also I haven't been able to find any motor mount or transmission conversion kits to install a SBC motor. I can fabricate all of this stuff, but I'd rather just click the mouse if possible...lol

9. I guess I just have metal problems but I really like this body style,,they are llike a ugly dog,,the are just inherently cool. HRP

10. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

If you can get a early Jag f/end series 2or3,you can't go wrong,p/steer,xclnt braking and it'll drive like new!